Sun Visor Restoration

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sun Visor Restoration

Danny G
Quick question. I cannot seem to find replacement visor rods. The old gal's springs are old and worn.

I am kind of curious though. Has anyone tried to restore the springs on these?

I know these are press fit by evidence of the petals here... But what if... You cut the petals off and removed the old spring.

Then tap the outside and put a new spring and lock nut on it.

Or given the clearance in the cab roof, put a piece of all thread in the tube with some epoxy. Then again threaded on a locknut. You should be able to effectively then tension your visors as necessary.

Clips help, I'm thinking a little neodymium magnet at the far end of the visor would hold the visor and keep it from bouncing around.

I see Jeff's Bronco Graveyard has some visor arms but they are listed for 1987+
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sun Visor Restoration

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The better thing to do is to get the later visors which have the latches on the inside.  The outside end will screw right to the existing holes in the trim piece, and you just mark and drill holes for the inside latches.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Believe it or not, do not be surprised if the holes for the inner end are already there. If you can find a set from an XLT Lariat they are dual visors, one swings to the side, the other just folds down in front of the windshield.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Rogue_Wulff
85lebaront2 wrote
Believe it or not, do not be surprised if the holes for the inner end are already there.
Perhaps on a truck with a headliner. My truck did not come with a headliner, so I had to drill the holes.
The later model, cloth sunvisors were one of the better mods in my interior. No more bouncey visors that keep deploring themselves.....
1980 F150 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel NV4500 2.75 ratio 9"
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thing is, I have brand new visors just need the brackets, they are new so I jumped on them when they were in stock as  they were OOS for so long. I was today days old when I found out you could use the 87+ sunvisors in the truck.

Will the brackets from the next generation fit these then? It sounds like they mount the same.

Scratch that, answered my own question, they are shorter but good news Jeff's got brackets for $17. going to put an order in.

He does have these retaining anchors.. wonder if they will clip over my visors if I put say a metal clip on the bracket to protect it much like it has on the corners already.

1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew