Stinky engine/ exhaust

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stinky engine/ exhaust

delco1946
So I’m getting tired of my exhaust stinking so much, it’s annoying and embarrassing. I took apart my Pcv valve and oil filler cap and cleaned them out along with the metal vacuum line connecting from the manifold to the pcv. I can’t tell, but it might even smell more now, unless that’s the engine cleaner crud and disturbed grease burning off( I cleaned my engine last night) . What’s the best order of parts/systems to inspect and clean to clean up the exhaust systems?
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stinky engine/ exhaust

1986F150Six
Administrator
Tell us when the "smelly exhaust" problem began.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by delco1946
Does it have a Catalytic Converter? Is it rotten egg smell? Do elaborate.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
ive only had it since feb. Not a rotten egg smell, It just smells like a dirty ol pickup truck. I doubt it did that when new so i figure i need to start going through the systems one by one, to clean and inspect. Just wonder where to start to (hopefully) see the biggest improvement. At least to date (colder weather) when it first start up the exhaust is whitish, but goes away. I don't think it smells like i'm burning oil(??) and my engine compression test checked out fine (all pistons around 135 to 145 psi as i recall) I was thinking this was more akin to moisture which happens with all vehicle to some extent.

I'm sure it just needs general care/love and a good cleaning. I'm hoping this will improve gas mileage too. I just keep comparing this to my 1955 ford which starts better (6V!), smells better, idles better etc. I would have hoped after 30 years of technolgoy improvements that my truck would be the better engine
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
im not sure about the CC. I didn't think it did since it was (1981 4x4) built in the PNW/sold in the seattle area.
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseHunter02
isnt the exaust supposed to smell? I mean, not to be wierd but i love the smell of it! (Yeah, i realize its harmful)
Hunting for a Bullnose, single cab, 8 foot bed, decent shape with little to no rust! and under 10k in near or around the STL Mo area, (Illinois is a valid option aswell!)
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
If you degreased the motor it will have a little smell till it all burns off and I think the exh. will for a bit also.

When you did the compression check what shape & color were the plugs in?
Did they look new and light brown / gray in color or warn out and black sooty?
Cap / rotor & plug wire in good shape?
If the motor needs a tune up you have to do that before anything else can / should be done.

A little whitish smoke, condensation, will come out when cold and stop when the exh system heats up and boils it out.
Condensation should be gone in the air in a short time, oil smoke will hang around longer and will have a smell to it. Also when up to temp depending the cause of the burning oil it may stop or not.
If it happens when first started and if coming down a long hill off the throttle that could be valve guides and or seals.
If it is happening all the time then would think rings.

If you take it for a long drive, over an hour at high way speeds, does it still smell and smoke?
A lot of times we don't take our older cars / trucks for a nice long high way speed run to "blow it out" and it can load up the exh. system (cat) and cause issues down the road.

Oh you also asked about MPG being bad. What kind of driving and what are you getting for MPG?
It may not be that bad for that truck but if you are matching it to a newer one it will never happen.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
update: i think the some of stink is from cleaning the engine and the old oil being moved around etc. The engine didn't get very clean at all (and ill admit I'm a clean freak) so ill prolly spend a weekend sometime doing a better job. I re-read my 1980 do-it-yourself service guide and it said to clean the PCV system with mineral spirits so i took it all apart and soaked it while doing yard work. It seems to run much better now, better idle, no colored exhaust coming out the tailpipe (from whatever). Im pretty excited. Also finally bought a hand vacuum pump - checked my air intake temp control. Everything seems to work except the vacuum motor that cuts off cold air. Not sure how to remove that sucker but at least i can take my pump to the yard and find a working one!

Also, is there a list of parts people want and willing to pay shipping for/cover the cost? I have found some decent looking bezels, a 1984 owners manual in nice condition saturday, and other things. I feel bad seeing this stuff - i don't need it but its all gonna get crushed if no one takes it. However i can't be buying lots a random stuff either and storing it in my basement....
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
i forgot to answer- i had a mechanic do the compression test and general checkup before i bought it. So i don't have answers to your question but i'd hope they would have mentioned anything odd with the spark plugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like you are getting things sorted on the engine.  Once it is clean then we can address whatever smell is left.  But it might be air/fuel related, like maybe a leaking power valve or maladjusted idle mix.

On the parts, we have the Want To Buy folder, and I'm sure the guys that have things listed in there would be interested in what you find.  Or you could advertise what you find in the For Sale, Trade, or Free To A Good Home folder.  But there's almost always interest in things you listed.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI