The best 7 blade Ford fan is made by GM?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The best 7 blade Ford fan is made by GM?

Littlebeefy
Hi guys,
My fascination this month is with fans. I truly believe that for our trucks with basically any engine, the best option is a clutch fan with possibly electric pushers up front for extremes and A/C etc. I know people who have had a clutch fail at an inopportune moment will disagree. To each his own.

That argument aside, what is the best clutch fan for a 460? I thought it was the 7 blade from the 70s trucks D8TZ-8600-A. That is 19.5" and has a 2.25" pitch, right? I've seen what looks to be a couple of different versions of these depending on what year truck they came out of. Not sure what the real difference is, if any. These are surprisingly hard to find. That's why I don't doubt that they are worth using.

However, I was really surprised when I read this post talking about the GM 7 blade 19.5" fan. The writer compares it to the Ford 5 blade fan over which it has a clearly significant CFM advantage. I checked the clutch specs (Hayden 2797 and 2799) and it seems that the clutches are identical with the exception of the pilot diameter, implying that the GM fan and Ford fan are completely interchangeable. Has anyone here ever compared these two fans side-by-side? Is anyone out there running the GM 7 blade fan on their Ford?

If not, is there anyone out there who has a 7 blade Ford fan sitting on a shelf? If so, I can get my hands on a GM fan and we can both post our measurements here and compare for everyone's benefit. Chime in here if you can help settle this.

Thanks!
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The best 7 blade Ford fan is made by GM?

85lebaront2
Administrator
I had a 7 blade fan years ago on a 1958 MEL 430 in a 1958 Country Squire it would move some air. What it came from, I am not sure, it came with the ex-NASCAR 430 I was given (belonged to Bill Champion and came with a Algon injection setup and headers that were obviously for a "Square-Bird" body).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The best 7 blade Ford fan is made by GM?

Littlebeefy
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
The plot thickens!

I just found a Mopar fan from the mid 70's that might be the new reigning champion of CFM. Check out 3462186:

This is a 20" fan, so it might be too tight for a standard shroud (but I am currently running a 20" Derale in a standard 460 shroud without issue). The pitch on this fan is 2.75" versus the 2.25" on the Ford 7 blade. The clutch bolt diameter is still 3.25" so it should fit with a stock clutch.

I'm sure this thing sucks horsepower, but I challenge you to find a fan that will move more air than this on a BBF. And the best part is, you can actually find these fans just laying around!
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior