T18 to NP435 swap question?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

T18 to NP435 swap question?

FuzzFace2
The T18 is in a 81 F100 4x2 short bed truck.
The NP435 I don't know if LB or SB but is a 4x2 and out of an 86 truck.
I hope he can get a measurement from bell to tail housing so I can compare to my T18 setup.

I know the 86 uses a juice clutch and I can get the bell housing with the transmission but not sure on the fork as I don't see it in pictures.
I don't think that will be an issue as the bell housing in the bolt on type and my thinking is to use my bell housing and rebuilt clutch linkage and new clutch assy. and bolt the NP435 to my bell housing.

I don't know what I will need to do to the drive shaft and ask if the seller has the old one.
I also don't see a rubber mount but think (hope) I can get a new one.
I also hope I can reuse my cross member & brackets with out needing to move & re-drill holes.

Also don't know what I would need to do to hook up the speedo?
Get a cable & gear for the 86 truck?

So how hard will it be to install this NP435 in place of the T18 in my truck?
See anything I missed?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: T18 to NP435 swap question?

salans7
Generally in my experience, the crossmembers are drilled for different transmissions, and sometimes only need to be flipped around to fit a different transmission. If I recall correctly, the original 4x2 one from my old F150 with a C6 also had NP435 and T18 stamped into it.

Make sure you get the shift lever for the New Process, it's different from the Borg-Warner.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
salans7 wrote
Generally in my experience, the crossmembers are drilled for different transmissions, and sometimes only need to be flipped around to fit a different transmission. If I recall correctly, the original 4x2 one from my old F150 with a C6 also had NP435 and T18 stamped into it.

Make sure you get the shift lever for the New Process, it's different from the Borg-Warner.
Thanks for the reply
I do remember the different holes in mine when I had it down for the speedo gear.
The rubber mount looks like I might be able to use mine too but will not know till I have everything in place.

I am sure he said it had the shift tower & stick and think I seen the stick in a picture.
The only thing that worries me is how long it might be and how short the drive shaft might be with just the NP435.
Then I have been looking at an AD range splitter OD unit that is just under 8"
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Are both transmissions (mainly the T-18) fixed yoke? If so, if your driveshaft has a slip joint, that should be enough to soak up whatever small differences you would encounter. If your T-18 has a slip yoke for the tailshaft, your factory driveshaft will be too short, and the wrong style.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 wrote
If you're lucky, your existing cable will fit/reach the other transmission.
When I switched from my original 3spd manual to the 5spd manual, I was lucky as both transmissions were almost the exact same length. I think the 5spd was 3/8" longer. So the speedo drive gear was in roughly the same location...maybe an inch or two further back, but I was able to use my existing cable.
Also, both trans were slip yoke, so my original driveshaft fit without modification.

Reverse switch is easy to deal with also. The plugs were different between the two trannys, so I just spliced a new plug on the truck harness. Done like dinner.

You should be able to use your existing mechanical clutched bell and associated parts on the new trans also.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I still have the 4x2 crossmember in my truck, and I just checked it. One side reads "Front : C6, T18, NP435, AOD" and the other side says "Front: 3SPD, SROD".

That's on an 86, and I remember my 1980 was the same way. So you should be fine.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
Are both transmissions (mainly the T-18) fixed yoke? If so, if your driveshaft has a slip joint, that should be enough to soak up whatever small differences you would encounter. If your T-18 has a slip yoke for the tailshaft, your factory driveshaft will be too short, and the wrong style.
The seller said his was a slip yoke into the transmission like my T18 and he may have the yoke as that would help.
I just will not know if the 2 are the same from face to tail so see if my drive shaft would work.
Thanks
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
FuzzFace2 wrote
If you're lucky, your existing cable will fit/reach the other transmission.
When I switched from my original 3spd manual to the 5spd manual, I was lucky as both transmissions were almost the exact same length. I think the 5spd was 3/8" longer. So the speedo drive gear was in roughly the same location...maybe an inch or two further back, but I was able to use my existing cable.
Also, both trans were slip yoke, so my original driveshaft fit without modification.

Reverse switch is easy to deal with also. The plugs were different between the two trannys, so I just spliced a new plug on the truck harness. Done like dinner.

You should be able to use your existing mechanical clutched bell and associated parts on the new trans also.
From the pictures it is hard to tell where the hole is for the speedo but looks to be about where mine is. Then I would just need to make sure my driven gear will work with the drive gear - I hope it will be.

The switch looks to be the same as mine and I had to make a plug from a weather pack plug as the trucks plug was bad inside the plug. I also did not want to spend $ if the switch did not work, I was lucky it did.

I was also thinking the same on the linkage as the bells are "bolt on's".
The seller thinks he has the juice pedal assy. that I will try and buy with the bell so I have them if I ever need them for a 5sp I may come across.
Thanks
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
I still have the 4x2 crossmember in my truck, and I just checked it. One side reads "Front : C6, T18, NP435, AOD" and the other side says "Front: 3SPD, SROD".

That's on an 86, and I remember my 1980 was the same way. So you should be fine.
I though I seen slots for adjustment between the different transmissions on mine a few weeks ago.

Some of the web searching I have done today I find the T18 / T19 / NP435 all swap between them with a little different parts.
Most of the information is for "what is best?" and the T19 you can drive as a true 4sp with a sync first gear where the T18 & NP435 you drive as a 3sp as the first is a non-sync granny gear.
Like anything it depends on how you want to use the truck.
Thanks
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Dave,
Why not just swing by my house and look/ measure to your hearts content?
And in case you forgot, some time in the future I will be dropping my NP435 to make room for my 4R70W. All parts related to the NP435 will be available. Probably for free!
Kurt K
'85 XLT Lariat, 4.9L, NP435, 3.08LS, DSII, 130a 3G, PMGR, '87 MC, P235/R75
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Tarheel Blue wrote
Dave,
Why not just swing by my house and look/ measure to your hearts content?
And in case you forgot, some time in the future I will be dropping my NP435 to make room for my 4R70W. All parts related to the NP435 will be available. Probably for free!
Kurt,
Long time no hear hope all is well.

If I don't hear back from the seller I may just do that, stop and get measurements.
Got under mine when I got home from work to measure mine and see the truck has marked it's place in the house garage! It never leaked oil when in my garage and why I moved it to the house and did not put anything under it. It looks to be all transmission oil, cant win sometimes.

I really want a 5sp and what may end up with is the M5-R2 and it does not have granny first but then I may not need it for the few times I might be pulling the trailer.

I also read the T19, also with out a granny first, has better (close) ratios and can be driven as a true 4sp.
The NP435 has over all lower ratios of any of the transmissions I have been looking into.
If I can get a good (shifting) T18 or NP435 I could then go for an OD unit.

I will let you know if I need to get under your for measurements.
Thanks
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
There's a close ratio version of the T-18 as well.  I had one in my '75 CJ5.  I drove it like a 3 speed with the 4.27 axles it had, but if it had taller axle gears the 4:1 1st gear would have been usable.

1st was still non-synchro compared to the synchro'd 1st of the T-19.

I don't know if they were used anywhere other than Jeeps, and you don't want a 4WD trans.  So this might not help at all, but I thought I'd let you know what (little) I know.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Also, the close-ratio T19 with a 4.02 first was only available for the diesel.  But I think you could swap the gearset into a small-block version.  In fact, I think that's what Jonathan did?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Depending how crazy you want to get both with swapping gear set and money you can have just about anything LOL

Right now I want something that will shift as it should, unlike my T18 that I know should shift better than it does. Also be some what cheap and last if I keep it in the truck.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Also, the close-ratio T19 with a 4.02 first was only available for the diesel.  But I think you could swap the gearset into a small-block version.  In fact, I think that's what Jonathan did?
No gear swap needed... just bolted it up to the I6 bellhousing.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I forgot that the T-series transmissions had separate bell housings.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Dave both those gearboxes have the same Ford 'butterfly' bolt pattern.
And I think are the same length overall.

I also don't think the speedo gears changed since the '60's until the tone rings in the RABS trucks were providing signal for a PSOM in the '90's.

I know my '87 still uses gears that were applicable across decades.

I can't answer, as far as mounts.
I do know some of the light trucks had a weird suspension type system.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
One thing you are going to run into with the 2wd Borg Warner’s is the slip yoke vs fixed yoke versions. It is an important question to ask, especially if you are traveling to get it. If it’s different than what you have, you will need a new driveshaft. You probably know this, just thought I’d point it out just in case.... just because it says 2wd does not mean it will fit without the right shaft.

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Did they even make a slip yoke tail NP435? All the 4x2 ones I've seen have been fixed yoke. If he's telling you it's a slip yoke and there were no NP435's with a slip yoke, it may not be a New Process.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Easy enough to tell.
T-18/19 have a cast iron lid.

The NP gearbox covers were aluminum.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.