The Forum Isn't Secure - Is That An Issue?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Forum Isn't Secure - Is That An Issue?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Google is upping its push to get every website in the world to HTTPS, meaning secure communications to/from.  Our site and forum are not secure.  I can turn security on for the website, but the forum has to be secure first or it won't work.

Nabble, the outfit that provides the forum, has turned security on for several sites, but some are having trouble.  Nabble is working through the issues, but there are still some gotcha's.

So I'd like to hang back and let those riding point collect all the arrows.  That's 'cause I know there's nothing that warrants security on here.  But, does the fact that Google keeps displaying the warning below on your page worry you?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Forum Isn't Secure - Is That An Issue?

Pebcak
No worry here. 

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018, 15:47 Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email] wrote:
Google is upping its push to get every website in the world to HTTPS, meaning secure communications to/from.  Our site and forum are not secure.  I can turn security on for the website, but the forum has to be secure first or it won't work.

Nabble, the outfit that provides the forum, has turned security on for several sites, but some are having trouble.  Nabble is working through the issues, but there are still some gotcha's.

So I'd like to hang back and let those riding point collect all the arrows.  That's 'cause I know there's nothing that warrants security on here.  But, does the fact that Google keeps displaying the warning below on your page worry you?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/The-Forum-Isn-t-Secure-Is-That-An-Issue-tp16884.html
To unsubscribe from Bullnose Enthusiasts, click here.
NAML
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I just noticed it a few days ago myself Gary. Doesn't bother me.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Not an issue for me.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

BuggTruck
Its not an issue for me. I am not aubmitting any cc info. Nor do i use the same email/password combo here as i do anywhere else.
If anyone else does, might think about reevaluating your online security...
1986 f150 2wd standard cab w/ac 302 5l v8 efi 175,000 miles.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I don’t see a warning... but I typically use Safari on my phone. I don’t think it’s a big issue and I agree that it’s better to hold off and wait for Nabble to work the bugs out before switching to the secure format.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, then I won't worry about it because you aren't worried about it.  

But BuggTruck was right - the transmissions to/fro are not encrypted, so when you log on your password is transmitted "in the clear" and can be read.  So you might not want to use the same p/w here as on your bank, or Amazon, etc.

However, we will need to go to HTTPS at some point, and the sooner the better.  Google has stated that they are not presenting sites that haven't gone secure in all search results.  And you can see that our site isn't being presented (impressions) nor clicked on nearly as much as it was just over a month ago.  We were growing pretty significantly then, but aren't now.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I agree, waiting for the bugs to be sorted out is a good idea.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona