Supermotors.net... is this your website Steve83?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Supermotors.net... is this your website Steve83?

Ford F834
Administrator
Hi Steve83, Gary and I noticed that many of your photo and webpage links say Supermortors, and I have quite a few web grabs with that same logo in the corner. Is this your website?
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Supermotors.net... is this your website Steve83?

Steve83
Banned User
I don't own, run, manage, or administer any website.  I only use them.  I've been using SMN for many years (back when it was SuperFord.Org), but it's similar to this forum: you can join SMN & upload your own photos there.  I like it because it's specifically set up so anyone can embed those pics (their own or others') into discussion forums like this one.  So I don't have to re-upload pics on every forum I use, and when I update a caption, it's updated for anyone who looks at it.  It also tracks hits so I can see what pics interest people, and which don't.  It's also among the few image-hosting sites that has captions, which I think makes the pics MUCH more-useful (because you can add links in those captions, too).
http://www.supermotors.net/forums/thid-5972-how-do-i-post-pictures-sounds-and-or-videos
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thanks for the explanation. It is really unfortunate that so many image host sites have ruined Forum threads as the pictures disappeared. One thing I wish Nabble had was a way to browse previous uploads and copy the link instead of uploading the same picture over and over if you want to show it again.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The folks that run Nabble are said to be working on a new, open-source platform to which we could move if we so desire - whenever it is done.  The beauty of the open-sourced approach is that people can write code that can be implemented if the user so desires.

Anyway, hopefully they've learned that it is better to load an image once and then reference it each successive time it is used.

Having said that, we don't really know how they do it.  It is possible that when we give them a link to an image they already have the system recognizes the link goes to them and doesn't actually upload and save the file.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, when you go to upload, the one thing I discovered is that Nabble uses your device’s name/number system. I tried using a photo edit program to correct the photo rotation issue, but my particular app calls all of your saves by the same name. I corrected/saved 4-5 images and uploaded them in the normal way. However, since they were all called the same thing on my phone, what I got was just the first image replicated 4-5 times. The catch is that this is only for the one post. If I took those same 4-5 images and uploaded each into its own post, the images would be different. Clear as mud? At any rate I do think there is a lot of duplicate storage going on 😔

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, that is interesting.  I'm not sure what to make of it, but here are two instances of the same image.  The first was uploaded directly to this thread from this tablet.  The second is from the thread 1984 Bronco XLT [Candidate for highest asking price!!!] where I did a right click and did a "Copy Image Address".

And here's what I got when I did that copy: "http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n19117/122418.jpg"  Note that the "122418.jpg" is the name of the file on this tablet.  And the "n19117" is part of the Permalink from that post, the whole of which is "http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1984-Bronco-XLT-Candidate-for-highest-asking-price-tp18814p19117.html".

That would imply that Nabble is going to get the file from the previous post.  But, when I click the "Insert image" for both of the shots I get exactly the same code for each: nabble_img src="122418.jpg" border="0"/  (Without the < and > before and after.)  That suggests that Nabble uploaded the file twice for this post.  

Clear as mud?  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Ford F834 wrote
...image host sites have ruined Forum threads as the pictures disappeared.
SMN had some problems years ago with stability, but they apparently switched server companies, and it has been rock-solid ever since.  Some of my SMN pics are 15 years old:

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
Steve83 wrote
Ford F834 wrote
...image host sites have ruined Forum threads as the pictures disappeared.
SMN had some problems years ago with stability, but they apparently switched server companies, and it has been rock-solid ever since.  Some of my SMN pics are 15 years old:

Yeah, your pictures & documentation have helped me in the past, I've used your stuff more than once so thanks for what you do and for being here. :)

Merry Christmas! :)