5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stray wire

ckuske
Administrator
Hi Everyone -

I am slowly but surely trying to take care of a few easy fixes (not much experience working on cars, but hope to get better).  I actually replaced the blower motor resistor the other day.  Easy, but a step forward nonetheless.

My current question is:  There is a stray orange wire (can't see any dashes or dots, but the wire is painted over in most areas) that runs from the firewall on the drivers side, along the edge of the engine compartment, behind the coolant reservoir and is dangling near the headlights.  The end of the wire is exposed - no connector at all.  It's twisted/braided on the end.  

I've searched through the EVTM but am having a heck of a time finding it.  It's kind of odd, you will see that it's "by itself" and not in a bundle or anything like that.  In the first picture, the big object on the left is part of the speed control I believe (just for reference)

And here's where it ends..

I reconnected the horn since as well (it wasn't connected in the second photo)

Thanks for any help!
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stray wire

1986F150Six
Administrator
I do not know what it is for, but definitely cover the end. You might use a test light to see if it is "hot".
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't find a wire like that in the EVTM and suspect it has been added.  I'd go under the dash and see where it goes.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
OK, that's what I'll do.  Thanks guys.  

I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something in the EVTM first, so thanks for checking as well for me, Gary.

I've been noticing (now that I'm older and pickier) that the wire harness is in odd places - not fastened into the retaining clips on the fenders etc.  So, maybe this could be from when the rebuilt engine was installed and they didn't install everything where it was before, either.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
My truck had all manner of non-stock wires in it when I got it, because it had a plow, salt spreader and trailer hook-up on it. You never know what PO's put on at one time or another.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.