Swapping OBS 4x4 into Bullnose 4x2

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Swapping OBS 4x4 into Bullnose 4x2

john
Before I buy the donor I need you guys to “check my homework” please.

My ride is a 1981 F150, 4x2, 4.9L carb, SROD, single cab, 133” WB

The donor is a 1994 F150, 4x4, 4.9L EFI, 5 speed manual, single cab, 117” WB.

I want to swap the front and rear axles, transfer case and transmission from the ’94 into my ‘81.

I’ll lose the mechanical speedometer, the mechanical clutch and will need a longer rear driveshaft.

Since it’s a 4.9L to 4.9L and F150 to F150 everything “should” bolt up?
John in Odessa, Tx
1981 F150, Custom base model
Holley 390 w/Offenhauser intake
EFI exhaust
T170 SROD transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Swapping OBS 4x4 into Bullnose 4x2

mat in tn
this is something that we do. it is a very viable build and it's just a lot of work. the basic fitment is compatible, but you will find a few points that need key pieces. one is the driveshaft availability and having them made to suit is an expensive thing these days. you will run into modifying the cab floor and firewall to fit the shifters and clutch. the wiring harnesses are different. the steering columns are different. it's a real cool build to do and you could end up with "your" truck. we all seem to have one that we love even if we end up putting more time and money in then they can ever return. are you up for a labor of love?
Reply | Threaded
|

85pig
It's funny (or not), but that's what I tell my kids about the old wreck in the driveway: "I'm going to have $12,000 in a $4000 truck".  I'm good about that kind of thing.  
1985 F150 4X4 300 I6 4-Speed
1970 Torino Cobra "Twister Special" 429CJ 4-Speed
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible 331 5-Speed
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
one day you may look back and wonder what you were thinking.
but lets be honest here. people every day walk into a showroom and buy a 50k vehicle on payments that end up totaling 65k plus tax and insurance relative to such vehicles. just to have them be a 12k vehicle in five years. now you tell me who got screwed!