Tank interpretation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tank interpretation

baddog8it
I was trying to decipher Ford's table for the fuel tanks (located here),   and ran into some questions.  Hoping others out there can help.

1st - I've attempted to put this info into a more user friendly format.  While the Ford table includes some info on years beyond 1986, I've kept the table pertinent to the bullnose years.  Can I get some feedback?  Of course, it's not complete - pending answers to the questions below.

2nd - Are my values for wheel base correct in my table?  I got my WB data from wikipedia, and it might not jive consistently with the info in the Ford table.

3rd - For the third entry in the Ford table for E3TZ 9002-M, it mentions (81), 'Super Duty', a 137" WB and a 161" WB.  Any idea what these are pertaining to?

4th - For the entry in the Ford table for E5TZ 9002-E, isn't the second entry (F350 Crew Cab) redundant?  It's already covered in the first entry under F350 168" WB.  Right?

5th - For the entry in the Ford table for E5TZ 9002-L, again the question about 'Super Duty' and the 137 and 161" wheel bases as mentioned in my question #3 above.

THE BEAST - '85 F350 2WD (non dually) Crew Cab, 460 carbureted, C6 tranny
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tank interpretation

85lebaront2
Administrator
Super Duty was generally a Cab and Chassis, which is why the odd WB values, 8 ft bed truck wheel bases were 133" Standard cab, 155" super cab and 168" crew cab. The later "hot fuel handling package 460s" (1983-1986) had a different tank than the mechanical fuel pump trucks, the 1985.5-1986 5.0L EFI engine may well have had another one. I can look at my 1986 owners manual for the short bed wheel bases, but they used a 17 gal front tank as it has to be shorter to fit ahead of the rear axle.

It also gets more complicated with metal vs plastic tanks, size opening for the gauge sender or pump hanger. Believe me in 24 years of owning Darth I have been through all the iterations trying to make sense of it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413