Temperature Gauge

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Temperature Gauge

Jochen1964
My engine temperature needle hardly gets into the "normal" field of the gauge. It moves slightly to the right when the engine should be warm after a few miles but only makes it to the left marker of the normal area. Should this concern me and I might need to check the thermostat or is this normal for a bullnose? Thanks for your thoughts. Regards Jochen
Mein Laster: 1986 Ford F150 XL, 4WD, sgl cab, short bed, 302 EFI
Meine Katze: KTM 890 SMT
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Temperature Gauge

FuzzFace2
You will need to do some testing.
What is the temperature of the coolant?
Do you know the stat setting?
With out knowing them it is hard to say if the gauge is right or not.
Dave - - - -
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jochen1964
I agree with Dave - it is hard to tell.  Several things to test/do:

First, do the fuel gauge and oil pressure gauges appear to be working correctly?  I ask because all three of those gauges and driven by the Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator, and they are prone to problems.

You can test your temp gauge by using the process explained on the Testing tab here: Electrical/Gauges.  The location and color of the wire to pull is shown on pages 95 and 99, respectively, here: Electrical/EVTM/1986 EVTM/Fuel Tank Selector And Gauges.

If you have a non-contact/infra-red thermometer you can check the temp of the thermostat housing and the upper radiator hose.  Ford called for 195 degree F thermostats in these truck, but some install a cooler 'stat thinking it'll be better for the engine.  However, that just means that the engine doesn't get warm and boil off the moisture that gathers in the oil, and that's bad for the engine.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
Thanks for this Dave and Gary. This actually answers my first question that it is not normal. That is a start and I will do some testing on the weekend when back home from Prague. Thanks for your thoughts. Jochen
Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
Finally solved it. I have changed the sending unit and now the needle goes to the O of NORMAL when warm.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got it fixed!  (Sorry for the late response - I missed this.)

So, what's the next issue you are working on?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
Thx Gary. Nothing really planed unless anything breaks down. The only remaining issue is the air condition which does´t cool down. I suspect that customs emptied the coolant before shipping. Will consult somebody competent next week to find out and get it fixed.
Currently I actually have the luxury problem of choice between cruising my new toy into the sundown or, since summer started, hop on the lovely BMW to scratch the bends and curves. You see nothing to worry about at my end . Will though keep you guys posted.
We will me moving house in August / September and then I expect the bullnose to return some investment
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  Nothing to be done but cruise, and a choice of cruisers.