classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stopped...The begining of new "machine shop" on back of garage

reamer
This post was updated on .
After 20 years of applying for the "OK" from the Administrator of Sex and Finance, she finally approved my 12' x 36' addition on the back of the garage!

Will have a cement floor, 2 openings into the existing garage 10' wide and 9' high. old floor and new floor will be flush.

1300 lbs hoist, 20 ton press, 37" metal shear, stand-alone drill press, table saw, and 80" home-made brake.
(the brake was made for making the Flareside diamond plate bed rails.)
Plasma cutter, welder oxy torch.

Alarm system, Dog, and M-1 Garand for security.....

Photo of tearing off the old lean-to.

1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The begining of new "machine shop" on back of garage

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippee!!!!!  Congratulations!!!  

I gather the work has started, although the pic of tearing off the old lean-to is a bit over-exposed, so I'll have to take your word for it.  

And, you appear to have a very good set of tools/equipment to move into it.

By the way, David/1986F150Six asked me the other day what you are asking for the speaker patch.  I don't know, so care to share?

And, are you making them or is Shapeways?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
The photo would not load, just sat in La-La land...

I may have a speaker grille available, I'll look....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I see it!  Looks like you certainly have started.  Have a completion date in mind?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by reamer
reamer wrote
After 20 years of applying for the "OK" from the Administrator of Sex and Finance, she finally approved my 12' x 36' addition on the back of the garage!
Administrator of Sex and Finance...lol. Well done Ron!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
I started getting estimates to dig the foundation, Needs to go 56" lower that existing cement wall height, (for footing)

Estimate 1 was $1000.

Estimate 2 was $140.00 per hour (and figured 5-6 hrs) $700 - $840.

Neighbor with JD Back hoe, did it, 4 hours, $150.00 total!
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
It always is wise to get several quotes!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
reamer wrote
............After 20 years of applying for the "OK" from the Administrator of Sex and Finance, she finally approved my 12' x 36' addition on the back of the garage!.........
That is a joke...right?
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
The whole project has come to a screeching hault…
It looks like I may have to tear down the existing 3 car structure!

Here in CT back in the mid 80's the local sand pits and concrete manufactures ran into veins of sand that contained large amounts of a mineral, Pyrrhotite, which over extended periods of time, 10-20 years, breaks down the concrete to powdery chunks, and is visually evident with not your typical vertical
"settling" hairline cracks, but numerous horizontal "spider-web" cracking and chunks falling out.

Many home owners with 3-400K houses are "walking away" from homes because the house value plummets to under 100K!
Insurance companies refuse to cover the 100-150K replacement costs to lift a house and replace the foundation.
The State of CT had to pass laws just so insurance companies can not cancel of "fail" to renew policies!

There is state aid to homeowners IF the foundation is under you "primary structure" - the home itself.

But as a few contractors I have had over to the garage, my structure in not the primary structure, and not help is available.....

After we dug the trench for the addition we found the horizontal cracking...

I've been given estimates of @25 K to replace the 48" walls and footings, but the building inspector and some contractors say its to my benefit to simply demo the whole thing and start over and build "what you want"....

So now I "have to" move forward... cant "fill in the hole" and ignore it, because sooner or later with freezing and thawing, and snow loads, the walls can "blow out" but having $60K for a new one is not in the game plan either.

What to do...

Thinking of a "Go fund me" page.....

Reamer

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh no!!!  That's awful!  I'm so sorry.  That is going to be a hard decision to make, but isn't it going to take a lot more than $25K to replace what you have?

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
the 25K was just to Shore up the existing garage and demo out the existing foundation (24'x36') pour new foundation and floor and reset structure.

Then we could move forward for the addition (@ 10-14 more K) so I'm into it for a minimum of 40K.

That's where the contractors are thinking start over for the 35K and make it better.

But new three cars are going for 45K and up....
Hmmm..
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm sorry to hear that this has bitten you Ron.

As a tradesman I've been aware of the crumbling foundation thing for going on a decade.
But I live 'down in the toe' and not in eastern CT where I understand most of the damage is.

If I was closer, I'd offer to come and help.
If you end up having a barn rasing I may still.

Anyway, my thoughts are with you and I hope you find a way clear of this mess.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
At those prices, I'd be very tempted to try to DIY.  I've seen documentaries about cities where mines have cause major subsidence in residential areas, and the entire cities have had to be moved (at the mining companies' expense), and others about moving trees, and more about moving ships that were blown inland by a hurricane (where I grew up).  The show about the Millieu Viaduct was also interesting & relevant.

So I'd build a structure on the garage floor that would support the weight of the garage, but leave gaps where LARGE beams could be inserted under the walls & above the slab.  Then lift it all (either with air bags, screw jacks, or hydraulic jacks), put the beams in, break out the slab, form it, pour it, and drop the building back down (or maybe leave it at the new height and just pour the edge higher).  It might destroy your expansion budget, but it would cost less than rebuilding or losing the garage.

I did something similar decades ago to re-level a house whose piers had settled, causing lots of problems.  I did the whole job alone using the bottle jack from my Bronco, a cheap water level from Lowe's, and some scrap asbestos siding (as permanent shims).  I was going to lift the 2nd floor off the first (because it had been built short for some reason) to replace all the wall studs with longer ones, but the owner decided not to.

If you succeed & save a lot of money, you might make a lot becoming a consultant to the contractors who gave you the high bids, or licensing your technique to them.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This concrete thing is a big mess.

You need equipment to break it up and move it to a triaxle to get it out.
And you can't recycle it back into aggragate.

I can lift a building with jacks and cribbing, but then you have to demo and shift all that crap by hand (at least to outside the structure)
Or you have to get a tiny machine to feed the one big enough to load it.

Then you have to pour and place X-yards under and around that structure, wait, and place it back down plumb & square.

You're time and $ ahead to just scrape it and proceed forward with something NEW.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
My barn cost $30,000 new. That was a 40x40 addition with 16' eaves onto an existing 20x40, and re wrapping the existing. Included gravel inside. I built the 2nd floor myself for just a couple thousand bucks.

Of course, I dont have ground issues here. We are on solid clay layer overtop a very thick limestone base. No sand, ever.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ray,
I haven't seen any updates on your shop recently.
Are you all done?

The loft party looked like fun times with great family!

Ground (bearing) isn't usually an issue here.
Frostlines are, is is wind lift, and other codes.
Pole barns aren't really a common thing here, either.
Labor and materials are far higher in CT than the rural south. (If my brothers house in NC is any indication)

It's the aggregate that went into the concrete slab and footings that is dissolving.
People are losing their homes, or unable to sell and walking away.
I don't think anyone was aware of the issue when the concrete was poured. (Maybe the mob who run the materials and concrete companies)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Oh! I see now. I misread the earlier posts. I thought it was sand in the soil. Didnt realize the concrete was actually the issue. That SUCKS.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
reamer wrote
What's the pull strap hitched to?
Neighbors John Deere, or your Flareside?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
reamer wrote
The whole project has come to a screeching hault…

What to do...
Ron, let me ask you, do you have enough setback to shift the whole garage?

Have you or any of your contractors considered pouring a new foundation and stem walls, ( with enough extra for your addition) moving the structure over?
Then demo the slab, and build your extension?

It would be much easier than trying to get that crap out, placing forms and settng a bunch of concrete under a building perched above.
 Jim,