Steering wheel on Craigslist

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Steering wheel on Craigslist

1985 Bronco
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/pts/d/ford-bronco-f150-f250/6620515820.html

Obviously used, but looks like it is in very nice shape.
1976 Ford F150: Regular Cab, Long Bed, 2WD, 460, C6

1985 Ford Bronco: Sold

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Steering wheel on Craigslist

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is nice looking, but I'm pretty sure it is for an E-Series van.  Here's the one being advertised:

And here's the Rosewood steering wheel for a 1980 - 84 F-Series truck.  (In '85 they went to Burlwood, which is a completely different look.)  Notice that the van's grain runs side-to-side while the Rosewood grain runs up and down.  It would work, but is not correct.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
If anyone runs across a Rosewood steering wheel like in Gary's second picture, please let me know!  Most of the trim has come off the center of my steering wheel (I think the previous owner ripped it off... why?!)
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Another difference is the van's have the "horns" on the outer part. None of the variances would stop me from purchasing if I needed and wanted, but we are just trying to educate each other. Thanks for posting, 1985 Bronco!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
1986F150Six wrote
Another difference is the van's have the "horns" on the outer part. None of the variances would stop me from purchasing if I needed and wanted, but we are just trying to educate each other. Thanks for posting, 1985 Bronco!
Amen, brother!  I didn't mean to sound like I didn't appreciate the post.  Just wanted everyone to know that even though the seller said it is right for a pickup or Bronco that it isn't.  Should work fine, but isn't correct.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by ckuske
Reply | Threaded
|

1985 Bronco
Is the wheel itself the same? And just the trim piece different? I don't need it, but just wondering
1976 Ford F150: Regular Cab, Long Bed, 2WD, 460, C6

1985 Ford Bronco: Sold

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I believe the wheel is the same.  But it is just the horn pad that is different.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, from what I have seen in my time junkyarding the late 80’s and 90’s van steering wheels like the one shown are different. They look superficially like the bullnose deluxe padded steering wheels but they are a harder plastic and lack the little stitching pattern around the inside. They certainly will work, and only the most particular people will notice, but I for one don’t care much for the van steering wheels. They are not as deluxe and comfy as the padded wheels, yet not as classic as the slender hard plastic ones on the bullnose pickups.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's good to know, Jonathan.  I highly prefer the thicker wheel, having changed Dad's truck over from the pencil-thin one it came with as it was just too thin.  But I like the padded feel, so probably wouldn't like the van wheel.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, I am in the minority I guess. I prefer the slender wheel. It has a certain “antique” feel to it, along with the tactile experience of the old school threaded shift knobs. It’s not just a nostalgia thing though... all newer vehicles have “fat” steering wheels that are a lot more of a handful than I like. I am a little conflicted with my bullnose wheels. I like the feel of the slender one, but in Arizona they turn into branding irons in the summer. So the padded style will be going on both of my trucks.

The van wheel is not bad, it’s just not as nice as the bullnose padded one. They are rubbery more than cushy foam, and seem like they are durable. I have not seen them crack like the hard plastic wheels, and the grip does not separate from the steel core like the padded style.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2