THIS is a new one !

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

THIS is a new one !

ozark2
1984/351/auto/tilt....8 degrees here, but started OK. Key was harder to turn than usual. Started and stopped 2-3 times..Got in last time..Key would not turn..at all.. Seems I changed cylinder a few years ago..but I don't recall taking column apart...or removing wheel. Where should I start ?..thanks..jerry.......
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: THIS is a new one !

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jerry - Happy New Year!  Sounds like the grease in your ignition switch, not the tumbler, or the linkage thereunto has set up.  There's some info here: Electrical/Ignition Switch.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Re: THIS is a new one !

ozark2

In a message dated 1/2/2018 10:36:32 AM Central Standard Time, [hidden email] writes:

Jerry - Happy New Year!  Sounds like the grease in your ignition switch, not the tumbler, or the linkage thereunto has set up.  There's some info here: Electrical/Ignition Switch.
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/THIS-is-a-new-one-tp5921p5922.html
To unsubscribe from THIS is a new one !, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

ozark2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Guess I could wait till it warms up..and therefore softens grease !. I'm not in the mood to lay around in 8 degree weather. It happened in my barn..so I cant get it in my shop..Damn Murphy !!

In a message dated 1/2/2018 10:36:32 AM Central Standard Time, [hidden email] writes:

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/THIS-is-a-new-one-tp5921p5922.html
To unsubscribe from THIS is a new one !, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
The actual switch is on the side of the column. The place you put the key, is connected to the actual electrical switch. Start by removing he plastic covers on the column. You should be able to see the switch and the linkage going from the key switch to the actual ignition switch. I have seen then get stiff as you describe, especially when bitter cold.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco