The Great Seat Question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Great Seat Question

Danny G
I am at a cross roads. It is time to put the seats back in.

Looking at the stock bench I can reupholster this set with some Corinthian vinyl,, new foam, new wire support, and back cover for about $550 in parts, heck could drop in some seat heaters while I'm at it and bump that to about $700.

Is this a massive undertaking? Is it worth it? I am afraid I will get into this and find the seat is not worth saving or I cant get it right.

The other option is some seats from TMI. I saw a bullnose build with these where they put a 4.6 into. The bracket is $240, a split bench is $1200. If you want buckets they can be had in high back or low back with head rest for about $1400, low back for $900.  I guess when you start talking $700 for a "this may work" with some figurative language and time vs $1200 for this will work, its warrantied, probably a sturdier seat, and just bolt it in... that $500 difference doesn't seem so big.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Great Seat Question

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I assume you've looked at the page in Documentation/Interior/Seat Interchangeability?

As for your questions about cost, a few years ago I had two Bronco captain's chairs and a headliner done for just over $1000.  So if it costs $700 for the parts I'd have it done.

And if you are considering buckets, I wouldn't go with the captain's chairs as they are a bit too tall.  I think the low-back buckets would be better.

But if you might ever want to put three people in the cab I'd seriously consider the later split bench seat.  Some have an armrest that could be really helpful.  And with the seat pan they should bolt right in and use the reinforced mounting spots.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I did not install the middle lap belt, plan to leave it a two seater even with a bench.

The mounting bracket made by tmi uses the existing holes to mount buckets with a center console. TMI's buckets are the same dimensions as their bench but with a headrest.

Corbeau also makes a mount like this for their seats. This allows buckets to sit as low as the factor bench, with 7-10 inches of added back height ( mostly, if not all head rest).

Actually the corbeau buckets are only $600/pair and are significantly cheaper than TMI. You would have to make your own center console I believe. But for the repair price you get new seats in this case.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Here is a picture of how TMI's low back buckets fit in a 1985 F-150. They sell this bucket with the option of a head rest, which I personally prefer for safety reasons.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish with the truck.  If you are going for the "period correct" look then the Bronco low-backed buckets would be my choice.  But if you aren't concerned about it looking like it came in the truck then the more modern seats might be better.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Those bronco type low back by buckets are nice. I'm still torn lol it will take me.a bit to decide.

It's a 3 way tie for me Reupholster with new foam and heaters, low back buckets, or new bench.

With that said... There is a wire that ties the slide mechanism from each side of the bench. Mine is out of sorts has a couple springs hanging so when you pull the lever it actually reduces tension on that cable.

Any clue on how this cable should run?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are talking about the wire shown below (Documentation/Interior/Seats & Seat Tracks) - right?  If so, I'm guessing that your left and right sides are out of sync.  To fix that you pull the lever and move one side to line up with the other.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Yes that 61726 wire is there, the spring over the passenger side of this wire was loose and hanging, there is another loose and hanging on the driver side and 61726 where it connects do the drivers lever was bent out of whack. I slipped everything back together I'm pretty sure like that picture, but maybe the PO had the wire in the wrong hole. When I actuate the lever it loosens the wire. This makes sense if the wire is in the hole marked in red on this shot.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The wire should get tight and release the latch on the far side.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Danny G
My seat works, I mean I drove that bad boy for like 11 hours and was fine. I am worried if I repair it then it will tear up again. It doesn't hurt my feelings to have a 100% stock looking interior in that respect. I mean I am looking at a after market head liner, gauge cluster, and radio. Ad to that the interior is 2 toned in black and saddle tan etc.

A more modern seat would be safer in my eyes, more comfortable. Those are the low back pro classics in the picture, they have shallower bolster then the low back pro's have but are essentially the same seat and the low back pro has a head rest option. One nice thing about having low back buckets like in that picture with head rests is the safety aspect.God forbid you get in a wreck, your seat belt may stop you from smashing your face into the steering wheel, but every action has an equal and opposite correct.... your head is then heading into the back window like a pinball. A headrest could very well be the difference between being a vegetable/dead, and surviving a crash, especially since the highway speed has changed from 55mph to 70-80mph. We get about 1 dozen idiots playing NASCAR on my drive home every day at 90 with 6 feet of space between them and the person in front of them and that isn't an exaggeration. I was doing 80mph today and got passed by multiple vehicles like I was standing still, we have very limited highway patrol resources so there is no deterrence, even with the unnecessary rate of highway death here.

Side by side of the buckets, Pro- Classic Low back (26.5" height), Pro Low back (26.5" height), Pro Low back w/headrest (26.5"back height + 8.5" head rest) and stock bench has a back height of 26.5" as well. so they will all sit in the same plane.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You have a good point about the head rest.  The rear window is dangerously close, and just getting rear-ended will put your head into it hard.

So maybe set your stock bench to the side and try the buckets with head rests?  Hopefully the head rests angle such that they aren't stopping the seat from sliding back fully, like the captain's chairs appear to do.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
The 87 Bronco has a good set of high back buckets and a good condition console. Ive considered swapping them into my 82 Flareside, but I love fitting both my boys in the truck. Id part out the bronco seats to you if my buddy is done messing with the bronco. He gave it to me, but I dont really consider making money off it. If I make anything, I am giving him the cash.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
TheScatch wrote
...about $550 in parts, heck could drop in some seat heaters while I'm at it and bump that to about $700.
Seat heaters can be had for FAR less than $150/pr.  These were in the $35-50/pr range.

Your other prices look high, too.
TheScatch wrote
your head is then heading into the back window like a pinball. A headrest could very well be the difference between being a vegetable/dead, and surviving a crash...
The back glass isn't strong enough to hurt your skull; and it's safety glass, so it won't turn into shards that will penetrate - just cubes that can cut.  The real risk is whiplash (closed-skull brain injury) caused by the shoulders & neck moving so fast (due to the chair's low back) that the skull rotates faster than the brain.  So the interior convolutions of the skull rake across the brain at high speed, like a cheese grater.  There are no symptoms for hours or a day, followed by slow demented death a few days later.

So I'd never use a chair without a headrest (which is NOT just for comfort).  I put these 3-way powered (plus manual recline) E-series chairs in my Bronco, but there are better JY options nowadays:

Heated/cooled chairs are now common & affordable (though the cooling relies on the truck's A/C to work well, and the heat isn't as effective as the simple pads).  I wouldn't use chairs with on-board belts because these trucks' floors aren't strong enough for that.  The cab is only strong enough for the factory belt locations.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Steve I think you and I are on the same page here. Brain injury would be my top concern and what your talking about is exactly why headrests are standard safety features in all vehicles now a days.

Gary I am concerned about clearance like you mentioned as well. But I see a lot of guys put in benches out of OBS generation trucks that have built in or adjustable head rests that would be at about the same level as a low back bucket with head rest. High back pro classics could be another option in this case.

The prices are a bit high probably because the seats I am looking at are TMI. If they were say Corbeau they would be way cheaper. A set of buckets there can go for $500/pair + $218 for the Ford mount.

TMI installation:
TMI's ford bracket is $240 from LMC; $290 from TMI.
TMI's Pro Classic low backs are $1170/pair, High backs $1,819/pair, Pro low backs $1209/pair, Pro Low back with head rest $1390/pair. Free shipping

Rebuilding the Bench:
New vinyl $213 -> $242.66 delivered from Rock Auto/ACME
New back panel and hard ware $43 + $20 large part fee
New seat foam $280 + $20 large part fee
New Seat support $13
Found a 4 pack of seat heaters for $80 includes your choice of switch style
Totals out to $699 + whatever I end up doing to fix the slide release + $32 LMC shipping.

So it comes out to rebuild old bench $731 vs $1630 for TMI seats with headrests. There will be a quality and safety difference and I have seen a few people mention that the replacement vinyl for these benches wearing out after as little as a year. If there is any issue with my rebuild I own it, if there is any issue with new TMI seats, they own it.

Cost on this truck will always be a consideration, and how much OT at work it takes to cover it lol. I'm blessed with a decent job that has the benefit of paying double time for anything over 12 hours and Sunday work, but as my wife said, if headrests save you a MRI from a car wreck, the $900 cost savings of those seats are a lot less.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
This is a great discussion with great points of view. I hope it helps someone some day who inevitably gets to the point in asking "What should I do with my seats"

That and Steve's links with his seat heater schematics are pretty invaluable.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Talked to TMI. The best fit is going to be the Pro Classic low back buckets with choice of console. They said the head rest ones fit but you start running into issues with room in the truck. Those seats are a bit wider.. Deeper? Thicker? not sure but yea that's where that issue rests right now.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Possibly, with the head rest model, the head rest contacts the rear glass before the seat is at its furthermost position?
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
could be possible that or it would have to be pretty straight backed. He didn't say they wouldn't work, just that the classics worked the best. The bolsters are also less extreme. I think I may go that route maybe and then I had plans to make my own window mounted leather head rests.