Starter sticking in the flywheel, concern or no?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Starter sticking in the flywheel, concern or no?

jstone4646
Took the truck to work today (it was beyond words to say how overly excited I was for this moment!).  Everything went great, truck handled well on the highway....pure awesomeness.  But then I stopped for gas, and she cranked for a second and I heard a metal on metal 'thunk' and nothing.  Any attempt to crank after that was only clicking.  Found that the starter was stuck in the flywheel, manually rolled it back a tad and it popped free.  Truck ran and started fine the rest of the day.  Should I do anything preventative here or just keep going and see if it happens again?
Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Starter sticking in the flywheel, concern or no?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I would roll the engine over slowly and inspect the teeth on the flywheel.  You may find that there are some bad teeth on it that are causing the starter to stick.

If not, then you may have a bad starter.  However, you should also check the bolts holding it on.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

jstone4646
All good things to check Gary, thanks!  I do know my battery was weak, and I actually bought a new one right after this happened (thinking that was my fix...hoping anyways) and when I took the old battery to auto zone they reported it had dead cells and was holding around 100 cranking amps.....can you confirm if a low (basically dead) battery also cause the starter to get stuck by chance?

I knew the battery was problematic because it was weak the whole time I was working on the truck and getting her running right.  I trickle charged it probably 6 times or more during the course of getting the truck up and running.  Fresh battery now after this morning so I am really hopeful this was just a one time problem....but I do need to check the flywheel just to make sure.  Preventative maintenance is always preferred.
Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A bad battery can cause high current and weld the relay shut.  But yours doesn't appear to have been welded shut.  So I don't think that confirms that the battery was the issue.

On the other hand, if it doesn't come back then you solved it.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI