Suspension bushings and body and engine and transmission mounts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suspension bushings and body and engine and transmission mounts

JimJam300
Hey dudes, just wondering what combination of suspension bushings and body/engine/trans mounts has made you most happy as far as ride quality and stability.

A while back I purchased polyurethane body mounts for my Bronco and last week I drove around in my boss' LJ Wrangler which had polyurethane body mounts and I thought "wow this would suck to drive more than 50 miles". You can feel the texture of the road basically. Luckily my body mounts are still sitting in a box. Along with poly suspension bushings I've already installed, the idea was to make the truck more "maintenance-free" and have better handling as well. But ride quality with polyurethane body mounts was much worse than I expected. I just discovered silicone body mounts but I didn't see any for older Fords
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Suspension bushings and body and engine and transmission mounts

Cbarnes
Following as this is on my list of things to do to Bubba as well!
1984 F-250, XLT, SuperCab, 460, C-6, 4X4
Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
In reply to this post by JimJam300
I have the Energy Suspension poly body mount bushings on my truck. Well, 2/3 of my truck, I haven't replaced the two at the back of the cab yet.

They did a tremendous job with eliminating various rattles and metallic pops as the body flexed around, even with only 4 out of 6 of them replaced.

I haven't noticed anything bad about the ride, but it's a truck from the early 80's so expectations were not high to begin with. I'd use them again in a heartbeat, they did way more good than anything, certainly did not harm ride quality.

But of course that's just the body mounts, I am trying to think of where suspension mounts would go. I know I replaced the spring eye bushings in the back, pretty sure with poly. Again, no problems. Rear sway bar bushings are poly too (I'm running a sway bar from a later truck). Front sway bar bushings also replaced, but they're the only bushings I can think of in the front.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
tcbaklash wrote
Hey dudes, just wondering what combination of suspension bushings and body/engine/trans mounts has made you most happy as far as ride quality and stability.

A while back I purchased polyurethane body mounts for my Bronco and last week I drove around in my boss' LJ Wrangler which had polyurethane body mounts and I thought "wow this would suck to drive more than 50 miles". You can feel the texture of the road basically. Luckily my body mounts are still sitting in a box. Along with poly suspension bushings I've already installed, the idea was to make the truck more "maintenance-free" and have better handling as well. But ride quality with polyurethane body mounts was much worse than I expected. I just discovered silicone body mounts but I didn't see any for older Fords
You cant compare your truck and that TJ as the wheel bases are different and that will make a BIG difference how they ride. They the type of suspensions front & rear, the weight of the 2 trucks, ect.

I am running full poly up front on my 81 F100 2wd flare side.
Out back and body I am using the old factory rubber mounts, same for motor & trans mounts.
I like the way the ride is. It is not harsh and is pretty smooth both for a truck & poly bushings up front.
I cant see running poly out back make it ride any different.
I would never use poly for body or motor / trans mounts as I believe it would transfer too much vibrations  inside.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I used the stock replacement bushings from LMC on two trucks. I bought all six at the same time from the core support to the cab. I found they worked great myself.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
i have the full set of energy suspensions poly body mounts on bubba (86 sb 2wd) i did these when i removed the three-inch body lift as an upgrade to the factory rubber mounts. the ride is fine, and noises are not an issue, i also installed a rancho 4" suspension lift at the same time. the ride is firm to be clear, but handling is great. the only thing that has become clear to me is how spoiled i can get driving an expedition with rack and pinion steering. it takes a couple miles to readjust to tending a gear.