29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spark plug lead routing 351W

Steve83
Banned User
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Have you tried this with COP, or molded to the coil wires?
I know you're just trying to be argumentative (I'm not sure why), but you're also wrong on several levels...  You clearly think that COP excludes plug wires - it doesn't.  There are COP engines WITH plug wires.  But the answer to your question is NO - all the COP wires I've ever installed were made the exact length.  But yes, the process to fix them IF THEY WERE WRONG would be the same as what's shown in those pics.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
The VAST majority of owners don't even open the hood.
The vast majority of owners don't read this BBS.  The vast majority of readers of THIS THREAD have plug wires that CAN be adjusted easily, and some of them even WANT to do so.  Or at least know how, so they can do so if they ever need to in the future.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
...what you get new (from the OEM!)...
Again - a misconception.  There are no "OEM" parts being discussed in this thread.  Only parts branded as Ford.  But Ford isn't the manufacturer of those replacement wires, and probably NOT of the original-equipment wires, either.  Ford doesn't make parts - Ford makes vehicles.  Ford designs parts, subcontracts their manufacture, assembles them into vehicles, and licenses the Ford name & logos to parts manufacturers whose products meet Ford's criteria.

That's not the same as "OEM".  There might have been 20 "original-equipment manufacturers" for the plug wires in these trucks.  But without a lot of documentation, it's not likely that we could ever identify even one of them, to then find out if they're still manufacturing plug wires, for these trucks or any other vehicles.  Odds are the NEW wires he bought are made in China.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Nope, I'm not trying to be argumentative.

I've replaced plenty of coil on plug and coilpacks with wires moulded in.
I don't see any way to do a good job of modifying their length, or a rational reason to.
This is entirely contradictory to your assertion. "That applies to any brand or size of plug wires, for any vehicle"

I'm trying to direct your attention towards a new section of this forum that is purpose built for people who want to expound on their methodology, techniques and rationale for the things they do to their trucks.
I'm sure you'd have a lot to add to those discussions.

If they didn't know how, they do now.
But the question posed by this thread is "How do I do a neat job of installing my new plug wires"
The answer is proper routing and using wire dividers.
If you're using the wrong wires, then obviously you need to either get the correct ones or modify what you've got.

Motorcraft produces parts for Ford's inventory (as did Autolite before them)
Heck, the Motorcraft numbers are right in Ford's documentation.
Bill pictured a box of FRPP plug wires.
Ford Racing produces parts with the explicit approval of Ford corporate.
If they didn't, they wouldn't have the name, oval, or be available through the nationwide dealer chain.

That these are inferior to, or that different from OEM doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
My FRPP water pump backing plate is close to identical, and fits 'as OEM'
IDK, I held the two up to each other said "yup!", put a gasket on it and proceeded.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I don't see any way to do a good job of modifying their length, or a rational reason to.
Neither do I.  So why did you bring it up?
ArdWrknTrk wrote
This is entirely contradictory to your assertion. "That applies to any brand or size of plug wires, for any vehicle"
Only if you take it out of context, which was "...you can quickly number & cut the wires to length...".  That applies to any brand or size of plug wires, for any vehicle (WITH PLUG WIRES, since that wasn't clear to you the first time).
ArdWrknTrk wrote
But the question posed by this thread is "How do I do a neat job of installing my new plug wires"
The answer is proper routing and using wire dividers.
That's YOUR answer.  Mine is what I posted originally.  Since this BBS is open to many users, you can expect to get many answers to one question.  They won't all be the same, including the same as yours.  But if yours is the only valid answer, you might as well close the forum & make it an e-mail service direct to you.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Motorcraft produces parts...
No, it doesn't.  There is no MotorCraft factory.  It's a licensing company - not a production company.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Ford Racing produces parts...
I don't think so.  I think it's a branding company - not a production company.  But I haven't really looked into it.  The only FRPP part I've ever bought & used was junk, and I scrapped it when it made my car stall.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
...they wouldn't have the name, oval, or be available through the nationwide dealer chain.
Yes, that's what I posted above.  Companies that meet Ford standards can license those trademarks.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
That these are inferior to, or that different from OEM doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
It doesn't have to - GSMBlue said it's what he observed.  The wires in the box he got aren't the OE lengths.  Whether it's sensible or not, he has to deal with that fact, and I've been trying to help him.  You seem to be trying to prevent that.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
...close to identical...
That's not the definition of "OEM" - it's the definition of "direct-replacement", which includes parts from the crappiest chinese sweat shops that the zone can find, made from the crappiest materials, to the highest tolerances.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
...fits 'as OEM'
By that standard, EVERY direct-replacement part is "OEM" to you.  I have a different standard.  For example: the original blower motor in my Bronco was made by Siemens.  So Siemens is an "OEM" in my opinion.  And a Siemens blower motor for my truck would be an "OEM" blower motor in my opinion.  That does NOT mean that it's identical to OE - only that it was made by the OEM (Siemens).  Nor does it mean it's the same quality, has the same durability, or fits the same - only that it was made BY THE SAME MANUFACTURER.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You seem to be really angry tonight Steve.

Are you sure you're okay?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
No, not angry.  But I still don't understand why you made such a big deal out of that little (accurate) statement.  Or why you thought this thread was the place to try forcing your new section of the forum to be used.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Steve,
I prefaced everything I said with "I'm not bickering"....

And I'm not trying to "force" anything, on anyone

Gary initiated the Tips & Tricks sub-folder. (It's origin is clearly documented, and I'm completely up front about that)
It is OUR forum, not 'mine' or anybody else's ('cept Gary, of course)
I was tasked with getting it noticed, not only by you, but all the members, and trying to get it some traction.
It seems a perfect fit for someone as detail oriented and knowledgeable as you.... So I pointed it out.

-go back and read what I wrote, if you feel otherwise let's talk, because it's stupid to argue-
My email link is there any time you  click my username.

Everybody has a bad day occasionally.
But I was far from the only person you seemed to be sniping at last night.
Again, I'm all ears if you choose to have a civil discourse.
And if it is something beyond this forum that has you wound up, I'm here for you. Just drop me a line (or two)

This is the internet. Everybody has their own unique perspective and opinions.
You know what they say about opinions... right?

No hurt, no foul????

ETA: GSMblue said he bought the wrong wire set. (385 series not Windsor)
NOT that the wires don't fit 'as they should', or that they're crappy quality.
Go back and read where I said that (your) 'Steve's technique should serve you well' in this case.

Note "technique". That's what the new section is all about, and why it's relevant in this case
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Bickering after posting "I'm not bickering" is still bickering.   You posted "Really?" and then took a simple accurate statement out of context with an irrelevant point for no apparent reason (even now).  I didn't snipe at you or anyone else - I replied to each of your points with simple facts; just as you could expect after asking me a question (really?) about something I posted.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Edit:
I offered to take this private, twice.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
This is the internet. Everybody has their own unique perspective and opinions.
You seem to think that yours is the only opinion that counts.

I can't (and dont) speak for Cory, Ray, David, or even Gary.
But you are taking your pedantry to a new level

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gentlemen, in my opinion, both of you are valuable members of this/our forum. At one time or another, all family members clash, but must remember that together we are stronger and more productive.

Let's work together for the good of all of us. Thank you and please forgive me if I have overstepped myself.

David