Spark plugs?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Spark plugs?

BigDav782
I realize this is probably a pretty basic question for this group (and that's probably why I couldn't find the answer myself in searching through the forum), but how do I figure out the right spark plugs to get?  And the right gap to set them to?

Any other recommendations on where to find answers to the easy questions?  

Thanks!
Dave
'85 F150, I6, 4wd, 3 speed automatic
Hopkins, MN (Twin Cities)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Spark plugs?

Steve83
Banned User
Read the VECI label on the core support or air cleaner cover.

Buy a Haynes, and read it cover-to-cover at least once:

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Steve83 wrote
Buy a Haynes, and read it cover-to-cover at least once:

Seeing as how the Haynes manual covers 17 model years, I don't know if reading it cover to cover is necessary.. I bought one of these myself and find it handy for the very basic stuff like fluid types and capacities, etc.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by BigDav782
Since you have a 6 cylinder [me, too!], I will share that I have had excellent results with Motorcraft SP452, which is for the later fuel injected engines.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/platinum-5897/ignition---tune-up-16776/spark-plug-12874/b14eb31b13d7/motorcraft-platinum-spark-plug/sp452/6231885/1995/ford/f-150?q=spark+plug&pos=2

I have a MSD 6AL box and set the gap @ .050".

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
...I don't know if reading it cover to cover is necessary.. I bought one of these myself and find it handy for the very basic stuff...
If you read it cover-to-cover, you'll find it a LOT more-useful.   Not only is there a lot more info in it - you have to read the whole thing to know what's there & where to look for it when you need it later.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigDav782
Thanks all.  Picked up a 80-86 Haynes manual on eBay for less than $10, and ordered the spark plugs online.  It sure was helpful to look at that label in the engine compartment.  

Much appreciated!
'85 F150, I6, 4wd, 3 speed automatic
Hopkins, MN (Twin Cities)
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
BigDav782 wrote
It sure was helpful to look at that label in the engine compartment.
On every truck I buy or work on, I try to document ALL its tags & labels ASAP:

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
The truck was made to run a type of plug at a gap the factory gave it why mess with it?

I have also seen posted of people having issues using the new double this or that plug and it not running right.

Run a gap to large and the ICM has to work harder, read out of factory spec. and shortens its life.
Anyone remember when GM came out with the HEI and the plugs were gapped to 60?
Yep burned up ICM and burned thru rotors as that was the shortest path to ground, think they backed it down to 45 - 50 gap.

You ask what did I use for my 81 300 six? I asked for plugs for an 81 300 six at Auto Zone, don't remember the gap but sure I used what was posted on the radiator label.
Only thing I would maybe change is the heat range up or down as needed from stock.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
FuzzFace2 wrote
Run a gap to large and the ICM has to work harder, read out of factory spec. and shortens its life.
The gap has no effect on the ignition module; it doesn't monitor or respond to gap or spark voltage.  But a ridiculously-wide gap (or broken plug wire) can damage the coil by causing it to spark internally, burning holes in the insulation on the windings.