The best logging Truck???

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
77 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The best logging Truck???

Ray Cecil
Alright. Options for best logging truck?

Ramp truck?
Crew cab?
F250?
F350?
F600?
Gas or diesel?

My intended use is to go collect as many logs from the local tree services as possible.

What are your thoughts?
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The best logging Truck???

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think we need more info.  When you go to get a log do you have to load it yourself?  How many do you get at one time?  How long are the logs?

My first thought was a ramp truck would be good, but if you have to load them yourself you are going to need a winch.  And then, once that log is loaded you'll need a way to lash it down while you load the next one.  And then lash it down.

But a trailer might be better as it would be longer - if you had a way to get the front end of the log up to start onto the trailer.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Well, right now Ive been cutting logs and winching. Im trying to get in with a tree service that will let me take logs as they cut.

Most tree services can load a trailer or a ramp truck.

Maybe the 99 silverado and the new trailer would be good enough for a little while.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Go big or stay home...

But seriously, I would think an F350 with a good trailer and as Gary asked how will you load and unload it.

Edit: Gas or diesel, either would be my choice, depending on what I found.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Yes, I am leaning towards an F350 and a larger trailer. Id love to have a 4x4 F600 or F700, but dang, those suckers look difficult and unfamiliar to work on. Id be into a whole new world wrenching on those. An F350 is new enough for me. And Ive never owned a diesel, so if I do that....id be learning something.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil

Whats the tow cap on this bad boy?

300 six, 4 speed, F250 4x4.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think the trailer would be a very good start.  And the Silverado would probably tow it just fine.

Does your new trailer have brakes?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Not much more than Little Blue - 3400 lbs.  Ford didn't rate the manual transmissions very high.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I don't see hubs sticking off of that back wheel...….F250 LD?
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
salans7 wrote
I don't see hubs sticking off of that back wheel...….F250 LD?
You got an eye for that Shaun!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
How long is your mill?

Do you really want a fully dedicated vehicle for this?

A medium duty 5, 6 or 700 with a knuckle boom of sufficient capacity is really the ultimate answer.

Check out Matthew Cremona on YouTube for sawmill trailer possibilities.
He built his own with a folding frame and winch to drag/lift logs up into the bed.
Picking up the nose of the log helps a lot!

Don't forget you have to handle them on your end.
How much weight are you really talking about?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gary Lewis wrote
I think the trailer would be a very good start.  And the Silverado would probably tow it just fine.

Does your new trailer have brakes?
No trailer brakes. I was thinking about what it would take to install them. I need to run heavy duty circuit to the rear for a winch anyways, maybe I combine trailer brakes and winch circuit?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gary Lewis wrote
Not much more than Little Blue - 3400 lbs.  Ford didn't rate the manual transmissions very high.
Automatics are looking better and better to me....just saying.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
How long is your mill?

Do you really want a fully dedicated vehicle for this?

A medium duty 5, 6 or 700 with a knuckle boom of sufficient capacity is really the ultimate answer.

Check out Matthew Cremona on YouTube for sawmill trailer possibilities.
He built his own with a folding frame and winch to drag/lift logs up into the bed.
Picking up the nose of the log helps a lot!

Don't forget you have to handle them on your end.
How much weight are you really talking about?
The mill currently is at 10'5" of stroke on the mill head. I am extending it out to 16' soon. No need to go any longer than than. I won't be getting too many logs over 10' on a normal bases anyways. Some 12'ers. I really cannot handle anything longer.

I have seen just about every Youtube Log trailer video there is. I was thinking of going that route. That is why I bought the 16' car hauler. I am heading out today to get a winch. I have two ideas for log loading. I'll see if I can find some similar ideas and snap some photos.

As far as having a dedicated truck. Yes, I think I would like to have one. I plan on collecting as many logs and milling boards as much as I can. I believe I am going to 1/4 saw just about everything I can get my hands on, and make some nice beams.

Ive got the 69' Impala on CL and FB Marketplace right now for sale or trade. I'll take the $$ from that and get outfitted for collecting logs. I'd like to use dad's old truck as much as possible, but for heavier loads, maybe a boom truck is the best option. I am just a little cautious because I know nothing about diesels and working on them will be a brand new adventure.

That being said, is there a better ford diesel? I've seen I think 6.9 and 7.3's. Some have been turbos, and some have been non turbos. Should I be looking for one or the other?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Hard to beat a 7.3 turbo.
Simple, simple to make power, parts are a dime a dozen, and there's a huge enthusiastic fan base.

The one I was going to buy Friday was sold out from under me.
I LITERALLY had cashed my check and was in the bank parking lot.
I had spoken to the guy at 9:30 that morning!  ðŸ˜¡
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - That stinks!

Ray - It is fairly easy to put electric brakes on a trailer.  They make kits for it and it is just bolt-on and wire.  Our boat trailer came with hydraulic brakes that were nothing but rust, and I converted it to electric.  Branden's trailer that I used to go get Big Blue in Florida had brake problems and I put new electric brakes on it.  And if the load is big I REALLY like having brakes on both axles.

On the winch wiring, I think you'll be better off installing a battery on the trailer and running wiring capable of keeping it charged rather than running wiring capable of powering the winch all the way from the vehicle's battery.  A winch can pull a lot of power and having a battery close to the winch will work better.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Hard to beat a 7.3 turbo.
Simple, simple to make power, parts are a dime a dozen, and there's a huge enthusiastic fan base.

The one I was going to buy Friday was sold out from under me.
I LITERALLY had cashed my check and was in the bank parking lot.
I had spoken to the guy at 9:30 that morning!  ðŸ˜¡
We have all that that experience Jim, and it does SUCK! But sometimes, when you lose one deal, the next one is even better!!

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gary, yes. I think electric brakes are going to happen. I have a brake controller in Little Blue 82. I don't plan to haul with little blue, so I will install that onto the Silverado. Then, buy an electric brake kit. Any suggestions on which kit to purchase? I plan to go ahead and replace axle bearings just to have the piece of mind that they are brand new. So, while in there, I will install brakes.

I believe you are right about the battery. I'm not sure what the circuit would look like, as I am not very good at electronics.

I think I will go ahead and outfit this trailer and see how the Silverado performs with it. If it is clear that I will need a heavier truck....I might just get one!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I guess anger is the wrong emoji..

😖   Absolute frustration is more like it.

"It's yours if you want it. It's not going anywhere."
Seven hours later, poof, it's gone.
You have my number.
Call me and tell me it's a race for who comes first, with the cash!
At least, call and tell me you've sold it.  ðŸ™„
 Jim,