classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Starting problems

Hound Dog Lew
This is regarding my 1985 E350 460.
When I turn the key, sometimes the engine will turn over. Other times I just get a click. Out of 10 tries, it may turn the starter. Some times sooner, sometimes later.
Should I look at soleniod? Wiring to starter? Starter?
Thanks
1983 F150 Flareside 302 AOD 3.55
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Starting problems

PetesPonies
If you manually jump the two large terminals on the solenoid, you will know if there is a problem with it or it's circuit. Use two large screwdrivers and understand that if you don't make a good contact with the screwdrivers, sparks may fly. Just warning you. I have done this hundreds of times, but want you to be prepared if you have never done this..
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree, but would use a battery jumper cable rather than screwdrivers.  Just use one side, like the red/hot pair of clips.  And, please make sure the truck is in Park if an automatic or in Neutral if a manual transmission, and with the park brake set.  Further, stand to the side when you do it, just in case.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Hound Dog Lew
Thank you both!
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
IMO, more chance of a problem with battery cables. They come off too easily. The two large screwdrivers ,you can control precisely.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

JimsRebel
In reply to this post by Hound Dog Lew
If needed, I would recommend a upgrade to a PMGR starter. This also fixes the problem with poor quality, high failure rates of the stock fender mount starter solenoid.  

https://bzerob2.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/ford-upgrade-to-a-pmgr-starter/

Jim
1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4 300 C6, 9 inch 3:50, 235-15 tires, sway bars and skid plates, DS2 dist with GM 4 pin IGN module and no computer. still using the feedback carb; 3G ALT swap, PMGR starter; 150,000 miles, 2nd owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Or, you can just use the info right here in our backyard: Electrical/PMGR Starter Wiring.   😉

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by JimsRebel
Jim, solenoid problems have only been  when the foreign crap became available everywhere. OEM quality has never been a problem with these solenoids. Buy actual Ford, Standard or Bluestreak.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
All I can say is "buyer beware", you better take a good look at the box, even NAPA, who used to have good quality now sells Chinese relays for Fords. I would rather take a chance on a decent junkyard Ford part than a new Chinese one.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
This used to be true, but not any more. (AMHIK)
After burning through more than 6 relays; Motorcraft, Carquest, NAPA, Ametek, Standard, BWD, Cole Hersee,

I'm running a cheap Chinese PMGR starter from DB Electrical and couldn't be happier.
The Advance store brand relay has no problem with the starter's 40A pull in or 13A to hold.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hound Dog Lew
'Twas the solenoid.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  So, I guess it has been replaced.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hound Dog Lew
Yes sir. AC Delco. Fires right up!
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
THat was easy and cheap. Congrats
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Hound Dog Lew
Hound Dog Lew wrote
Yes sir. AC Delco. Fires right up!
👍