Tailgate Seperating

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tailgate Seperating

Powerman5K
My tailgate is separating from its self on both ends.

I've tried to glue and clamp it with 3M body panel adhesive. It worked but in about a week, it split apart again. I didn't do a very good job preping the surfaces for paint.

Anyone ever solve this? My initial thought is to prep the surface better and re attempt gluing. I'm also considering glue plus sheet metal screws glued in. Then when it dries, grind off the heads of the screws. Im trying to avoid welding as my welder is not easily accessible to my house. Thoughts?
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tailgate Seperating

BigBrother-84
Is it an OEM or a jobber one?

I had no luck with jobber tailgates.

My wife's father (who sold me Big Brother) lost the original tailgate on the road...

After, Big Brother had two jobber tailgates which ended to split, as yours.  I tried glue, and then rivets.  Even the rivets have cut and needed to be replaced.

I bought a really good shaped OEM used tailgate in a salvage yard, and replaced the second jobber one.  Since then (more than 10 years ago), I have no trouble with the tailgate.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
I have a OEM replacement tailgate that has split like you have mentioned. Bought it from Ford in Circa 1997.  (The original was stronger, but I wrapped it around a tree with it down.)

They separate at the spot welds, and can rip at the sides. Welding it back together is the best option.

The aftermarket tailgates are inferior to OEM and are even worse to this sort of damage, from my experience.  Get or fix the OEM if at all possible.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
It is original. I tried 3M glue once more today and prepped the surfaces really well. Hopefully it will hold this time.
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by 81-F150-Explorer
81-F150-Explorer wrote
Welding it back together is the best option.
Ralph, I agree.
Never tested this solution, but appears to me the safest one.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
In reply to this post by Powerman5K
Mine is doing this too.

Another vote for clamping and welding--including drill small hole in interior part of the gate and weld in the holes.  Then some end spot welds, grind, smooth, repaint.  That really is the long term solution that I may have to visit one day.
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)