Stainless water pump bolts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stainless water pump bolts

Frogger2662
What are your opinions on using stainless water pump/timing cover bolts?
What type of never sieze thred sealant is recomended?
I have access to 18-8 stainless bolts. When i pulled the motor apart several of the factory bolts give me alot of problems.
1984 F150 Flareside
1992 stock 5.0 with edelbrock 4 barrel.
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stainless water pump bolts

85lebaront2
Administrator
18-8 CRES in what condition A or B? Major difference in strength, also problem is mostly a galvanic corrosion issue. Coat new bolts in RTV so water can't get in between them and the aluminum timing cover.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Frogger2662
That i do not no the answer to. Will the markings on the head of the bolt tell me this?
1984 F150 Flareside
1992 stock 5.0 with edelbrock 4 barrel.
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
85lebaront2 wrote
18-8 CRES in what condition A or B? Major difference in strength, also problem is mostly a galvanic corrosion issue. Coat new bolts in RTV so water can't get in between them and the aluminum timing cover.
Do you really want RTV on the threads of the bolt though.  I dont know of anyone but shade tree still using the outdated RTV for sealing bolts.  I like using the ARP thread sealer which should in theory prevent galling of the stainless steel bolts as well as prevent corrosion.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I am primarily recommending it on the bolt shanks so they will not corrode to the aluminum Mr. expert. I spent 30 years working in a DOD contractor's laboratory and one thing I did was test fasteners. I assume your ARP thread sealer will prevent seepage past gaskets, water intrusion from high humidity as the engine cools down and moisture laden air creeps in under the head of the bolt?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
This post was updated on .
85lebaront2 wrote
I am primarily recommending it on the bolt shanks so they will not corrode to the aluminum Mr. expert. I spent 30 years working in a DOD contractor's laboratory and one thing I did was test fasteners. I assume your ARP thread sealer will prevent seepage past gaskets, water intrusion from high humidity as the engine cools down and moisture laden air creeps in under the head of the bolt?
Thats not the same as the automotive field.  The automotive field does things differently and it has nothing to do with being an expert.  No one in the automotive field puts RTV on the shank of bolts to prevent corrosion, and corrosion wouldnt be limited to just stainless steel which is more resistant to corrosion than standard steel fasteners and I dont see them recommending RTV on the shank of plain steel bolts to prevent water intrusion under the head of the bolt.

I also dont believe the corrosion issues ford have with corroding in the timing cover is a result of moisture seeping past the head of the bolt.  Every one I have seen corroded had been leaking coolant past the threads.  Engines Ive pulled the front off of that did not have a coolant leak past the threads were all clean with no corrosion with in the timing cover set.  My '82 wasnt leaking when I had to pull the timing cover off, only leak I had that forced me to pull the cover off was the gasket between cover and block was leaking coolant.  The bolts came out without a bit of corrosion on them.  Ones on my '78 how ever I had corrosion on the bolts when I removed them including on the threads but nothing that resulted in broken bolts.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Frogger2662
I've always used Loctite PST and never had a problem with leaks or seizing the stainless bolts in my water pump.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.