Steering column services

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Steering column services

Gsmblue
Anyone use them? The one in the Bronco is so torn up I decided to give them a go. Not cheap, but time is an issue.

The wife is out of town for 10 days and i need to get this thing driveable!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Steering column services

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Haven't heard of them.  Got a link?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Of course!

http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Wow! Pricey, but they are covering all the bases.

What's all wrong with yours?
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
Ouch! Do you not have any junkyards in your area that might have a good used one? My yard charges $45 + $3 core for a steering column without air bag. Comes with the steering wheel. Often the key is in it. After tax and environmental charge you are looking at ~$55. I’d at least call around before dropping that kind of money.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
The 2 at my local yard are worse than the one I have..

Everything is wrong with mine.. cowels are beat up and cut up, shifter level and tilt level dont work properly, you can move the whole wheel a couple of inches up and down and an inch left to right. Only thing that works right is the bloody key!

This is for the wife and she is used to modern trucks..  so I guess if it is as good as it sounds it will be worth it.. i will report back next week ..

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Only thing I can suggest is that you could use columns right through 91. That should open up a few options. I probably have half a dozen good ones here in Saskatchewan. Even with shipping I don't think they would come to that kind of price.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
The Bullnose steering columns are not too bad to rebuild. I just did mine last fall, however it was not a tilt column. I've seen rebuilt Bullnose tilt columns on Ebay for $600 USD. Mine had the added issue of being a three-on-the-tree column, but even that isn't a big deal...it was more of an issue with the repair parts being obsolete that anything else.

The problem I had was locating all of the parts. I ended up with steering column parts from I think 3 or 4 different NOS Ebay sellers, the lower bearing from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, and the rest from the Ford dealer. The other major problem was that the mounting tabs had rusted/broken off the firewall mounting plate. I had to sand blast the plate, weld new mounting tabs on, and then re-adhere the rubber to the plate, and paint. From what I've read online, this is a fairly common problem, at least in the rust belt.

I would think these column repair shops would do a very nice job. They're going to have everything on hand, and will do them quickly.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I had the money and not the time.. i have hunted down so much stuff for this Bronco in the last month i just could bear to tear the column down!!

I need to update the project thread!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gsmblue wrote
I had the money and not the time.. i have hunted down so much stuff for this Bronco in the last month i just could bear to tear the column down!!
Oh I get it. I had lots of time because my truck wasn't going anywhere when I took the column apart. By the time I sorted out what parts I needed, sourced them and waited for them to arrive, my steering column was out of service for a solid month.

I think you'll be happy with it when you get it back and installed.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
I know the feeling!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by Rembrant
So the column is installed and looks pretty. It feels good and everything seems to work. It is a world away from the old one. It feels brand new.

If I had more time I would have rebuilt/painted my old one. With that said, they shipped an excellent product to me super quick and provided instructions. This saved me a few days without a doubt. My sole complaint is regarding the tilt lever and shift lever supplied were black not chrome, so those are going back.

Once I have it on the road I will update again. As noted in my project thread I also updated the intermediate shaft for borgeson unit, so this should feel nice and tight as long as the steering box is not shot!

"Eylza Dual-little"