classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Speed sensor and cruise control

kramttocs
Administrator
Does anyone know what the ppm for the speed sensor is? Specifically the 86 one that is integrated into the cable end although the inline one should also be the same.

Found an online reference that Ford uses 8000 ppm as a standard but didn't see it in the book anywhere.

Also, does it matter?

Does the cruise control care about the ppm value or just ensuring that it remains the same when cruise is enabled?

So can it be 4,8,16, 64 or 128k and not care?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Speed sensor and cruise control

Rembrant
kramttocs wrote
Does anyone know what the ppm for the speed sensor is? Specifically the 86 one that is integrated into the cable end although the inline one should also be the same.
It is 8000 ppm (or, more specifically 8 pulses per revolution). I have one of these speed sensors that I plan to use for an input to an aftermarket cruise control system. I contacted Rostra at the time, and they confirmed that I could use it and that it was indeed 8000 ppm. I'll be installing mine sometime between now and the spring.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks Cory.

Wonder if that's the only value the factory cruise can accept or not.

The followup question is how many devices can a single vss feed?

Normally I wouldn't think it had a practical limit but I read something about a person having issue with 2 devices whereas some gauge manufacturers say it's fine.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
kramttocs wrote
That I can't answer. Since my truck didn't have factory cruise control I had already planned on an aftermarket system, and since all I needed was a speed signal, that is as far as I went with my research.

I know with the aftermarket systems like Rostra that I have experience with, you can simply tap into a VSS wire to get a pulse/signal and it doesn't affect other users of that signal...in my case it was an ECU, but I assume all would be the same.

I have zero experience with any of the Ford CC system outside of that sensor though...

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
At 60 MPH the speedo expects 1000 revolutions/minute of the speedo cable.  So, if the sender gives 8 pulses/revolution you'll be getting 8000 ppm @ 60 MPH.

The cruise control doesn't have a clue what is going on other than the pulses it gets.  But there is a lower limit below which the system won't engage.  I don't remember what the lower limit is, but if that is 30 MPH then you'd at least need to have 4000 ppm for it to engage.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
kramttocs wrote
That I can't answer. Since my truck didn't have factory cruise control I had already planned on an aftermarket system, and since all I needed was a speed signal, that is as far as I went with my research.

I know with the aftermarket systems like Rostra that I have experience with, you can simply tap into a VSS wire to get a pulse/signal and it doesn't affect other users of that signal...in my case it was an ECU, but I assume all would be the same.

I have zero experience with any of the Ford CC system outside of that sensor though...
Cory do you have a system in hand and if so who makes it the model number?
I would like to add it to my truck if not to much $$ and to hard to install.
Thanks
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks guys! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I figure if it can handle 2 devices, it can handle 3.

I was going see about using a 16k sensor but if factory uses 8k I'll stick with that.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 wrote
Thanks
Dave ----
Dave,

I have installed a couple Rostra aftermarket cruise control systems and they have worked very well.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rpc-250-1223/

Even better price on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Ididit-Rostra-250-1223-Universal-Control/dp/B002VI9G6S

The only kicker is that you have to buy the controller separately, but there are several to choose from, including ones that mount right on the turn-signal stalk, the same as the Ford dealer installed CC systems would have been.

Installing them takes some creativity and you'll have to figure out how to get a brake and clutch signal, and you'll have to figure out a way to connect it to the throttle, etc. One of the benefits of this kit is that vacuum is not required...it is all electric.

Anyway, if you go to the Rostra website, there's some good info on there. I will be installing one of these systems in my Bullnose between now and the spring, so I'll try to make some notes on how I get it all to work.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Rembrant wrote
FuzzFace2 wrote
Thanks
Dave ----
Dave,

I have installed a couple Rostra aftermarket cruise control systems and they have worked very well.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rpc-250-1223/

Even better price on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Ididit-Rostra-250-1223-Universal-Control/dp/B002VI9G6S

The only kicker is that you have to buy the controller separately, but there are several to choose from, including ones that mount right on the turn-signal stalk, the same as the Ford dealer installed CC systems would have been.

Installing them takes some creativity and you'll have to figure out how to get a brake and clutch signal, and you'll have to figure out a way to connect it to the throttle, etc. One of the benefits of this kit is that vacuum is not required...it is all electric.

Anyway, if you go to the Rostra website, there's some good info on there. I will be installing one of these systems in my Bullnose between now and the spring, so I'll try to make some notes on how I get it all to work.
Thanks will have to check it out when I have time
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In answer to several of the questions, a single sensor is used on a 1990 F250 with 460, E4OD, ABS and cruise to provide a signal to all of these, EEC, ABS controller and cruise. Ford used the same cruise system as the Bullnose has up through 1992. The electronic module for these is located near the steering column and also adds a horn relay as the cruise system uses the hot and ground for the horn to provide the source for the cruise module.

In 1993, Ford changed the trucks to an all electronic system, but kept the exact same switch, power, ground and resistors in the steering wheel that the vacuum system used. As far as I know the control module for the vacuum system is probably interchangeable from cars to trucks. The electronic one mounts in the same location as the vacuum servo, the only other item it needs is a safety cancel switch on the master cyl. to kill the power to the cable pull clutch. On 1993-97 trucks it is powered through the ignition switch, unlike the 1997/8 and for a while after that had the switch fed directly from the battery leading to the fires.

The vacuum system was built for pretty much any engine Ford used, and there is a dual cancel on these, both the brake light switch and a vacuum vent valve are used, and manual transmission models have a similar system on the clutch pedal to prevent engine runaway if the clutch is depressed while in cruise.

As far as the pulse count for the system, it doesn't care how fast you are going, what gear or tires are there. When the cruise is engaged, it "remembers" the pulse count and simply tries to maintain that count, adjusting the throttle up or down to hold the setting.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413