Suggested Prices On Leftover Big Blue Parts?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggested Prices On Leftover Big Blue Parts?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As Big Blue goes through his transformation I'll have lots of things for sale.  And while I don't expect to pay for the transformation by selling this stuff, it would be nice to recoup some of the costs.  But I'm not au fait with pricing on these things, so thought I'd see what y'all think.  Here are the things that come to mind off the top of my head:

D44HD front axle & suspension, from lockout to lockout, and they are Milemarker lockouts.  This includes brake calipers, springs, sway bar, and front driveshaft.  The diff has the Detroit Truetrac in it and the gears are essentially new.  Plus it'll come with the inner pivot brackets that bolt to the cross member.  In other words, the complete front end in working order.

460 bolt pattern T-19 transmission: Again, in working order, and includes the shift lever.

Edelbrock 460 Performer intake

Edelbrock 750 CFM Performer electric choke carb.  Runs perfectly.

L&L 460 headers.  Don't seem to leak at all.

Dual snorkel air cleaner: This is one of my concoctions based on an HO unit, and has the vacuum motors in the inlets but doesn't have the temp sensor to control them, although that would be easy to do.

I'll list this stuff in the For Sale section, but have already had a feeler on the front axle so thought I'd better ask around about pricing.  Thoughts, questions, suggestions welcomed.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Suggested Prices On Leftover Big Blue Parts?

salans7
People are doing substandard solid axle swaps on F250's all of the time here in the sunshine state, and I routinely come across the complete front ends minus brackets for around $300. That's lockout to lockout, springs, calipers etc. The only thing they don't come with that you're offering is the pivot brackets.

If you have receipts proving the work done inside the front axle, you can probably stretch for more. In reality though, who really needs a complete TTB D44HD or D50 since they don't just swap into the 4x2 trucks? The only thing that makes those axle housings worth anything are the lockouts and brake parts, and the gears and locker. The rest is pretty much scrap metal to most people.

The average off of the shelf transmission price at the junkyard is between $350-$450. So I would price the T19 a little below that and go from there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Shaun - Thanks, that helps.

I have Vernon's receipts, which might qualify if someone knows me and/or trusts me.  I'll look them up.

Since I think I'll have to pull the spring brackets and shackles off Big Blue in order to do the SuperDuty springs and RSK, wouldn't they make it easier to make a 2wd F250 into a 4wd?  Are the holes already there in the frame?

If so, with the driveshaft included all someone would have to have is a 4wd tranny and t-case and he'd have everything.  I think.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
With big parts, it really depends on the local market since they're not worth shipping.  But with such old parts, I wouldn't expect there to be a significant market anywhere.  I agree that you're more likely to sell the pieces than the whole TTB as an assembly, so I expect you'll either have it sitting around your yard for a decade (I have 2 or 3 here) waiting for people to ask for 1 or 2 pieces to be shipped, or you'll haul it to the scrapyard as an assembly.

The T19 was OK in its day, but that day has passed.  If you see an old truck or Jeep driving around, consider stopping the guy to tell him you have parts.  Otherwise, I expect it'll meet the same fate as the TTB.

For the smaller shippable parts, shop eBay as if you were trying to buy them, and see what they're bringing (if anything).
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
... and they COULD get a 4x4 transmission and transfer case from you!

The thing is that these are all known good parts from a running vehicle.
Not junkyard parts of unknown provenence.

Gary, I said before that your reputation among bullnose enthusiasts is unparalleled. No one would question buying parts from you.

I'd price the gearbox at 4 and see what happens.

Are those L&L's stainless or ceramic?
AFAIK stainless is nla and very pricey.

I thought the 750 was going to your brother?

You'll also have a complete DSII setup with distributor.
I recall someone asking about that swap recently.
And if it was for a Windsor, at least they'd have most of it.

I want to know what the front shackles look like when you get them out.
At $115 each for Chinese repop's  I'd be willing to buy them IF they are in much better shape than I think they are.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Nope, none of the holes are there for a 4x2 F250 or F350, so everything has to be custom drilled and fitted. Plus, 4x2 frames are missing the extra frame support bracket on the passenger side frame rail. When you think of an F250 or F350 4x2 frame, picture them as an F150 frame because that's basically what they are, albeit a bit heavier duty. It's just not worth it to try to adapt TTB to a 4x2 3/4 or one ton frame.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - You may be right that the best way is to part the whole thing out.  But, it is a bit like finding the whole Dana 60 front suspension: there's a balance between the time required to take the thing apart and sell each component and, therefore, get the highest price vs selling the whole thing in one go for less money.  So, I'll have to see what happens.

Shaun - Good to know on the bracket/shackle holes.  One guy had asked about the whole shooting match to put on his F250 2wd, so I'll let him know.

Jim - The L&L's don't appear to be ceramic.  And since they seem to have some rust on them I don't think they are stainless.  But they weren't painted black.  So maybe they were the nickel-plated one?

As for the tranny, Jonathan is interested in it, but not the bell housing, which he said should be worth some money as they are frequently cracked.  Anyway, I'll work with him on this.

And, you are right that I'll have a DS-II dizzy, coil, ignition box, and wiring harness.  While many are looking for either the small-block or 4.9L harness, this one could be modified fairly easily for either of those applications.

Last, I have the brackets from the '95 that should be the same, as shown below since all 1980 and on F250 & 350's take E5TZ 5K316-A.

And, here's the label off of one of mine, and after the pic was taken I cleaned it a bit more and it does say -A.  Further, it says 6/27/98 so these had been replaced.

Here's what the two of them look like.  Note that the bushings have cracks.

Having said all that, here's a comparo of those to the ones on Big Blue, but obviously have the later one upside down.  Anyway, I'd bet the ones that are on Big Blue have relatively new poly bushings.  Interested in either set?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I didn't realize BB's had been replaced.
Either set is far better than mine.
$162.45 a piece OEM.
Let me know what you'd want.

The bellhousing is rare as hens teeth.
They have a habit of breaking off the slave cylinder boss.
I'd say it would be gone in a day @ $100
Mine was.

Can't see how bad the rust is on the headers.
Only commented on the 12pt bolt. (Seems like there should be Stage 8 locks on there???)
I'd think those a bargain at $450 if the rust isn't bad.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those with the labels are from the '95.  Big Blue's bushings have been replaced though.  Anyway, email sent on pricing the shackles.

Good to know on the headers.  I'll see what shape they are in when I get them out.  As for the 12-point bolt, the cowl seal on Big Blue was almost non-existent when I got it.  And with the essentially daily rain Vernon said they get everything under the hood was corroded.

And, the bell housing may be a better item than I thought!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You know Gary, unless you have some really bad blood with FTE I wouldn't discount listing these parts in their marketplace.
It would cast a much wider net.

But I guess that depends on how hard it becomes to unload these parts.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I can still post on FTE, including things for sale.  I've chosen not to do so for the last two years as any extra time I have for forums can be used here.  But, if the items don't move pretty quickly when the time comes I'll post them there.

Now, for a question to you.  We've agreed a price for the shackles that are in Big Blue since the bushings are surely better than the ones off the '95.  What would prevent me from placing a chain around the frame and spring as a safety, supporting the front of the spring with a jack, pulling the G8's, lowering the spring a bit to get the shackle out, inserting one from the '95, and then raising the spring back in place and reinstalling the bolts?

That way I can ship them to you pretty quickly instead of you waiting for months.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Don't be bothered Gary.
You have so much going on and I am in no rush to rip into Li'l Red's front end.
The original idea was to upgrade Big Blue's suspension while the engine was out, because that would be expedient and make the most sense.

I have pivot bushings and the rear of the spring bushings that have been sitting in a box since last year.
This will be the last piece of the puzzle, since I was too cheap or broke to drop that kind of money on some simple little part.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, Jim.  I'll move onto the next thing.....

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Gary Lewis wrote
...the ones on Big Blue, but obviously have the later one upside down.
  You have that body mount assembled upside-down, too.  The hex-recessed shell & rubber go on top; the bolt & round rubber on the bottom (views U & Z):

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, score another for the "mechanics".  Hmmmm, I've often heard about "shade tree mechanics".  But palms aren't shade trees, are they?  

Thanks for pointing that out.  But that is coming apart as they also butchered the core support, so I have one Jonathan brought me almost two years ago that'll replace that one.  So I'll fix the mounts at the same time.

Reply | Threaded
|

1985 Bronco
I might be interested in that Performer Intake...

Currently debating between that one and the Weiand Stealth. I'm not really sure on what used ones go for.
1976 Ford F150: Regular Cab, Long Bed, 2WD, 460, C6

1985 Ford Bronco: Sold

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
1985 Bronco - I don't know either, but I'll keep you in mind for it.  But I'm not sure when I'll take it off.  Hopefully this fall.  Anyway, email me if you are interested.

Jim - I built an Eddy 600 for my brother.  A 750 is just too much for his little Bowtie 350.