378 messages Options
1234 ... 19
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Return of Rusty

ClayJ
Good morning gentlemen,

As of yesterday I am the new owner of the red headed step child known around these parts as Rusty. The family and I made the drive East to Longview, TX where Rusty has been sitting since being sold by Gary to my FiL a few years ago. So my FiL had his mechanic go through Rusty prior to us showing up, just wanting everything to be safe so I can drive him home to Glen Rose on Sunday. Here's a list of the things the mechanic did to Rusty.
- Replaced rear brakes and wheel cylinders
- Replaced front brakes and calipers
- Replaced engine flywheel and spacer
(Flywheel was cracked and making a ticking noise at idle.)
- Packed front wheel bearings and replaced seal.
- Replaced battery
- Replaced Hot/Cool cable for HVAC control
- Changed Xmsn fluid and replaced filter
- Serviced all gear boxes
- Cleaned and undercoated bottom of truck (looks sharp!)
- Changed engine oil and filter (20w50)
- Replaced (1) license plate bulb
- Replaced FR side maker bulb

So it looks like the FiL kept these boys busy for about two weeks in preparation for me to come pick Rusty up. I drove him from the shop back to their home in Longview at the end of the day yesterday and he ran great. I'm really excited to get to know this truck. So I'm already working on a list of other things to work on once I get him home.

Repairs to make:

- Replace windshield ( has what looks like a big rock hit just in front of the driver just above the cowl that has run the entire length of the glass vertically)
- Fix tachometer
- Fix A/C
- Fix radio and speakers
- Check steering shaft joint (rubber boot is cracked, slight play in joint)

I haven't had much time to crawl underneath or do any rag maintenance but I can surely get to that this coming week.

That's it for now, just wanted to give a quick update that Rusty is alive and well!

Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Return of Rusty

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  Those things should make it a good, safe trip.

On your list of things to do might be a new set of tires.  Those have quite the howl to them from roughly 45 MPH up.  No hurry, but you might want to hear the sweet sound from the Magnaflow muffler.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I always wondered what happened to this truck. Glad to see it's still around!
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Well guys so much for making the trip home to Glen Rose with Rusty. We were cruising about 60-65 going west on I 20 when I started feeling a vibration and suddenly lost power to the wheels. I eased back on the accelerator only to get no acceleration and a horrible clattering, grinding noise. I was able to coast to an off ramp in Canton and get out of traffic. I shifted to park and shut Rusty off. My mind instantly goes to flywheel. The mechanics and my FiL's shop had just had the C6 out and replaced the flywheel and had to fabricate a spacer ring. When I asked them about the spacer ring they said they figured the flywheel cracked due to not having a spacer when they removed everything. Not being able to find a replacement they used the old flywheel to build a spacer. The crack in the original flywheel also makes me think there is something else wrong. Bent crankshaft? The crack was between mounting bolts in the direction of rotation from what I'm told. So unfortunately Rusty is on a tow truck headed back to Longview.

Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh no!  So sorry!

So the new flywheel cracked?

I'm pretty sure the crank is not bent.  I put 3000 miles on that engine to and from Delaware from Ok.  And many more besides.

But what do you mean by "spacer ring"?  Is that the metal plate that goes between the block and the transmission?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Right now that's just a guess as to what broke. Won't be able to tell without dropping the xmsn. I'll see if I can get pictures of this spacer ring so we all have a better understanding. I think flywheel because after I shut Rusty off I tried to crank him again and it did not sound good so i immediately stopped.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If it is a lack of an engine plate, the piece that goes between the engine & the block, then I have an extra you can have.  But I'm doubting that I didn't put one in there.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Gary I'll definitely let you know what we find out about this spacer and thank you for the offer. I just can't see that plate not being there. Nonetheless Rusty is back where we started at the shop. I've got a message in with the mechanic so hopefully they can get it torn down and inspected tomorrow. Good thing is we have made it home safely even though I'll admit I'm a bit disappointed with how today turned out. Especially because my wife had to pick me up in her Hyundai.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Doing some reading and came across this article http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/220

Has anyone had this happen?
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
ClayJ wrote
Doing some reading and came across this article http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/220

Has anyone had this happen?
Ive never had that issue because most of my vehicles have been chevys!!! Ok ok, sorry. Bad joke.

Joking aside. I guess the first thing to check is that the spacer plate is there. Then, if it is,  maybe the spacer could be the wrong one? Is that even possible? Are there different thicknesses for those plates.

You know, ive never understood why ford puts those spacers in there. I mean, whats the point? Why not have the block or bellhousing a little thicker? I know GM doesnt use them.

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Ray,

I've primarily been a Chevy guy as well so I don't have any experience with these spacers. The plate that Gary shared a picture of is completely different than what these mechanics are talking about. They told me they used part of the old flexplate to fabricate a spacer since they couldn't find one. I was suspicious until the mechanic who's an old timer told me he's done this repair countless times and he did correctly identify the ticking as a broken flexplate. He's also a former Ford master technician, not to say he can't make mistakes. I'm very curious to see what it looks like when they take it apart. Unfortunately I'm 3 hours away.

Gary, do you recall dowell pins being installed the last time you worked on Rusty and his C6? I would think with the plate installed and the dowell pins aligned the only issue causing the crack would be incorrect runout on the crank or incorrect/ loose hdwr on the flexplate.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't remember installing the transmission, so I can't truly answer the question.  I didn't rebuild the engine, although I did install two different transmissions behind it - a ZF5 and the C6 that's behind it now.  The ZF5 was used probably 5K miles, but of course that used a solid flywheel.

As for the C6, I'm going to guess that I put a couple of thousand miles on it.  I know I pulled the ZF and had it rebuilt long before I sold Rusty, so it had the C6 for a while.

But again, I don't know that the dowel pins are there.  I just don't remember.  Sorry.

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
No worries Gary. Just kind of thinking out loud. I'll keep this page updated with what we find out.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Ford used the steel plate to positively locate the starter motor.
GM starters bolt on sideways and can be shimmed out.

I've never had a problem with the plate but I know a few who have had to pull the flexplate or flywheel because they forgot.

Sorry for your troubles Clay.
We're all rooting for Rusty!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Thanks Jim,
We'll get this figured out and get Rusty home, just a matter of time. I looked through both the engine and transmission parts diagrams and did not see this mystical spacer. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the engine plate at this time.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've never encountered a spacer (or shim) on the crank.

But I haven't been that deep into many 335 series automatics either.

Maybe it was used because the starter wasn't disengaging?
Maybe pump engagement was marginal?

I suppose you'll have to ask the mechanic who decided to put it in there.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I have seen a reinforcement used on a flex plate before, and broken the center out of a few GM 5.7L Diesel flex plates (and one crank). Item of interest, friend of ours (mine and Matt's) had an Explorer that kept breaking the aftermarket flex plates till the "mechanic" working on it refused to touch it again. I bought a new one from Ford along with the reinforcement plate. Got my friend in a transmission shop to order the aftermarket one. The reinforcement was spot welded to the plate creating hard spots which then cracked.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Other than the engine plate there is no spacer for the flex plate on an M-block:

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
I'm going to have to follow this one. I've seen reinforcement plates used on very few Ford engines, and the ones that I have seen aren't USA sourced, or really Ford engines. I've only seen them used on Cologne engines, 7.3 diesels, and possibly early Vulcan engines.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Just spoke to the mechanic who is looking at Rusty back in Longview. He confirms that the engine plate and dowel pins are installed. Unfortunately he won't be able to get Rusty on the lift until tomorrow morning, however he will send me pics whenever the tear down begins. Yet another reason to save up for a shop in the backyard here at the new house in Glen Rose. Of course I've been obsessed with trying to figure out what could have happened from afar and came across a Ford document on how to troubleshoot a broken flexplate and thought I would share.

Flexplate_troubleshooting.pdf
1234 ... 19