518 messages Options
1234 ... 26
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

T2K-CAR

85lebaront2
Administrator
Well, we'll see where this goes. Gary is not the only one with interest in other vehicles. A number of years ago a friend bough a wrecked 1985 Chrysler LeBaron convertible to get the engine from it to use in a Mazda B2600 for another man. He asked me if I was interested in it since I had a 1987 Omni. We found out when we started seriously looking that, almost everything on the Mitsubishi 2.6L was the same or could be switched, except, the location for the right side motor mount, two of the bolt locations didn't exist. I paid him what he had in the car since the engine couldn't be used and drove it for 2 years before the Mitsubishi curse struck. Got hard to start after sitting and was using water. Did a pressure test cold with the plugs out, spun it over and struck water in 3 of the 4 cylinders.

In the mean time, the Mitsubishi engine was a bit anemic and not super economical and in talking to a friend from Cary NC, he said "Why don't you put a turbo in it?" I had picked up a couple of the Chrysler Lasers, same as the Dodge FWD Daytonas. The 1984 used a very early turbo system with minimal electronics an a purely mechanical boost control, the 1986 had a bad engine. I was at a junkyard in Ivor VA and the owner's son had put a 1987 LeBaron 4dr sedan aside for parts for me. It had a 2.2L Turbo I engine, he wanted and old Dell laptop I had so we traded computer for powertrain.

As you can see, it was just a little oily, so it was sort of a pig in a poke so to speak.

Once I separated the engine and transaxle, I started cleaning it to see if I could find the leaks. Once I sprayed it with Greased Lightning and hosed it off, I found three things, block was painted a gray/green color, it had brass freeze plugs, and it had a date of 1-8-88 cast on it, hmm. Oil leak was like Big Blue, stupid mistake. On a Chrysler 2.2/2.5L the intermediate shaft drives the oil pump and distributor. Chrysler does not use gaskets, just RTV on the seal housing, and the oil drain hole was plugged with it. I decided further inspection was in order and flipped it over and pulled the pan. Stopped dead and looked, forged crank, massive rods, wth have I got here. Called one of my former co workers at Tysinger Dodge, and my buddy in Cary. It was a service long block, end of 1988 the block was changed, and all uninstalled Turbo II long blocks were placed into replacement inventory.

I used ARP main cap studs, rod bolts and head studs in building it, cylinder walls still had the crosshatch in them! I rebuilt and modified the A413 transaxle, and I got a package from Cary one day, with the message "use this intake, fuel rail has a broken stud on the regulator, just use a bolt and nut." It was the Carrol Shelby designed 2 piece intake, sort of a turbo Chrysler Holy Grail.

Unfortunately the car must have been cursed as roughly 4 years after I put it together a Mercedes-Benz ML 320 hit the same right rear corner totaling it. In the mean time the junkyard/used car dealer in Ivor called and said he had a parts car for me, a 1986 LeBaron convertible, $250 for parts for mine, but with a clean title. Parts car is now being built as a replacement, with the same powertrain.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: T2K-CAR

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ok, a little more now that dinner is over. First a little technical information, between 1983 when Chrysler first built TBI engines and 1995 they used 3 different style computers, the first was a two part system a brain and brawn setup, the brain or Logic Module sat in the right kick panel, and since it could get wet from a windshield leak, it was partially covered with a plastic bag sealed to the harness and had two multi-pin connectors, first years were 21 pins, then from 1985-1987 they were two 25 pin connectors, TBI models were natural and black, turbos blue and red. The brawn or power module contained the shut down relay and power or SCR components to operate the various controlled components and had two larger connectors, one 10 pin and one 12 pin, and just like Ford, not all pins were used. It resided between the battery and the left inner fender underhood. In 1988, the two parts were "married" in a single case that went where the power module had been freeing up the logic module area for anti-theft and body computers. The resulting unit was called a Single Module Engine Controller or SMEC. At the same time the processor capacity was increased. These were only used for two years, 1988 and 1989 and used one 60 pin connector for the logic board and a 14 pin for the power board. The logic board could be removed from the power board and case allowing a small number of power boards to cover a number of engine/body/transmission options. In 1990, the two boards were merged into one, and again the processor capacity was increased. These Single Board Engine Controllers, or SBECs are broken into SBEC I and SBEC II, both look the same, but are different internally and use a single 60 pin connector. Biggest change for me was the Turbo engines went from bank fired injectors to sequential, however, Chrysler to my knowledge still uses a MAP sensor. In 1996 the whole thing changed again.

My original car had the best two part system, 1987 Daytona electronics which was the only early system other than the TBI to use a stepper motor for idle control, the others had a reversible motor. The new car will have a 1991 SBEC, socketed to allow for a custom tune. This is similar to using a tuner chip on a Ford system other than an EEC-V. This will also allow me to use a computer controlled overdrive automatic later.

Chrysler has a nifty little TSD computer called a Traveler that also can track fuel economy. Up until the SBEC it used a fuel signal from the logic module or board, with the SBEC, all vehicles using them have a twisted pair data system that any other module can tie into. I had to find a newer traveler and a body computer and add them to make it work.

K car dashboards were conceived as bare bones, idiot lights and minimal gauges. When the LeBaron and Dodge 400, followed by a few other "super Ks" as they were know arrived, they dash height is too low for full gauges, the Daytona and Laser bodies had a taller instrument area. The super Ks were optioned with a digital dash with bar graph style gauges, but digital speedometer. A tach was offered, LEDs at 250 rpm intervals in a 2 1/2" arc. I found that since damn near everything Chrysler built in the 80s shares a lot of common dimensions, a 1989 LeBaron Coupe dash fits and has a very nice set of electronic analog gauges. Best analogy, 1980 F150 dash to a 1995 F150 dash, completely different appearance. One HVAC module fits all the larger cars from the Reliant to the Imperial so a complete electronic automatic climate control is a drop in.

The 1983-1986 convertibles have a number of idiosyncrasies, the power seats are convertible specific, no power mirrors were offered and the manual ones are door mounted cables and small, rear quarter windows from 1984-86 are always power as there is no place for cranks, 1983 had no rear quarter windows. I adapted a set of sedan power mirrors so I have the larger power remote mirrors.

Since I loath fusible links, I adapted a 1996 Dodge Stratus power distribution center which has the capability for a two speed cooling fan. Due to the intercooler for the turbo, the factory fan is fairly small, and cools ok, but the A/C system will not easily tolerate R134a. I adapted a pair of fans from a 1999 Contour, by reversing them into a pusher configuration and use the Stratus PDC for low speed and a binary switch from a Taurus to (a) command high fan and (b) if necessary shut off the compressor.

Now you have some of the electrical/electronic modifications I am doing.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  How much of this are you doing at present?  Or, is this in the past?

Much of it sounds like Ford stuff, so the various manufacturers were basically doing the same things at the same time.

So, where are you with the project?  And, tell us more about the engine.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The first is historical and some technical stuff giving background on what I did. The current replacement is at Pete's Custom Auto in Newport News, the floors were Flintstone Flyer condition, but the main structure is solid. They have put new floors in and trying to use a pristine trunk lid from a 1988 Reliant to replace the surface rusted and dented original.

The engine is a 1988 2.2L Turbo II which is the Shelby designed intercooled system with the unique two piece intake. The plenum and upper portion of the runners is bolted to the lower runners because the air path is a fairly long curve which puts the plenum right over the injectors and fuel rail. Chrysler replaced that design in 1988 with a one piece design that is taller, but has shorter runners. Cheaper to manufacture and easier to service. The T2 and 2.5L T1 engines use 34#/hr injectors and mine was running 14 psi boost which is good for roughly 200 HP from 135 ci. They are quite a stout little engine, their main limitation is the 8 port in-out head design similar to the 300 engines, they were also built in two different 16V versions, one with a Lotus designed head and the other with a Maserati designed head, the latter being used in the Chrysler TC by Maserati.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Here are some pictures of the original car:

You can see the digital dash, didn't have a shot with it on though.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I was having problems with the city about some vehicles inside my fenced yard (6 ft privacy fence) so I had to move them, Donnie Medlin at Pete's said he would store the convertible, and the Lebaron coupe and 1995 Continental for me, the dead Lesabre Diesel and Horizon he would remove. Unfortunately the convertible was in one of his off-site storage yards and may have been in an area that floods. He found that one of the storms that went through had blown something into the car, breaking the right rear quarter window and bending the top frame. He sent the car to me on a wrecker run to pick up an empty container from NASA Wallops Island. First thing I had to do was get the damaged remains of the top off, windshield had been broken by one of the neighbor's grandsons playing baseball.

After I got it stripped down to the main body, I found the carpet was soaked so it was junk and was of questionable condition before. I found that I can get a complete molded unit for under $200 so that is what it will get. Floors, well pretty bad, but they are modified from a standard K-car floor. Donnie asked me what were the differences between 1986 and 1988, Numbers are different, but who knows. He picked up a 1988 Reliant, perfect body, blown engine for parts for mine, that's a real friend!

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That does sound like a stout engine.  Any chance of finding a 16-valve setup?  Or, is it worth it?

Shame about the damage, but it seems like you have a plan that'll work.

The floors don't seem terrible, but you have a plan for them already, do that's good.  But is that a build sheet I see in one of the pics?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, but it was not readable or salvageable. I pretty well know it was not heavily optioned, the 1985 was the Mark Cross edition, this was pretty basic, 2.2L TBI, auto, power steering and A/C, 6 way power driver's seat and power windows. As for the 16 valve, there is what the turbo Chrysler group calls a hybrid, you put a Neon SRT4 top end on a 2.5L turbo short block and with proper tuning around 400 HP. I have most of the conversion stuff already and a 1989 2.5L turbo long block less cam and followers. I want to see if I can get a 2.4L 41TE transaxle and adapt it, of the 4 block to transaxle bolts, 3 are in the same positions, main issue is the starter, 2.2/2.5L starters are on the back under the exhaust manifold and on a turbo, nestled between the turbo and the back of the block. 2.0/2.4L they on the front under the intake manifold, the location on the 2.2/2.5L blocks is pretty well clear of major problems, just the oil port for senders and turbo. It can be changed to an elbow and the block or a tee for the sender(s) and oil line located that way. The oil drains from the head are different and the alignment changed from two small pins, one at each end to hollow sleeves on the two end, front head bolts or studs. Then the issue of accessory brackets, A/C in particular comes in. If I do it, I will probably want to see if I can do a serpentine setup, as 1989 up 2.2/2.5L water pumps are reverse rotation anyway.

Here is a picture of the lower end when I assembled it:
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Seeing those K car floor pictures reminded me of a K car a buddy found stored in a garage with a dirt floor years back. Car was low mileage and looked pretty good on the outside,  but the rockers and the floors were Swiss cheese! Ended up crushing the poor thing.

Always nice to see some of the other interests people have. Here's a picture of mine. Dave, (Fuzzface) may have seen this one before.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Nice looking car!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
One of the things I wanted to do from the time I started was to install a better dash system. I had a 1989 Lebaron coupe with a completely dead steering rack. I had bought it for $75 for front end parts to repair my granddaughter's 1989 Lebaron convertible, both cars had the 2.5L turbo engines, convertible had the 5 speed and the coupe an automatic. Since an awful lot of Chrysler's larger cars were based on the K platform, the width between the cowl panels inside is the same and the steering column location is pretty consistent. I pulled the dash and steering column from the 1989, which had a nice analog electronic cluster and went about fitting it in, found two changes, the steering column is roughly 1/2" offset in the mounts for the 1989 dash to fit, support bracket holes are in the right place even and the windshield angle and curve are slightly different meaning I need a filler on the top front of the dash.

The dash will have to be dyed to match the maroon interior and the steering column has been redone with the original maroon 1986 wheel.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Ray - What model is the Ramber?  Early 60's Ambassador?  (I don't know Kelvinators very well.)

Bill - Is the T2K the active project now?  Looks to be quite a project at that, with parts borrowed from everything.  But, it'll be a cool driver when done.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, I want to at least get in running condition so I can take it to a couple of shows this fall even if it isn't finished. BTW, since Chrysler bought AMC, Hudson, Nash and Jeep are all part of FCA.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What an odd lot.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I took the car to a friend's shop in Newport News, he is replacing the rusted out floors with parts from a 1988 Reliant he picked just so he would have a good floor to start with. The K-27 (convertible) body is a unique piece, the originals were farmed out to be converted from Chrysler or Dodge 2dr coupes. The roof was cut of, trunk torsion bars eliminated and replaced with lift cylinders, rear seat area narrowed and moved forward. On the first ones, in 1983, the top frame came back to the rear edge of the doors and dropped straight down, leaving a huge blind spot. In 1984 rear quarter windows were added, but due to the top mechanism and rear seat position, had to be power even if the front windows were manual. The rear seats in these make an early Mustang look roomy. The cars have all the needed reinforcement to make up for the loss of the roof on the inside in what looks like a squashed down letter H with one upright going across the front floor at the toe board, the other upright across the rear just behind the rear footwells and the crossbar going down the center of the floor about 2" above the tunnel. They are extremely rigid cars, my son made the comment it was a lot tighter than his 35th anniversary Mustang convertible.

Because of all the inside reinforcements, 5 speeds were either not offered or extremely rare. Here are some pictures of the repair work and the donor remainder:

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That looks like LOTS of work.    How many different vehicles is it taking to make one?  (What does that say for K-cars?)

So, help me understand why a manual transmission wasn't or was rarely offered.  Wouldn't the manual actually be smaller than an auto?  What am I missing?

And, those guys look as old as me!  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I think Frank (in foreground) is about our age, he had a shop and used to be one of my customers at Preston. The other gentleman I believe is Butch, probably in his 60s, Donnie, the owner, is 57 or 58, his dad was 82 when he died. This is in trade for fixing Pete's Chevstang (Donnie's dad and the business's namesake).

As for no 5 speeds, the reinforcement sits roughly 3" above the tunnel and the 5 speed shifter mounted there and had cables to the transaxle and the normal console between the bucket seats would have been below the reinforcement. Circled location is where the automatic shifter cable runs through and is retained with a clip.

Did some fitting on the engine, the 1991 Shadow turbo air filter and the vacuum harness. I have the rare 1987 only 2 piece intake so a few modifications were in order. The 2 piece manifold tap for control vacuum/pressure is on the back and uses a plastic tee to send it in both directions, it is a royal PITA to get to and breaks easily. With the change to the 1 piece manifold in 1988 everything was moved to the front. The fuel rail sits higher and the injectors are more vertical. I added a front side tap and plugged the rear one, everything is mocked up except the cruise control and one 3/8" curved piece.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm glad "old timers", like us, are still getting it done.  

Now I understand about the 5-speed.  It was the linkage/cables that caused the problem, not the size of the tranny.

On the engine, I can imagine how hard it would be to get to that plastic tee.  So plugging that and moving the tap up front makes sense.  But, was there a benefit in the injector angles being changed?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Not that I know of, I thing it was more of a normal Detroit decision $$$$. The two piece intake cost more to manufacture and assemble, not to mention an injector change involves removal of the plenum and the 8 bolts that hold it on are put in from the bottom and there is a brace on the throttle body end to be taken loose also. As far as performance, the two piece breathes better than the one piece and all things equal generates more power. The injectors on the 2 piece are aimed right at the back of the intake valves, on the one piece due to the higher angle, the injectors had to be moved further from the ports in order to have them aimed in the same area.

A couple of interesting items, static fuel pressure is 55 psi on these and the injectors are 34#/hr and from 1984-1989 were bank fired, 1-2 and 3-4, starting in 1990 they became sequential. On the pressure, add the boost pressure to the 55 psi, mine will be 15 psi, so under full boost I will have 70 psi fuel pressure and Chrysler used hoses with full circle band clamps, damn things are a fuel leak waiting to happen!

Found yesterday the transaxle had a nice filling of distilled water (rain) in it and the gear set is frozen, thankfully I have the 1989 transaxle I can use and maybe some of my modifications can be transferred.

I worked on my engine electrical harness yesterday, it is the one on the front side of the engine with the negative battery cable, alternator, oil pressure sender and temperature gauge sender along with the two distributor pickups and ECT, and on the 1991 up the ignition coil. The battery terminal was split and I couldn't find a replacement end for it. The original end had a 6 ga cable for the main ground, a 8 ga body ground and a 10 ga ground harness connection (goes to 4 14 ga color coded grounds of which 1 was used) I finally took a long 4 ga cable and went to the main factory splice and secured it on to the cleaned off copper and soldered it using my MAPP gas torch and did the same to connect the body ground (laid it back along the new cable to where I could wrap and solder it) then used the extra pigtail on the new cable for the ground harness. Then I had to add 5 wires, one for an actual oil pressure gauge and 4 for a refrigerant containment system (high speed fan and compressor cut off) those ended up being a Ford binary switch for a 1994 Taurus and a Motorcraft pigtail kit.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a lot of pressure for those clamps.  Are you going to change to other clamps?  If so, what?

The wiring change is a good upgrade.  But I'm surprised, although glad, that you could find good copper to solder to.  I guess yours just isn't old enough to have tarnished.  Or maybe later wiring is better?

That's a bummer about the transaxle.  What mod's have you done to it?

1234 ... 26