classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2208 messages Options
1 ... 34353637383940 ... 111
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

fords4life
What is everyone's thought on motor break-in procedures?  I've certainly read the full gamut of opinions on the internet.  I still need to see if I can dig up the Ford procedure for the '92 long block that I have.  Most of what I have read, people feel the break-in oil isn't needed for a hydraulic block, especially a stock reman.  No ZDDP additives are needed either since it's a roller cam.  Early interval oil change(probably after initial fire/first full heat cycle) will happen, and probably another at 500 miles.  Any thoughts?  I haven't had the opportunity to do a motor replacement like this before so no previous experience to base my decision off of.  As of right now, I have some Valvoline conventional that I'll use for the first few early changes and then I'll switch over the Motorcraft blend.
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Definitely needed for any flat tappet engine.
Not necessary for roller motors.

I don't know what surface finish Ford leaves in the bore, nor what type of rings they use.

Those are the factors I consider when determining to use a dedicated oil, or just some regular non-synthetic.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Wondered if y’all seen this:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/01/16/urban-legend-little-red-shelby-gt500-exp-rises-from-the-dead?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20_January_18_Weekend_Newsletter
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
That's pretty crazy. A lot of very important Mustangs taking their turns to shine this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
The guy was told it wasn’t Lil’ Red because it was crushed! Neat story.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by salans7
Everywhere you look as soon as someone has a 7.3 in the description 14-27k no joke, don't know why. There was a guy here, beat up 1997 7.3l $18,999, why... because he lifted it and it has a 7.3l with 240k miles.

It is as bad as th 1st Gen 12v Cummins guys.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
85lebaront2 wrote
I read things like this and am very grateful that I retired from a major defense contractor. They pay almost all of my and my wife's annual premiums for our Medicare supplement. As far as "free" healthcare, I need to look no further than or VA system. Veterans have died waiting for appointments, there was even one who died in the waiting room. Worst part, it varies wildly from one VA center to another.

My daughter, who had managed at one point to "game the wellfare system", said to me one day "Medicare is free like Medicaid" I straightened her out on that, as I have been paying into it since LBJ started it and still have it taken out of my Social Security check.

The VA almost killed me...TWICE. They say that the worst pain a man will feel is kidney stones. I had two one was 7mm the other 5.5mm stuck in my kidneys and kept blocking the ureter so my kidneys would back up. After a month or so of waiting on surgery, I woke up from the surgery in 10000 times more pain then I went in. Never saw a doctor. They had me on oxy and Vicodin... they wouldn't let me out of the bed to pee in the recovery room until my pain was a 4. They wouldn't even give me a urinal. After about an hour I said my pain was a 4, stood up and pissed blood.

They sent me back to my room, the nurse found me on the floor of the bathroom, still no doctor, brought me one Vicodin. I laughed and said I feel like my inside are being ripped out and I was on more meds than that before I came in. I have an extremely high pain tolerance, like laugh at a broken arm level pain tolerance, I have actually cut myself bad enough I severed and artery and drove myself to the hospital no issue, had my finger caught in a log splitter too, never went in, anesthetic doesn't do much for me either. Heck the stones I had would lay up most people I kept working every day. BUT Kidney stones +distended ureters + kidneys backing up = the most I have ever been in.

She came back and said the doctors couldn't get the stones and put in stints (I was 24, too young for stints and they are extremely painful) so now I have stint pain, and they effectively turned the stones into medieval maces, and my kidneys were at risk of backing up and rupturing.

They put me in a wheel chair with a pocket full of Vicodin and rolled me out on the street. No kidding, 100% didn't care I was worse off than I came in. Told me I would be back in a week... try I dealt with this for 6 months, lived on the peninsula in WA state. 4 hours from Seattle VA hospital. They would tell me to just come in (at this point they prescribed me Vicodin, oxy and morphine tablets all offset by 2 hours), I would be like lady I can barely get down the hall, I'm on 3 narcotics and you want me to drive 4 hours, to get turned around to come back home? Jan 2010-Jun2010 I dealt with this, slept 45mins at a go with heating pads. Showed up in the local ER after an attack was so strong I had to crawl down the hall for help, sill pissing straight blood. The local ER told the VA to shove it and did the surgery. They had me fixed in a day. Walked out pain free but hooked on pills. So I dumped them all less 10 and had to suffer through withdrawals. Yea... screw socialized medicine and the VA. I can go to the VA, but refuse. I have my plan through work I will use. Costs me but I don't care.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
Hey now!

She definitely hasn't been crushed.
Took me to work this morning.  ðŸ˜‰

(And, no. I'd never heard of this vehicle before today)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
So, after a trip to the dentist Thursday where I was pushed off to the hygenist, my face is so swollen that I can't open my right eye and my ears are ringing.

I'm going to the aquarium supply, getting some antibiotics, and THEN going in to the dentist's office to get myself arrested.

Holy ****!
I have nothing against my hygenist and I know she was just doing what she was told.
Meanwhile..,.     😠
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh no!!!!!  So sorry to see that, Jim!

PLEASE BE CAREFUL!  I'll keep you in my prayers.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, I got out of the hospital an hour ago.

Hopefully everything will be alright
Followup on Monday
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hospital!!!  Oh no!  But, you are out so they must think they have you on the path to recovery.  Prayers answered, but I'll keep praying, Jim.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
That is the same VA facility that essentially killed my father-in-law. He was my first wife's father, a two world war Marine veteran. They were doing some surgery on his neck and saw that he had some large calcium deposits in his carotid arteries. The doctor let some of the interns examine and "feel" them. A chunk came loose and lodged in his brain causing a massive stroke. He had walked in and came out in a wheelchair. I believe he stayed there until he passed away. I never met the man as I was on the other side of the country, but did go to Arlington for his interment and later for his widow's interment with him.

At least if I do go to the VA for anything, the Hampton Virginia center is pretty good.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Was it the tooth/gum infection? Ive been so busy, havent been on here much. Im not much of a praying man, but I'll pour one for my brother Jim!! SKOL!
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thank you Ray!

That's the old west spirit!
A jigger of wisky and bite the bullet.

Yeah, I went to the dental clinic last week and asked for antibiotics.
They thought I wouldn't need them.
So I went to the aquarium store, but It was evidently too little too late.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This incident seems the straw that breaks my plans to get the front end done in 'Lil Red before I head down to Swarthmore.

I still have loose ends to tie up, and now I have to go to the oral surgeon.  

I'll still get under there and grease up what I can, and hope I don't need 4wd, because that right universal is SHOT.

This is very frustrating!  ðŸ˜–
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry, Jim.  I pray that your surgery goes well and they resolve the problem.  And that your trip goes well also.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ok,
I have one less tooth, and I'm sure it's not a good idea to be straining while laying on my back under the truck.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
None of us get out of here alive, nor with all our teeth. My dad used to say "its hell getting old"
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - So the surgery was today?  Was it successful?

Ray - While those aren't the words I'd use I do agree with the sentiment.

1 ... 34353637383940 ... 111