classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Frankentruck

NotEnoughTrucks
This post was updated on .
Well, Gary has finally shamed me into starting an album!

Truth is, I usually can't find my pictures in my disorganized mess, but find them I did and it's time to start telling the story.

Some of these pics are old already and certainly not seasonable, so I'll try my best to describe what is going on. I don't have garage space for this project at this point, but there is plenty of space at my good friend's acreage and he is kind enough to let me store all my various projects and pieces there. Work on the Frankentruck has been a fair weather project, so the whole scene does become rather backyardish, but it is a good day when I get out in the sun to turn a few wrenches.

Up here in Canada, Kijiji is a popular way to buy and sell privately. Much like Craigslist. I found a pair of single cab SWB 4X4 bullnoses one day.

Red one was a 1980 Lariat with a 351M. No starter or steering column. Black one was an 86 with a 5.0 and an SROD.

The trucks were beat up pretty bad, but the seller claimed the black one had been running, but mysteriously quit. Sounded like fuel pump to me. They were a few hundred kilometers away, but I went to look, taking along my oldest son, some tools and spare parts and even a towbar should I bring one home. Wouldn't you know it, the black one started right up! A deal was struck for both trucks and the red truck went on the towbar. We actually used the black truck to pull the red truck home. Of course the truck quit half way home, but we cheated a bit and jumpered the fuel pump at the test connector and made it back home intact.

That  5.0 with the SROD made some impressive mileage, even towing the red truck and my son fell in love with it, promptly claiming it as his own. It was an impressive off roader as well, once we changed the tires. The door tag claimed 3.55 gears with a limited slip in the back.

The running problem eventually was traced to a missing ground in the EFI harness. A replacement harness was found and the truck ran perfectly.

Well, in short order, my son got into one of those challenges with a Toyota owner as to who could ford the deepest stream. Never underestimate an F150! Unfortunately, this also led to ingesting some water and he locked the engine up tight. I had a 5.8 from a 92 available and I suggested to him that he owed me an engine swap. He tackled this project, but ultimately lost interest and I got my F150 back in pieces.

Meanwhile, a friend pestered me about the red truck and I eventually sold it to him.

So, the hunt was on for better body parts so I could resurrect the 86.

I'll edit this thread later as I think there may be pictures of the various donors, but what I have settled on is the 86 frame and drivetrain, including the SROD transmission. Every panel on this truck was beyond reasonable salvage, so a cab swap was in order. I originally obtained a 2WD 84 F150 with possibly the best floor I have ever seen!

There were a few issues with this cab. Originally a 300 six with AT, there was no clutch linkage and the linkage on the 86 was a cobbled together mechanical setup that never really worked well. The driver's door was dented, but the passenger side was perfect. Also, the transmission hump had never been cut out for the floor shifters.

So, I acquired an 87 F250 2WD with a manual transmission as insurance salvage. There had been a small underhood fire, but the cab was very good. This truck had the hydraulic clutch linkage as well as the NP435 bellhousing with the external clutch slave cylinder. Turns out this also fits the SROD. I obtained the correct balance flywheel and installed it along with the 5.8. The engine may change yet as I have acquired a couple of the roller cam 5.8's as well as a V8 Explorer with the GT40 heads. I'll get it rolling and running first with the earlier engine.

I found a box in decent shape on Kijiji and I had a decent set of doors from the 92 engine donor that also had power windows and locks, so the truck is starting to take shape.

I have a clean set of fenders, a rad support and a hood waiting as well. Cab will require a small modification for that lower fender mount.

Turns out I like the 87 dash better than the original bullnose dash. I also do not have a decent dash pad for the bullnose interior, so I'm sticking with the 87 style interior. The wiring layout is much cleaner on the 87 too. I'm registering by frame serial # and the original VIN can be applied to the replacement cab. Been through that hoop already with the local authorities. So, it remains an 86 F150.

I have driven an 84 F150 2WD for a number of years. It's the truck in my avatar and I reluctantly parked it last fall due to rust issues. It will however donate trim, bumpers and a tailgate to this truck along with the long tube Hooker headers and Lightning style exhaust system I had added.

Unfortunately, I can't add my old travelling companion. She rode her last mile as well this fall and she will be missed.

So, that's where it sits today.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Frankentruck

Rembrant
Excellent. I love Frankentrucks! Subscribed.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by NotEnoughTrucks
Wow!  I'm sure glad I kept pestering or we never would have seen this story.  Or, maybe what I should call the "opening chapter" of this story as it obviously isn't over.

It is sad when you lose that companion.  Been there, done that, and still tear up when I think about it, years later.

I agree that the later wiring layout is much cleaner.  Huck's wiring was much more simple, and the '96 harnesses that you and Mark/Dyn Blin sent me will certainly allow me to clean up the wiring on both Big Blue and Dad's truck.  But I still like the old-school dash of the Bullnose era, so I'll have what I think is the best of both worlds.  

It looks like between the two trucks at the top of that post you might have had one set of wheels.  Were they really mixed up that way or did you take a set to get the trucks rolling?

As for the engine, you certainly have choices.  But the Explorer engine is a roller, right?  That and those heads would be a good combo.

Ok, so now we've read Chapter 1.  When do we get the next installation?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Yes, the wheels were mixed and matched as per the pictures when I bought the trucks. Let the turbine wheels go with the red truck. I am a fan of those 10 hole factory wheels and yes, I do have the centers.

I also found a couple more pictures of the box. It has had the wheel arcs replaced and it is pretty clean, but the inner wheel housings need attention.

Also found a few shots of the parts truck with the clean cab. Still have all of this, but disassembled. I'll save that cab for another project.

The Explorer ran, but poorly. Lots of oil leaks and a knocking bottom end. Yes, it is a roller block, but I also have three 5.8 roller motors. Plan is GT40 heads, Explorer intake with the Price Motorsports adapter plates and OBDII on a 5.8 roller block. Might use it in a different project. Not a bullnose, but here's a teaser.

So, there's a lot more out there including Rangers, 87 to 97 F150's and F250SD's, another 86 4X4 that I hope to resurrect, also some neat old cars. I'll get some junkyard tour pics this spring. Winter is finally letting go. Took a walk back there today and it's going to be rubber boot season before the week is out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I like the bullet-hole wheels the best as well.  

That bed looks great!  And an Explorer like Big Blue no less.

So, what is the cross-eyed truck?

As for the engine, I think Paul said "Say, ain't we walking down the same street together
On the very same day?"  What's your plan on the computer?  Core Tuning?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
The black 86 was an explorer as well. Same as the yet unseen 86 longbox single cab 4X4. These trucks also had the Lariat badges.

Bug eyed truck is a 38 Ford. Been collecting these parts for a few years now. Sitting on a 98 Ranger 2WD frame. Also have a 93 5.0 HO/AOD that may make it into this one. As of yet, still unsure. I have so many potential projects out there that I'll never get to them all. Dare I mention my 56 F350 Express or the 41 Ford 2 door sedan, or maybe the Austin A40 Dorset? How about my 68 Barracuda coupe or my 64 Ambassador that I actually drive? I think I have a hoarding problem!

I would be really interested in acquiring my own ability to work with the OBDII ECU's. Problem is, it does seem to be a steep learning curve. Core tuning may be the answer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You don't have a hoarding problem!  You have a wonderful opportunity to store potential projects, an opportunity most of us don't have.  I love it!

But, you have a Bacaruda?  A '68, which would have the round marker lights?  

As for Core Tuning, I'm getting ready to buy their package.  And, I hope I can get them to come to my show.  Maybe you could come and we can sit with them to understand it a bit better?

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by NotEnoughTrucks
NotEnoughTrucks wrote
The Explorer ran, but poorly. Lots of oil leaks and a knocking bottom end. Yes, it is a roller block, but I also have three 5.8 roller motors.
Ray, if you need to make some room you can stick one of those 5.8 roller blocks on the train and send it east...lol. Just kiddin. A complete 5.8 roller short block popped up locally on Kijiji a few weeks ago, and it sold the same day. I didn't need it for anything, but was going to grab it for a future project. A second Bullnose is already in the planning stages...lol.

I like your truck farm, and that 2-tone blue box looks great in the pictures.

PS: If you ever come across a Bullnose 4x4 flareside, let me know. I'd travel to pick one up if it was decent enough. I search kijiji coast to coast every other day looking for must-have projects!

Keep the info coming. Great stuff.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995