6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

T18 or T19 - How to identify

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
Hi Gentlemen!

I found so much informations on the Web, they almost all point in the same direction.

I am pretty sure about my transmission model, except for one thing.

Big Brother's transmission marks each of these identification items:

• Cast number = 13-01-xxx-xxx [T18] √

• A single access door (PTO Port) on passenger's side [T18] √

• Installed in many 1965-1985 Ford pickups (Big Brother = 1984) [T18] √

Supposedly, reverse in a T18 is to the right and forward (as illustrated below) while in the T19 reverse is to the right and back:

BUT...  Based on that info, Big Brother's shifter corresponds to a T19 transmission:

Well, Watson, what do you make of it?
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: T18 or T19 - How to identify

grumpin
I did find this.

Or you could put the T18 shift knob on it!

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/t18-t19/

Edit: they say the T19 has two PTO’s. And reverse is different between early and later versions of the T18.
Plus the casting numbers indicate a T18.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
We can start with there is NO synchronized first gear in a T-18.
And the casting number indicates T-18.
You could count rotations in first...

As far as Ford, they never put a T-19 behind a Windsor, only 460/IDI, and never a T-18 behind the bigger engines.
(not saying yours hasn't been swapped)
And you are correct, T-19 always have a PTO window on the left as well as the right.
Can you shift from second to first without double clutching and rev matching?

And from Gary's guru Bill (Numberdummy)
"T-18: 1965/73, 1974 before serial number U00,001: Reverse is up, towards the dash.

1974 from serial number U00,001, 1975 and later: Reverse is down, towards the seat."
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Can you shift from second to first without double clutching and rev matching?
Jim, Lol! Difficult to answer, I almost never use the first, only when heavy loaded.  In 4Low, this truck is geared so low, I can walk beside without needing to touch the gas pedal.

But I don't remember that I specifically need to double-clutch the rare times I downgrade to first speed.  I have the habit (good? bad?) to clutch couple of time when compressing, for each speed, as when slowing down and approaching a stop.

Clutch, slowing down the RPM, then compress, then repeat, then shift down, then repeat this clutch / slow RPM / compress / etc.. Kind of, to avoid the break pedal as much as I can.

Describing this makes me realize I do the same with my electric car, using the steering palette and almost never using the brakes...
Maybe i should see a psychiatrist, seems I am a bit brake-paranoid.

ArdWrknTrk wrote
1974 from serial number U00,001, 1975 and later: Reverse is down, towards the seat."
This is the expected explanation.
Don't know why internet does not mention this subtil data.

Thank you guys!

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I can understand not using 1st.  My truck's geared higher and I don't remember the last time I did.

Not many of us have 38 years behind a dealer parts counter.
I'm sure even fewer were doing it while these trucks were being sold new out the front showroom.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
The only time I use 1st is pulling into my driveway. Here in Colorado we have very aggressive sidewalk curbs and steep driveways to prevent flooding, but you can't just pull in at 20mph to get over it because there are a lot of young kids zipping back and forth along the sidewalk on bikes. So I pull up until my tires are against the curb, throw it in 1st, have a good look, and then I can creep in.

I need to rebuild my T19 soon though. The 2nd-gear synchro is gone and 3rd's is grinding just a bit. Probably a winter project - it's too hot to do anything right now.
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.