classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Surfing Accident- Need Help Adjusting Hood

Dyn Blin
Trying for a sensational headline...

One of my girls and I rose early to try to get some surfing in with the almost empty roads & "Shelter in Place" now that she's home from school.  We parked on the bluff and as we pulled in, the car next to us needed a jump.  When I opened the truck's hood, a gust pulled it out of my hands and slammed it upright.  It felt a little different when I closed it, but it was still pretty dark so I gave it a gentle tug upward and did a mental shrug after it felt secure.  As we drove back to the highway, the hood popped up at about 30 MPH.  I secured it with a couple straps and got home.

With the sun overhead after we returned home, I found the hood wascontacting the cowl when I close it, and the rear corners (under the windshield) settling below the level of the cowl.  The contact stress st the time of event was substantial enough to blister and pop the paint off the cowl.  Paint in the hood is intact.

I adjusted the hood hinges "up" and towards the front via the attachments on the firewall and "inside" the hood, (pics show a sharpie where the bolts sat prior to adjustment).  Although the hood now latches securely, the alignment is obviously FUBAR'd.  

The hood does not seem to be bent or warped .

Am I seeing the effect of the hinges getting bent?  

Should I pick up "new" hinges at the yard (although it's closed with the SIP here in CA) or pull some off Ebay and start adjusting again after they are installed?

Am I missing anything obvious?

Driver Side Alignment

Passenger Side Alignment

Driver Side Hinge Firewall

Driver Side Hinge Hood

Hood Straight

I appreciate any advice

-Mark

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Surfing Accident- Need Help Adjusting Hood

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  But I don't know the answer to your questions.  That's 'cause Big Blue's hood fits roughly the same way and I've not figured out how to fix that, even though I've adjusted the hinges.

So I'll hide and watch to see what others say.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
No so bad.  Good waves and good dad-daughter time.  It's an opportunity to get some practice aligning body parts for the next Bullnose acquisition.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dyn Blin wrote
... for the next Bullnose acquisition.
You can't leave that there!  Gotta say more.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
First yes cat a set if hinges as they have to be bent.

Its hard to tell from the pictures is the back edge of the hood by the cowl in the center about even with the cowl?
If so and the corners low the hood is bent.
So how to get the corners back up? I think the safest way is to pull the hood off lay it on the ground with a 2x4 under each  corner and push down in the center.

Now I cant tell you how much to "jump" on it that is up to you. You may need to put the hood on & off a few time to test fit it and "jump" on it more.

If that is not what I see is wrong let me know.
Good luck
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by Dyn Blin
I am gonna have to go with replace the hinges, looks like they  got bent.
 From the looks of your neighborhood, looks like you live somewhere close to my son In Santa Rosa CA on the north west side of the 101
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Not far off!  

Kitty corner.  Bennett Valley on the SE side of town, close to the golf course.

I ordered what appears to be a clean set off Ebay.   I'll post some comparison photos after I get to compare side by side.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
If your hinges are that bent, you might want to check out the spring arms. there are two tabs that are bent over on the bottom arm to the top arm right by the spring. They are their to keep them from folding over back wards. They are on the outside right next to the pivot point.

Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
If the "new" hinges look like and have the same profile as the old hinges, the cab wall where they bolt up may be bent/twisted also....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
In reply to this post by old55pete
Thanks Pete & Ron- yes, the springs are extended more "upright" and seem to support the assumption of either the hinges bent or what Ron suggests with the firewall.  

I hope it's not the latter, and the force didn't seem to to be that sharp, but with that big sail of a hood and the beach gusts, it well could be.

Delivery should be by Thursday, so I'll circle back after I get a chance to compare.  I'm going to tinker with the hinges again today and post back if I find anything of merit before than.

Take care, all.

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by reamer
reamer wrote
If the "new" hinges look like and have the same profile as the old hinges, the cab wall where they bolt up may be bent/twisted also....
Also check where the hinges & springs bolt to the hood too.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100