classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
624 messages Options
12345 ... 32
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Camano Experience

FuzzFace2
Coated parts look great just wonder how well they will work after being coated?
Just a little old grease with dirt in it they don't work to good.

I do like the park brake assy. and the vent windows done as you can see them.
You also doing the door glass channels inside the doors?

Have you given any thought how all them rods go back in for the latches?
I pulled mine years ago and they are in bags marked left & right but from what I remember they were fun to pull out so going to be twice the fun going back in .......... NOT!
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
FuzzFace2 wrote
Coated parts look great just wonder how well they will work after being coated?
Just a little old grease with dirt in it they don't work to good.
That's a valid concern. None of these parts are super tight with their clearances. I pulled a few latches from some jy doors (in case this project was a bust) and tested them vs the coated ones after applying the grease. The coated ones work just as well and seem to have a little more 'snap' to them. For the door latches it took a lot of blasting and a lot of cleaner to get the old grease out of all the nooks and crannies but the aerosol lithium spray did a good job of replacing it all.

None of the parts I've done aside from possibly the sliding seat tracks have been tight enough on clearance that the coating has caused an issue.

FuzzFace2 wrote
I do like the park brake assy. and the vent windows done as you can see them.
You also doing the door glass channels inside the doors?
I like seeing the parking brake all black also. It wasn't too bad to do - you just have to drill out the stepped rivet that holds the handle on and then force out (after heating) the hard rubber grommet the handle goes through.
Yes, I coated the channels also. Everyone that gets in your truck wants to look at the innards of the doors to see if they are shiny, right?

If you plan on getting your vent windows tinted and you have the door apart anyways, I would recommend going ahead and removing the glass completely. After disassembling the vent window (being careful to not twist the threaded rod), I removed the glass from the frame by heating it in the oven. I then coated the frame and dropped it and the glass off at the window shop. They tinted the windows and reinstalled them in the frame. This allows the tint to look seamless/factory.

FuzzFace2 wrote
Have you given any thought how all them rods go back in for the latches?
I pulled mine years ago and they are in bags marked left & right but from what I remember they were fun to pull out so going to be twice the fun going back in .......... NOT!
Dave ----
They are a jumble for sure. I've got a few doors in the shop and the spares that I pulled from the junkyard still have the rods on them that I plan on using as guides to put them all back together. If ever needed, I can add a photo of them.

While on the topic of coating things, I'll go ahead and add the accelerator pedal. This one was really a bit of a pain to do but I do like the look of it over the somewhat rusty original.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Scott, I got to say that puts it over the top.
Sorry to say the parts inside the doors wont even get painted just cleaned (done before stored), lubed and installed.
Being I started this rebuild in Dec of 2015 and hope to get paint on it by years end or sooner and it being a driver I skipped detailing some of the little things like the throttle pedal.

I had to replace my vent window frames and the replacement ones the glass has a green tint but the door glass no tint.
I have looked into getting the door glass tinted but being the glass is out I may try and do the tint myself.
I will most likely paint the frames before I install them, don't remember what they look like now LOL

Keep up the great work
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Wow!  Just WOW!

Dad's truck has some SERIOUS competition!  Well done.  I'm impressed.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Wow!  Just WOW!

Dad's truck has some SERIOUS competition!  Well done.  I'm impressed.  

Perhaps Dad's Truck was inspiration!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
1986F150Six wrote
Perhaps Dad's Truck was inspiration!
  I doubt it.  This seems to have been going on for some time, and he Scott just joined.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Don't sell yourself short. It's impossible to read through any of the other project threads and not pick up great ideas and methods that one will use later. I've been bookmarking threads for future restoration reference for years. This site is a veritable schmorgasboard - can't say that and not think of Charlotte's Web 

I can clearly remember reading a post where you told someone to bring something to last years show and you'd coat it. This was before I'd ever considered buying a gun so I am more than happy to blame you!
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, if that's a complement I thank you.  

So it is my fault that you are into powder coating?    Seriously though, isn't it fun!?!?  Parts come out looking beautiful.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Now to my wife who is no doubt tired of hearing me say "Hey, come feel how smooth this is", she may not be as appreciative of your influence

Oh, it's a lot of fun! There were many evenings that I would wander around the shop looking at the piles of parts that came off Camano and try to find something new to coat. I can't paint to save my life so this is right up my alley.

What brand of powder do you use?
Any experience with how a powdered part reacts to gasoline getting on it?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I mainly use Eastwood's powder, but I have a bunch of Sherwin Williams black that I got when I bought the oven from a guy that was getting out of the business.  And Brandon/Bruno2 bought some Powder By The Pound and we've used it.

As for gasoline, it will take the sheen off gloss powder, and may soften powder if left on for a while.  But I still use it on intakes.  However, I don't run Holleys, which always seem to leak gas for me, so I don't have much gas on the intake.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I've been sticking with the Eastwood as it seems to work really well. Tried the summit brand and wasn't happy with it.

Didn't get much done today as I got home late. Went out to the shop and found a bunch of stuff knocked over. Third day in a row it's happened but I'd left the door cracked for a few hours yesterday evening so had hoped the culprit had let itself out. Guess not. Spent forever crawling around trying to find him but eventually...

My nos rv mirrors came in today so was happy to see they were in the condition described.

I did find it interesting that despite being the same number, the plastic pivot cup on one was silver and the other black. Guess different suppliers.

I'd never looked closely at the mirrors on my truck but had assumed they were this style and stock. Looks like they weren't which may explain why they crusted over so much.

I did like the Extend-A-Mirrors that it came with so found a set on ebay that I'll eventually swap over to mine. Not out of necessity but they just seem like an 80's thing.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Scott - I hope that possum was dead.  Those things can cause all sorts of infections if they scratch or bite you.

Interesting about the mirrors.  But no one will ever notice.  And, they are pretty!  But I'm not sure what the others are.  Haven't seen them before.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Well it isn't too frisky anymore...
Normally it's a step on them and grab them by the tail kind of deal but this one was wedged in a tight spot so had to don the welding gloves. They are nasty creatures for sure but guess they have their place in the Kingdom too.

Yeah, most aftermarket ones I see are the bubble kind. Who knows on these. Took me awhile to track down the mirrors and you never know how they will look upon arrival. I will say that the dealership in Oneonta AL was a pleasure to work with. Very nice people there.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I’ve got a set of those mirror extensions. Really like them. I don’t have them on now but at the ready.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I have found rats, mice, snakes, and squirrels in my shop. I try to catch and relocate everything with exception to the snakes, but new families keep chewing through the wood to get in the shop so now I just let the snakes control the population like nature intended, unless I have a good chance of catching something.

As for the mirrors, they are my favorite mirror offered on these trucks. The aero mirrors have always looked off to me for whatever reason.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
Haha I wouldn't be one bit surprised if our trucks had sequentially vin's at this point.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
Knock on wood but we have surprisingly few large snakes on our place and any that we do are black snakes that are, like you said, not a bad thing to have around.

I agree on the mirrors vs the aero ones - the angles go well with these trucks.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
kramttocs wrote
Haha I wouldn't be one bit surprised if our trucks had sequentially vin's at this point.
That’s funny! The last five of my VIN are 83820.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Aw man. Mines 92202. But they both have 2 in them so that's pretty much the same as
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Got a couple things done this weekend.

First, I know there are tons of people dying to know but yes, you can powder coat your wiper motor.

Disassembly and reassembly wasn't bad (the magnets were the most time consuming part). Now I need to hook it up to Chanute to test.

The big relief was getting the blend door upgraded. I was really dreading tearing up the one in Camano since it was all together (minus the foam which was long gone) but then I remembered I had an assembly from another 86 on a shelf which did have the hinge split. Took that one apart and started going to town. The how-to on FTE for this is extremely well done. I really followed it with only some very minor changes.

If you have your dash apart I highly recommend doing this. The final outcome is well worth it.

Just some comments relating to the how-to from my experience:

1. I didn't need to modify both legs of the hinge. I did one but then I just flipped the other over and it put the centerline really close to stock.
2. The slight bend mentioned looks normal and when dryfitting it, the bend conforms to the housing so it seals uniformly. I was going to add an aluminum support to the leading edge to prevent this bend permanently until I noticed this.
3. You can use the same 3/16 foam all around - even on the hinge. Mine had uniform pressure all around with this.
4. On the side opposite the arm attachment point, I filled it all in with the foam. My thought process was that when in dash mode, the air flows across this so this removes one of the edges the air could catch on and hopefully reduce the risk of the foam peeling up there.
5. My utmost respect goes to anyone that does this while the unit is still in the dash. Even having it on a bench with the ability to dry fit it, it took some finagling to get the door in and out so I can just imagine doing that blind.

Scott

12345 ... 32