30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The begining of new "machine shop" on back of garage

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Heck, you could even leave the old slab as an apron if you met the LAC minimum.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Is Reamer's name Ray too, or is Jim confused about who is who? I might be confused myself.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
"Ron" , sorry it's fixed.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
ArdWrknTrk wrote
"Ron" , sorry it's fixed.
O I C
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Ive been getting estimates for 1. lifting and repair, 2. Metal buildings, 3.Pole Barns and 4.Stick framing, and as figured, Scrapping (re-purposing) what is there and starting new seems to be the way to go.

But even going this way, New 38x38 1 story 3-bay garage is still hitting 45 -55K Without concrete floor!

With the building official retiring in less 40 days, we don't know who well get, a hard ass, a snot-nosed newbie going by the book, of a cooperative-person that understands the situation....

So far it looks like I have to break out the framing and the roofing nailer and do this myself... Not what I was planning on, but with 20+k of the cost just in labor...…..

Which brings up another curve ball, the Wife-ee, We can do something quite functional to hold down this unexpected cost, and she's holding the purse-strings on this, yet in the same breath, She wants:

A salt box style roof and copula.
New insulated doors bay doors with windows.

Roof overhang on all sides
 Updated lighting
 and a 4th baydoor on the backside.

Nothing like being told "keep the cost down, but I want".....

1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yup
"It's perfect! BUT.......".  

Ron, do you know any of the guys in the FTE CT Chapter?
Ray Gagnon is a electrical contractor and has a ditchwitch.

Others are in the trades.

Have you considered a barn raising?

I have tools for two (at least!)

You'd have to have the slab in place, and the mudsills would be good too, but with a solid plan and enough food and caffeine to keep them going even a motley crew can get a lot done. (I volunteer for H4H and Christmas in April) so I've seen it work.

Speak to your inspector.
Have them brief their replacement.

It's not like one goes home on Friday and another shows up Monday morning.

I've bumped heads with a lot of *$#@&'+(?'s  but most will work with you when they know what you face.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by reamer
Ron,
I was reading a little more about your predicament up there in the north east corner today.

Seems like the CFSIC is running out of $, and will stop taking applications when they hit a hard ceiling of $121.6M. (they're at 101M right now)

JJ Mottes Concrete in Stafford is DONE and the quarry in Willington is no longer supplying aggregate for concrete.

Did you consider building adjacent to the existing slab?
Do you even have the room?

There would be a lot less site disruption if you didn't have to rip it all out and then truck in fill.
At the least you could do it on your own schedule once the existing structure is moved or gone.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
reamer wrote
This is going to end up a Fed-funded issue, This is getting way-to big. Many of the town's tax bases are quickly eroding, a 400,000 dollar house is now being assessed at 80-100grand, times thousands of houses = catastrophe.
I don't see the precedent.
The Federal Government has no authority nor any mandate.
In point of fact it would be unconstitutional at the Federal level.
(even if our current administration was inclined to make handouts to those affected)

This is not a natural disaster like a flood or volcano.
This is not an environmental disaster like a Superfund site.
This has nothing to do with interstate commerce. (except for any persons in Massachusetts or Rhode Island that may have gotten a bad load)

The Fed's could offer a low interest loan.
The State could raise a bond, if somehow this could be construed as in the public interest.

But short of the Feds taking the companies that caused this mess, under RICO or something, there is technically nothing they can do.
And those companies don't have any assets or real holdings that could be liquidated and disbursed by the Attorneys General to make it right for those affected.

Plus, there's a lot of backlash in this State about the government stepping in on any property issue with landowners, after the whole Kelo -imminent domain- fiasco in New London. (which is STILL a brownfield, unfortunately)

For now $121M is it..... and it's all spoken for at this point.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
...and we all know the feds never do anything unconstitutional.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary asked us not to delve into politics, so I'm not going to let you get me on a tear.

I could say a lot....
But I would rather that the government sworn to uphold the Constitution, would actually do so.
 Jim,