Spicer U-Joint Part Numbers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Spicer U-Joint Part Numbers

Jeff S
I am trying to order all the u-joints I need to replace all of them on the front/rear driveshafts and front axle on my 82 Bronco. Does anybody know the different part numbers for Spicer non-greasable u-joints? I think there are three different ones but I can't find a list anywhere.
82 Bronco w/351w and c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Spicer U-Joint Part Numbers

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let me see what I can dig up.  I think the info is buried in parts lists.....      
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Jeff S
This is old, but it might help:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve, thanks.  It might help - if I could map to what I'm finding to what you show.

The master parts catalog shows several "parts lists" for the D44 front axle.  Jeff's axle is probably a 30.3L, M, or N.  Here's an excerpt from the parts list that includes the "N".  Note that for a u-joint is shows a "kit" and it is part # D3TZ 3249-A.  Thank you very much, Ford, but that part number does not show anywhere else in the catalog but in parts lists.

But, the plot thickens.  Here's their cross-reference from Ford part #'s to industry-standard part #'s.  Note that there are no D3's.  And, they are all "4635", which is a u-joint, not "3249" which is a kit.  So I'm trying to track down what a D3TZ 3249-A includes in the way of u-joints.

And, I'm poking around the Spicer site, but all I'm finding so far is "assemblies" and not the u-joints themselves.  But I think that's going to be the best way to answer the question.

But, if we knew the dimensions.  Wait a cotton-picking minute!  I have the axles from Dad's truck laying on the bench, all powder-coated and shiny.  Let me go take some measurements....  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Bingo!

I really dislike the Spicer website and on-line catalog.  Man, that thing is a pain.  But, if you stay with it you can ultimately get to this page for a 1982 Bronco.  And, to answer the question, a Dana 44 front axle takes 1310WJ u-joints.

So, now how to document this?????

Oh, and if you want to know what the axles should look like:

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Hmmmmm….. purdy!
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I love this site and its people.  'bookmarked for a future project reference.  Thanks.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Reply | Threaded
|

Jeff S
Thanks a ton.  The more I searched the more amazed i became that there was not just a simple list somewhere easy to find from ford or spicer.  I did send a message to Spicer on their facebook page but just received a boilerplate reply with a link to their site.  

82 Bronco w/351w and c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There will be a simple place to go - here.