Stock camber adjustment 85 f250 4wd

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stock camber adjustment 85 f250 4wd

Johnbi
I installed a 4” lift an the truck . Now it has positive camber are the original upper ball joints adjustable 3241963A-DEA8-4B60-96CE-2054695F58BA.jpeg
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stock camber adjustment 85 f250 4wd

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Can't see your pic, but you need drop pivots, adjustable camber bushings, an extended pitman arm AND a knowledgeable alignment shop to make that work.

Trust me, I've had my 250HD for 32 years, and I know my alignment guy well enough to be invited to his house for holidays.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It isn't the ball joints themselves that adjust, but the bushings or eccentrics Jim mentioned.  And the truck had adjustable bushings, but they only had a very limited range.

I use Moog's bushings, as shown below, which give the widest range of adjustment I can find.  But even then you'll have to do what Jim described to get it properly aligned.

The bushing on the top is probably a stock bushing, and the one on the bottom is the Moog fully adjustable one.  With the stock one you get two settings.  With the bottom one you get 6 on the outer part and something like 25 on the inner.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Johnbi
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I put the drop pitman arm on and the axle drop brackets but the shop it’s at says it’s 4 degrees out and they can only find sleeves that go 2 degrees so they are going to look for adjustable ball joints
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Right there they wrote themselves out of my book.

First, it's hard to believe that you are over 4* out if you used drop brackets, new pivot bushings and the correct springs.
Moog are -.75 - +2.75 Iirc, and Jimmy and his crew have never failed to get one back well within spec.
(Sometimes not dead nuts on, but always very close. Safe and comfortable)

There are other (off road) companies that make ones with more adjustment, but the sleeves get thin at that point.

Be aware, that reversing a TTB truck will mess with camber and toe in.
So don't back into a space and look at your tires in shock.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
That last line is a great point, I've done that before and scratched my head saying to myself "did I hit something I don't remember, that looks weird"?

Thanks for that.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Johnbi
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thanks for the reply’s I took the truck back home and loosened all the bolts to the springs and U bolts with the weight of the truck on it and it let the springs settle out and drive it around on some bumps . I got a little carried away when I tightened all the bolts with the truck in the air and no weight on the springs and kinda locked it in place