Starter mishap

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Starter mishap

Dee1986
Did some work tuning my carb after installing a new exhaust. Quite a bit of start and stop of the motor. Got it dialed in and took her out for a test run. Got back to the house and a little more tuning. Turned the key and heard the most violent sound from motor and wouldn't start. Sounded like the crank was trying to rip it's way through the block. Crawled under to find my starter hanging on by one bolt only caught by a couple threads. Other bolt laying on the floor. Tightened them back up and fired up no prob. Guess I'll have to put checking the starter bolts on my regular maintenance schedule. Anyone else ever had this problem, it's a new one to me.
Brian,
1986 f250 xlt lariat 4x4/ 460 4 speed
2016 super duty lifted
1949 Ford custom sedan, orig flathead eight
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Starter mishap

1986F150Six
Administrator
Never had that problem!
Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
I've had a couple of vehicles over the years that would shake starter bolts out. I cleaned the bolts and the threads in the bell housing with brake clean and reinstalled with blue locktite and it seemed to cure the problem.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Being a 460, I've had to Helicoil the lower hole in my Zf's bellhousing. (The top bolt comes from the back into the starter itself)

It stays tight now that I can really crank on it.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dee1986
Definitely gonna keep any eye on it. Not sure yet if the PO just didn't torque them down enough cause it's not original. If they start to loosen again it's time for some hardware upgrade and some locktite.
Brian,
2016 super duty lifted
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
When I went through my "starter woes" eight years ago, I changed the bolt out for a serrated flanged one.
(This is when I had swapped in the Zf, and was going through a starter a month)

Bill and Gary will back me up on this.  

Getting the bell tapped for a Helicoil with the engine in the truck was a challenge, but the new, stronger threads and a PMGR starter saved me from losing my mind.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can neither confirm nor deny that Jim has not lost his mind.  

Seriously though, I do remember the battle.  And the cause was hard to fathom 'cause it seemed the starters and the flywheel(s) were perfectly fine - for a while.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
The problem with reading threads like this is, not I want to go check my starter bolts!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I know right where it is.
Right wherever I left it...  but I forget

Yes, the starters would last for weeks, then I'd blow the snout right off them!  

The bottom bolt has stainless to thread into now
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If it is 3/8", maybe I should do that before installing the starter.  I have plenty of inserts after getting them for the alternator.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
5/16-18 IIRC

But I have SAE thread inserts 8-32 -> 1/2-13, so it's a no brainer for me.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim, 3/8-16 with a 1/2" AF washer head. Darth now has the later style with a 5/16-18 stud on the lower one for the ground cable.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Haven't had the issue (although will add it to my maint schedule also now) but for the top one why not put a longer bolt in with a nut and some blue loctite?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Why not a self locking nut???

For me, because it's a big challenge to hold the bolt from the back while I try to get another wrench on the ridiculously long bolt that I just had to thread a minimum of 1 1/2" through the starter in order to get it tight in the first place.

Changing out the lower bolt worked fine, after I fixed the ruined threads in my bellhousing.

I'm tired of making more work for myself because I fear the slimmest chance that something might go wrong.

Even though there are (or were) millions upon millions of trucks that had no problem.

I'm going to leave that to Gary, because I can't even care about it until it's a bridge I have to cross.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dee1986
So I haven't run my truck much since I had this problem with a loose starter. Took her out today for a quick drive and I think that that starter must have been working its way loose for awhile. Now that its tight it's not  getting along with the ring gear on my flywheel. Starts but teeth are looking a bit chewed up and it's got a slight grind on occasion. Guessing I'll have to get the trans dropped and new ring gear/ starter and might as well replace the rear main seal while it's exposed. Everything was running so smooth till this
Brian,
2016 super duty lifted
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is a bummer when something like this happens.  But the ring gear can be replaced on a flywheel.  Not on the flexplate for an auto, but on a flywheel for a manual tranny.  They just heat the ring gear up, press the old one off and new one on.