2295 messages Options
1 ... 105106107108109110111 ... 115
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The dimensional tolerance, metallurgy and surface finish was nothing like it is today.
Why do you think that cars use 0W20 oil today?
It's not just to reduce pumping losses.... 💡
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, I have seen a number of pictures of failed cams and lifters including roller lifters. The flat tappets I have seen show what is called "spalling" where the hard surface cracks and then essentially crumbles. Most of the lifters are being outsourced to China and I am sure if I could get one of the Chinese lifters and an older US made one (a) I would bet the US made would be a good alloy steel like 4340 and the Chinese will be a carbon steel (b) the Chinese lifters appear to be case hardened, and once the case hardened layer cracks it starts to flake off and the softer metal underneath just wears rapidly.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm not saying there isn't bad metallurgy.
But when you look at something like the old Chevy Berettas, you know, that those cams weren't made in China, and neither were the lifters....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Chevy V8s were bad about wiping lobes, usually an exhaust so the engine would pop back through the carburetor.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Strange things happen when the exhaust has nowhere to go, it's going to find some way out!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
spent gasses seem to retain a little bit of pressure. it's not like it is bled off by the power stroke and a closed exhaust valve, even late opening is going to pop back. there are no points to assume are unimportant. the crown must fit the cam so that the driving surface of the cam is well offset to cause the lifter to rotate as it reciprocates. this rotation allows the cam to polish the lifter and vice versa. if not, then the cam wears a groove into the lifter face and creates a detent and it's all over from there. remember, the cam is rotating and using all of its surface against a spinning disc face. if not spinning then the contact point gets "ground" and super-heated.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This is why a really fubar cam chain spits back through the carb and can't get out of its own way
The charge has multiple times the amount of fuel it really wants, and the valves won't close in time to build decent compression.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
My boss asked me to differentiate myself at the workplace

Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

essmaker
Lol. And backed in like a boss!
Erik

1985 F150 4x4 - 351W, C6 - work in progress
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Yes sir! Proud of the Bullnose! Gotta show it.
Vivek

- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by essmaker
Always be ready for a quick escape!

How is it you can park wide open in the nether regions of something the size of Delaware, and when you hike back some (kind person!) 🙄
Has parked nose to nose...... and another so close you need a can opener to get in.

3 vehicles in a SEA of asphalt, and they need to mate with you?  ðŸ˜¡ðŸ’¥
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
If I find a Tesla in a SEA of asphalt, I always park the 460 right next to it. Yin and Yang
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Interesting, the dichotomy between you and me.

I don't know if I like you anymore.

You would definitely not be driving away from your space, and the engine might never turn again.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Can I say 'I'm pleading the 5th' here ?
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Come to CT.
Pull that stuff w/ me and I will split a quart of sulphuric acid drain cleaner between both tanks.
Then I will rip out all 4 of your valve stems with a big pair of side cutters.

There was a guy in the NMSH a while back, and he had "a smell" in his truck.
This isn't a decomp in a trunk ,  in  summer kinda situation, just "a bad smell"
This is difficult for me, because I need detail, to function.

We talked about things that smell gross, and how it happens
Three posts later his response was "remind me NEVER to (make you angry) 😳

Sometimes hard lessons are the best lessons.
You'd definitely never forget the ones I suggested to him.  ðŸ¤£
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I've decided.
THIS is why I want nothing to do with 60% of Americans under 45.

I can't go soon enough.

*Trim realization, that I edited into above post*
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44

We don't want everyone to be boring. Just saying. You would be missed.
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm not sure I reciprocate, at all

I'm stretched out here in a hallway well after midnight with another liter of IV saline and Keflex
I guess they want to make sure I'm well flushed???
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I take it that the knee is not all better.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The necrotizing tissue in the joint I've been walking on for 22 years with a chowed meniscus and no labrum to support the mediai joint needs to be removed l

It just continues to rot in there, and this mans immune system can only do so much.

At least I'm in the right place (2nd largest Hospital in the US, behind Miami).

Jim,
1 ... 105106107108109110111 ... 115