classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stereo Wiring Question

Quarterwave
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install a stereo in my 1985 F150, which is a radio-delete model - no wiring for a stereo or speakers in the truck.

After looking at the fuse panel in the cab, there is a provision for a radio, but there is no fuse in that slot.

With that in mind, how can I run the power from the head-unit, back to the fuse panel to make it look factory?

I've never pulled apart a fuse panel and so, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
351 H.O Windsor, aluminum heads
Cam: Lift = .496''/.520'' Duration @ .050: 224°/234°
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich All-Terrains
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stereo Wiring Question

PetesPonies
This post was updated on .
I'm willing to bet the wiring is there. Woulds be more expensive to have a harness made without the wires and one made with the wires. But, it is also very easy to wire a radio with your own wires. You can run a inline fuse so you do not need the fuse in the fuse box. But, if you check where the fuse is supposed to be .  you see no metal parts for holding a fuse? I guess you don't own a VOM ?
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
PetesPonies wrote
I'm willing to be the wiring is there. Woulds be more expensive to have a harness made without the wires and one made with the wires.
My 1984 F150 is a radio delete model as well, and I couldn't find any wires in it anywhere for the radio, and there are definitely no wires going to the doors. Maybe they started using a complete harness for all trucks sometime after the Bullnose, I have no idea, but the rationale at the time was probably to not waste money running unnecessary wiring in vehicles that didn't need them. I dunno.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Yeah, I'm fairly certain that there are no wires.

That also reminds me - what would the part be called that runs the wires from the door frame into the actual door? My truck has manual door locks and windows, so there is no power wires running into the doors - does anyone know what types of rubber boots or grommets are being used on say, a Bronco or Lariat F-series?
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Rembrant
I have seen extra wiring in many vehicles. Think about the time to make harnesses. Easier to use the same harness than have a totally different one made, just minus a couple wires.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Quarterwave
OK, so if there are no wires, then so be it. Then it's actually can be easier as you won't need to buy a special plug to adapt to the factory wiring. You run your two power wires, a ground and speaker wires and you have tunes.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Thanks Pete - serious question, where do I run the power wires?

The fuse box has no fuse in the "radio" location, and as the truck is a radio delete truck, I'm not sure if there are even wires hooked to to that slot.

I can run the ground to a bolt in the frame of the dash...
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Click this & read the first several captions in the album:

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Steve - what type of connectors are these called?

... and from what I can tell, I just run the hot lead from the head unit into the radio location and then add a 15 amp fuse?

If I wanted to run power to a powered sub, where would I connect that?
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Most subs pull more power than you want to direct through the original fuse box and its skinny wiring.  So, assuming that it pulls quite a bit of power, I'd run it directly from the battery, with a fuse right at the battery.

But, maybe I should ask what the wattage is on it?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Quarterwave wrote
Steve - what type of connectors are these called?
I don't know that they have a name or PN - just get a JY fuse block, and pull them out as those pics show.
Quarterwave wrote
...just run the hot lead from the head unit into the radio location and then add a 15 amp fuse?
Yes, assuming your radio actually needs 15A.  If it only needs 4, there's no reason to go larger than a 5A fuse.  But never go larger than the WIRES can handle.
Quarterwave wrote
If I wanted to run power to a powered sub, where would I connect that?
As Gary mentioned: it depends on the sub's peak current draw.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
PetesPonies wrote
I'm willing to bet the wiring is there.
I stand corrected Pete. I said in this thread (and others) that my radio delete truck had NO wiring provisions for a radio. Well, I did find a radio plug today, tucked away on the glovebox side of dash. It is the power wire for a radio. One yellow wire for IGN on power, and a light blue/red stripe wire for radio illumination. However, there are no speaker wires of any kind. Oddly, the 15amp radio fuse is there as well.

That's all, I was just updating this to correct my previous comments.

Hey Quarterwave, did you ever get a stereo installed in your radio delete truck?

Curious if you installed door speakers.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks for the clarification.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Hi Rembrandt,

Yes!

In short - yes, I added door speakers.

Here is a rundown of what needed to happen:

1) I pulled all of the interior out as the headliner was sagging and I wanted to fix that. So, everything came out and while I was at it, I cleaned and then Dynamatted the entire interior and re-dyed all of the interior plastic parts (excluding the door cards, as I wasn't sure if the dye would rub off on my arms). It took about 2 hours to pull out all of the trim and seats. It took another days work to wash, clean, prep and dye all of the panels.

Dynamatting the roof, pillars and floors took a leisurely weekend.

I also cut and installed flooring underlay on all of the back sides of the trim panels - which took a few hours. A little longer than I wanted, as the adhesive (3M Super 77) did not stick to the carpet padding!!!  So, I used some duct tape to keep it in place.

2) Next, I ran a power wire from the battery for a powered subwoofer, by cutting a small access hole in the little grommet in the firewall near the passenger side foot well.

3) Ran that cable along the passenger side door sill and up along the rear of the cabin where the floor meets the rear panel.

4) Unbolted all seat belts (45 size Torx bolt) and cleaned them.

5) Measured and cut the ground wire, added a 10ga ring connector (cut into a "Y" to accommodate the larger bolt), heat shrinked it all, and used the passenger-side rear seat bolt as the ground for the subwoofer.

6) Ran the subwoofer level control lead, the subwoofer power-on lead and the Red/White signal leads along the driver side sill.

7) Once all the lengths were determined, I taped everything down with aluminum tape (same used for the joint seams in the Dynamat) and duct tape. I also cut small access holes in the carpet, to pull the wires through for the sub connections.

8) For the door speakers, I had to drill holes in the doors for the speaker wire and also in the cabin shell just where the kick panels are.

9) These were hard to drill - and the drilling location for the doors were a PITA to access, so I used multiple bits to step up the size of each hole.

10) I installed some rubber boots to prevent wire chafing and ran the speaker wire through to each door.

11) I crimped and heat-shrunk speaker connections on each speaker wire.

12) The factory holes for the speakers did not line up with those of the speakers I bought (6.5" Polk Audio), so I used a small bit to make those holes, mocked up the speaker to confirm fitment, hooked up the wires to each terminal (noting which ones were positive/negative) and installed the speakers. It's a neat, snug fit.

13) Used electrical tape and tie downs to essentially make a wiring loom, which contained the left side speaker wire, the subwoofer level control lead, the subwoofer power-on lead and the Red/White signal lead and snaked them up and under the dash (over the steering column etc...).

14) I affixed and connected the subwoofer volume controller and cable onto the front/rear brake bias controller that I have on my truck, which is located just to the left of the steering column, at the bottom of the dash.

15) Once the other wires were routed out through the stereo bezel opening, I ran and snaked the passenger side speaker wire through the dash and out through the stereo bezel opening.

16) I then grabbed the harness connector for the stereo and cut, crimped and heat-shrunk all of the relevant connections (front speakers (L/R), power on for sub woofer etc...).

17) As I don't have an exterior antenna, I found out that they now sell digital antennas that can be mounted under the dash. So I picked up one of those and cable tied it to a bracket in the dash that's located off the firewall just towards the drivers side in the dash... and ran the antenna cable out of the stereo bezel opening, while tying in the power lead for the antenna into the "power on" lead from the head unit (same wire as the sub-woofer power on wire).

18) For the yellow wire (power wire that controls the memory for the head unit), I ended up tapping that into the power wire coming through the firewall that was supplying power to the sub woofer.

This is important, as the yellow wire was 16 ga whereas the power wire is 10 ga. This presented an issue, as the cable splicers that I use are gauge-specific, and the 16 ga connector would not grab enough of the 10 ga wire to make a good connection.

To remedy this, I exposed the wire in the 10 ga, and manually wrapped the 16 ga wire around that exposed wire, and then sealed it all with electrical tape. I know I should have soldered it in, but it was getting on in the day and I wanted to test the system. Plus, it's right there under the carpet line, so I can come back and clean that up at a later date if needed.

19) To get power to the head unit, I then ran the red power lead into the fuse box - near the drivers side kick panel. My truck didn't have the 15 amp fuse that was required, so I used one of those "fuse-tappers" and bent the connection 90 degrees so that I could run the power lead neatly out of the fuse box and hooked that into a new fuse, and pressed the fuse into the "radio" fuse box location.

20) All wires were then cable tied into the main loom(s) to try and prevent rattles and excessive movement.

21) I then went into the engine bay to cable tie the power lead into some of the existing wires near the A/C freezer/drier, crimped and heat-shrunk a 10 ga, 30 amp in-line fuse, and then crimped on a 10 ga ring connector and heat shrunk it.

22) The red 10 ga connector was then added to the positive battery clamp.

23) After turning the ignition key to "Accessories" and powering on the head unit..... SUCCESS!

NOTES:

1) I will admit that my first couple of tries yielded no power to the head unit, which ended up being that yellow "memory" power wire not being connected well enough into the powered lead for the sub woofer. Once I got that sorted out, all was good.

2) I'll also note that I cut all of the cables to really specific lengths - in fear of having too much wiring behind the dash. However, if I did it again, I would give myself some extra cable to work with (maybe 6 to 8 inches). If I need to pull out the head unit, the main harness connector will not permit me to fully pull out the deck, without me having to put a hand up under the dash to wiggle it out. I guess you live and learn.

3) The powered sub did NOT fit under my rear seat without some work (I have a supercab). To create enough clearance, I had to add 3 large nuts (spacers that large were not available where I was looking) along with larger bolts for the rear seat floor mounts. It was not ideal but created the clearance I needed.

4) The subwoofer is not "mounted". I just sits under the rear seat as there just isn't the room to add some carpeted PDF or similar. I'm going to see how it all works out in real driving conditions and will address it if needed.

5) I'm battling with some carpet that is a terrible fit (thanks, LMC!!!) so once I manually sew in some other sections, I'll clean everything up without the front seat in and take some pics.

6) This was a nice challenge and I'm glad that I did it. I hope others can benefit from the write up provided. As my truck has a big cam and aluminum heads, I'm not sure if I'll be able to hear it but I'm hoping that I can!

If anyone needs some help during an install of their own, please contact me and I'll do my best to help!
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Dnyamat on 1985 F150 Roof

Dynamat on 1985 F150 Interior Rear Cabin Wall

1985 F150 Driver Side Door Speaker Install - 6.5"

1985 F150 Dynamat on Floor

1985 F150 Blue Headliner Install

1985 F150 Subwoofer Install

1985 F150 Blue Carpet Install

Reserved for pics.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Quarterwave wrote
10) I installed some rubber boots to prevent wire chafing and ran the speaker wire through to each door.
Excellent, info, thanks!

What did you use for the boots?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good write up.  Thanks!

How does it sound?

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Quarterwave wrote
17) As I don't have an exterior antenna, I found out that they now sell digital antennas that can be mounted under the dash. So I picked up one of those and cable tied it to a bracket in the dash that's located off the firewall just towards the drivers side in the dash... and ran the antenna cable out of the stereo bezel opening, while tying in the power lead for the antenna into the "power on" lead from the head unit (same wire as the sub-woofer power on wire).
Also interested in this since I also have no antenna. How is this one working out? I see LMC or one of them sells an under dash "hidden" antenna like that. What brand/model did you use? And how has it been?

I mostly listen to Podcasts these days, so the radio isn't a huge priority for me, but I would still like it to be functional for the odd time that I DO want to use it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
So far, it's been great but admittedly, I haven't really driven around town with it, yet.

I bought the brand that is for sale in the LMC online catalog, which is probably the same one that you were checking out. The only issue I found was that they intentionally give you a lot of cable, in case you want to mount if somewhere far away from the head unit (which in most instances, is a good thing).

However, for my installation, that was unnecessary, as the location was only 12-14 inches away from the head unit.

That being said, the head unit I'm using has HD radio and it sounds quite good. Clear and plenty of volume.

I personally prefer to upload content into my phone and then sync the phone to the stereo using Bluetooth.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Sounds great!

I'm using a Kenwood head unit which has a bunch of options for the EQ curves and all that, so I need to play with it some more, but the power is nice and clean, as is the bass.

I had to laugh as when I first turned it all on, I had no bass from the sub after all the work plumbing it in!

That's when I noticed I had the amp volume on zero....

1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims