Steering column interchange - ignition wiring differences?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Steering column interchange - ignition wiring differences?

Lima Delta
Last spring I replace my original column with one from a '91 after the casting where the shift lever attaches broke. Swapping the donor column in was no problem, but now I'm wondering if the ignition switch has subtle differences that could be causing some problems?

Frist problem I noticed right after doing the swap is that the ACC position doesn't work. I replaced the donor lock cylinder with the cylinder from my original column and it will rotate back to ACC but there is no power from that key position.

Second possible problem came up yesterday when I was trying to figure out why I'm getting a discharge on the battery when everything is off. I tracked the discharge to the charging system through fusible link "J". When I disconnect the plug at the voltage regulator, the discharge vanishes. When I tested the connections of the EVR plug I was getting power at the "S" terminal, which should only be getting power when the key is in run (which it wasn't). If this terminal is hot all the time, that would explain the phantom discharge. Looking at the EVTM diagrams, it seems like the only way this wire could be hot all the time is through the ignition switch, but I'm at a loss to explain how. Is it possible the switch is wired differently, or maybe it's just faulty?

Lucas
Lucas
"The truck" - 1985 regular cab F250 4x4 - 351W HO, C6
"Beige Beast" (project) - 1981 regular cab F250 4x4 - 300 straight six, T18
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Steering column interchange - ignition wiring differences?

85lebaront2
Administrator
Th columns are essentially the same, the mount to the dash is different, but easily swapped. The ignition switches are different, get the one for your 1985 and install it, check the adjustment when you do.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Steering column interchange - ignition wiring differences?

Lima Delta
Ok, I thought they were all pretty much the same up to '91. I'll probably just put another column I found in there.

Cheers,
LD
Lucas
"The truck" - 1985 regular cab F250 4x4 - 351W HO, C6
"Beige Beast" (project) - 1981 regular cab F250 4x4 - 300 straight six, T18