Speed density to MAF or to FI tech conversion

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Speed density to MAF or to FI tech conversion

JGooch600
Hey everyone. I know I’ve posted about maf conversion, but I was wondering if anyone has ever used the FI tech fuel injection system. Wanting to convert to either MAF or the FI tech and can’t make up my mind on it. The FI tech seems to be a pretty advanced system and you can tune it with a hand held monitor. The reason for converting is so I can run an aggressive cam. Anyone have any experience with the FI tech?
1985 f150 swb 4x4, EFI 302, re-manufactured jasper engine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Speed density to MAF or to FI tech conversion

85lebaront2
Administrator
No FI Tech experience, have a 460 converted from carbureted to MAF/SEFI using all Ford parts. I can tune my EEC-V box with a Mongoose Pro Pass-through cable and Binary Editor. Since you have the early Ford EFI any improvement would help I am sure. I don't know on the FI tech units, but the Ford systems from 1987 up do use a speed sensor input and the trucks got MAF/SEFI systems on the 302 in 1994 so a junkyard could be a excellent source of parts. The EEC-IV system requires a piggyback tuner such as Moates or TwEECer to "adjust" the tune. The EEC-V can be direct flashed, but would require a bit more harness modifications starting with the EEC connector as it went from 60 pins to 104 pins.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by JGooch600
JGooch600 wrote
 Anyone have any experience with the FI tech?

Not with FI Tech, but on FTE, there is a moderator [AbandonedBronco] who has a stand alone FI system made by Holley. You could contact him or read his thread. It is found in the six cylinder forum... his engine is a modified 4.9L.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by JGooch600
I've though about using FI Techs 2 barrel on the 300 straight six, but I hope to turbo it one day, and their 2 barrel in not power adder friendly. Only their 4 barrel is, and it woul dbe way too much intake cfm for the 300 six. Even a 600 Edelbrock is too much. Most people stay in the 400-550cfm range on the 300 until they start doing a lot of aftermarket performance goodies.

Carbs work. They are cheap and simple. When tuned can get within a mile or two per gallon of FI. Proper choke operation is critical, as well as timing and optimizing the jetting. FI does all that for you. If all you are doing is running around town occasionally and not changing elevations drastically, I would run a carb, get it set up right and drive it.

I plan on taking my 82 on some long road trips in a couple years, so FI might be in order. Setup your vehicle how you want, don't let anyone tell you that their way is better than yours. In the long run, it doesn't matter as long as you are happy with it.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Ray Cecil wrote
I've though about using FI Techs 2 barrel on the 300 straight six, but I hope to turbo it one day, and their 2 barrel in not power adder friendly. Only their 4 barrel is, and it woul dbe way too much intake cfm for the 300 six. Even a 600 Edelbrock is too much. Most people stay in the 400-550cfm range on the 300 until they start doing a lot of aftermarket performance goodies.

Carbs work. They are cheap and simple. When tuned can get within a mile or two per gallon of FI. Proper choke operation is critical, as well as timing and optimizing the jetting. FI does all that for you. If all you are doing is running around town occasionally and not changing elevations drastically, I would run a carb, get it set up right and drive it.

I plan on taking my 82 on some long road trips in a couple years, so FI might be in order. Setup your vehicle how you want, don't let anyone tell you that their way is better than yours. In the long run, it doesn't matter as long as you are happy with it.

I agree. I replaced my factory Holley with the Holley 600 CFM, ordered jets for the elevation I’m at and it’s running great, I’m real happy with it.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm following in Bill/85LebaronT2's footsteps and converting Big Blue to '96 CA-spec EEC-V.  Then I'm converting Dad's truck to the same.

One of the reasons is what Ray mentioned - altitude.  I plan to drive Big Blue to some very high locations and don't want to mess with re-jetting the carb.  And, there's the MPG, which has surely got to be better with MAF & SEFI than with a carb.

In addition there's the ability to put a scanner on the OBD-II port and have the computer tell any mechanic what the problem is.  That's a significant benefit when you are 70+ years old and expect to pass the vehicles down to offspring that don't know anything about carbs.

But, I do agree - build it the way YOU want it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI