classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The "Hidden" Hitch

BigBrother-84
Hi gentlemen!

I didn't pay attention when restoring BigBrother, and discovered last weekend that the new rear chrome bumber is probably larger than the original (which I didn't kept, too rusty and lot of pucks).
The hitch is now very far under the bumber, and the ball mount is now too short, so the ball is almost stuck to the bumper side.
I went to local shops to find a hitch replacement, they all have the same answer:  This is the only listed model available.
I ordered longer ball mount, but this solution results in a lower towing charge capacity.
Cannot move the hitch further, already at the frame limit.
Am I the only one with this problem?
Any suggestion?

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The "Hidden" Hitch

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The one on Darth is partially integrated into the rear bumper. The actual receiver is welded into the drop down portion in the center (makes it a bear to remove). I can see what I have in pictures and take some tomorrow if needed. Hitch is a V5 rated beast.

Hope these help.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The "Hidden" Hitch

BigBrother-84
Hi Bill,
You're right, this seems to be a "tough" setup.
I'll search info about it.
Thanks!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.