"The Great Unscrewing"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
63 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

"The Great Unscrewing"

railwayboiii
Hi guys! My name is Gid, I'm just shy of 21, and live in Chicago. I've had a lust for Bullnoses ever since I was 14 and made the decision to buy a 85' 2ED EFI 302W  last year. Unfortunately for me, I should have done my homework more. I'm a big rail buff, and volunteer at my rail museum fixing and repairing railcars, but this is the first time I've ever had to get physical with a car. Alot has been learned, but there is still much more to go.

I can't believe this thing runs, which makes me happy, but she has alot of work to do until I can get her on the road again. I'm begging for your help to untangle this mess so I can finally get on the road with my Bull!

here she is!

Here are some of the issues I have with her, I can't tell if they are all connected or just multiple things failing at once

1. runs incredibly rich
(I think this may be due to a improper cat delete the last owner tried, I have no cat converter, but I can't seem to find where the O2/Air Fuel Ratio sensor is)

I'm thinking if I put the O2 back on for now, maybe the computer will readjust the readings so it will run leaner again, I also know that some stuff can be done with the computer, but I have no idea how.

2. bad shorts at the TAB/TAD solenoids. For some reason, they were very rusted and shorting at the connection points, the engine did NOT like this. I'm having a hard time finding new TAB/TAD solenoids, so I'm wondering what I can do to get it on the road temporarily.

3. locked brakes/wheel bearings. Both front bearings are shot. I'm in the process of replacing them now, it seems fairly straight forward, so I don't need much in the way of advice now.

4. she LOVES to slip and slide at the slightest touch of the pedal, I can't tell if this is due to the mixture errors or just me having to get used to a old girl!

Your advice is invaluable!!!

Thank you so much!

-Gideon, Northwest Indiana strong, hopelessly crazy for trains!

"Bluejay"-

1985 F150, 2WD w/ 302W EFI

"The Best Never Rest!"

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: "The Great Unscrewing"

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome Gid!  

I'd imagine your truck is in limp home mode If the O2 delete doesn't include some way to trick the ECM.

The solenoid shouldn't be impossible to find. You may find they're expensive though.

Does your truck have a rear locker?
Jack it up and spin one wheel by hand.
Does the other side go the same direction, or opposite?

If you're a rail fan, do you know anything of the Youngstown Heritage museum?
They're doing great work at keeping stock alive, and sharing with the public.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by railwayboiii
Welcome, Gid!  Glad you joined.  

Is it really Chicago?  I ask because I used to live in Elgin and when people asked I'd say Chicago 'cause they wouldn't know Elgin but would Chicago.

And, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if I knew the town.

So, pizza?  Lou's??????  

Rail?  My father and brother were both hog heads (locomotive engineers to the rest of you), but I was a brakeman during my 16 months while I went to school.  The Santa Fe, prior to BNSF, out of Arkansas City, KS going south.

On the truck, it sounds like you have several problems.  I'll sit back and read the mail while Jim helps you 'cause it can get confusing with several jumping in at once.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
O2 sensor for the 1985-86 302s is in the rear of the right exhaust manifold. If the manifold was changed, the replacement may not have had a place for it.

Two options if this is the case, get a correct manifold (may be a problem) or have an exhaust shop put a bung in the exhaust pipe. On that location you will need to probably use a heated O2 sensor for it to work properly.

Nice looking truck!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I'm afraid I can't offer much expertise with the TAB and TAD solenoid.
I've seen them and understand the function, but I've never really had to troubleshoot them.
Seems like replacement is in order, anyhow....

Maybe their Motorcraft numbers would turn something up.
Time to call in David, with his uncanny eBay sleuthing abilities
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

railwayboiii
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
No sir, my truck is base package, all my bearing issues have been primary up front though.

"Bluejay"-

"The Best Never Rest!"

Reply | Threaded
|

railwayboiii
Yea, I love the Youngstown Steel! I enjoyed my time there, especially being from NWI, where we have mills!

"Bluejay"-

"The Best Never Rest!"

Reply | Threaded
|

railwayboiii
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Guilty as charged! I'm actually in Northwest Indiana!!!! I had some kinda of fickle feeling too I would find rail guys here!! Must be some of that good Bullnose tastes! :P

I'm actually not a big fan of deep dish! Give me pub style thin-crust any day!!

"Bluejay"-

"The Best Never Rest!"

Reply | Threaded
|

railwayboiii
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
I'll take a look in the morning if it's there. The manifold I am almost certain is original, so I'll cross my fingers and hope it's there! And thank you for the complement!! She sure shines, it's been the reason I haven't given up on her!

"Bluejay"-

"The Best Never Rest!"

Reply | Threaded
|

railwayboiii
I was able to get the pull the numbers on other solenoid on the same bracket, but the TAD/TAB's just seem so oddball. I was wondering if I could slam jam a Mustang one into it, but I just have a weird feeling about it.

"Bluejay"-

"The Best Never Rest!"

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I meant that someone (prolly before you were born) had a locker installed.

Even with Dana's TracLoc the truck should just lift and spin the inside tire.
If you find it kicking out and acting squirrelly there's a reason.... and it probably didn't come from the factory with it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm sure with a little backyard engineering you could likely get any vacuum operating solenoid to function for now.
But if the part numbers cross over, why not get ones that are direct replacement?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

railwayboiii
I actually just found a new entire bracket assembly, thank god! One more thing off the list!

"Bluejay"-

"The Best Never Rest!"

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oh cool!  

Plug 'n play parts are always nice.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

railwayboiii
I see what you are saying about the rear now. Right now, I got it up to redo the brakes and bearings, so I will take a gander when I'm done!

"Bluejay"-

"The Best Never Rest!"

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Nice looking truck Gid, and seems to be in pretty decent condition for a northern rig.

Have you purchased a code reader yet?

https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3145-Ford-Digital-Reader/dp/B000EW0KHW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I understand that there is a way to get the codes with a paperclip, but I'm not personally familiar with that, and the code reader is only $30 bucks.

Hopefully Vinny will pop by, he is really good with the 302 EFI trucks.

I'm not much help unfortunately.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There's info on checking codes with test lights and analog volt meters on our page here: Documentation/Electrical/Electronic Engine Control (EEC).  But the reader is the best way.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I have a good used set for 1985-86 302 EFI.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

railwayboiii
Thank you so much, but a brand new one is nearly here from Texas! I need to check my replies more often or start working less LOL. 14 hours of sleep is crazy!

"Bluejay"-

"The Best Never Rest!"

Reply | Threaded
|

railwayboiii
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
It is my understanding that there is only 1 O2 sensor right? Just want to make sure before I get the part.

"Bluejay"-

"The Best Never Rest!"