classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Source for HVAC Component Seals/Gaskets

kramttocs
Administrator
James at Detroit Muscle Technologies  has just released a set of seals for the HVAC box on both sides of the firewall.

I have a set on the table in front of me and these things are nice!

Really great to have someone that is willing to make some of these no longer available pieces.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Source for HVAC Component Seals/Gaskets

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  Good news, Scott.  $40 for a kit isn't bad at all.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Agreed- the price is extremely reasonable for all that is included.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That’s great!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Thanks for the link, he also carries the fender well guards I need for my Ranger as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Good find Scott!  

It's pretty cool that they can zip them out to order with a laser, rather than keeping all those dies, and having to swap them out.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
This is an excellent source that deserves to be stickied somewhere. The PO of my truck said the AC did not work and he had it unplugged at the compressor and the belt removed. I have a feeling I will be replacing the lot of it so this will be a purchase I need to make, and until now was sweating.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
It's pretty cool that they can zip them out to order with a laser, rather than keeping all those dies, and having to swap them out.
I find it a really interesting process also. I would enjoy touring his shop for sure!

TheScatch wrote
This is an excellent source that deserves to be stickied somewhere. The PO of my truck said the AC did not work and he had it unplugged at the compressor and the belt removed. I have a feeling I will be replacing the lot of it so this will be a purchase I need to make, and until now was sweating.
Agreed.

And anything else we come across like this, we ought to run it by James to see if he is interested in making it.

These ought to be the most cumbersome of pieces.
Long story short - I reached out to James and we looked at a few hvac pieces on ebay but none of them were complete units.
Rather than spending a significant amount of money on multiple ebay pieces, I pulled all of the pieces from one of my parts trucks to donate to the cause.
The first attempt, after hitting up a Walmart stocker for a large box, ended up being a no go since the shipping cost was outrageous on an oversized box.
Next came the sawzall :)
Ended up cutting the pieces into much smaller pieces that contained the seals and shipped them.

Additionally, I wanted to ensure I didn't use any adhesive that might eat the seals I asked James what he recommended and he said he uses the yellow or black adhesive.
I checked out the local auto parts store and they had two black options. The 'Super' option had a solvent warning so I went with the other - 8011 being the part number.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
there are dash insulators that would proably fall into this catagory, im sure you could find some kind of foam replacement but for example where the piece of trim under your steering column meets the dash there are strips of foam gasket there. Then for the vents I believe there is some as well.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Just an update on this topic.

I've had some problems communicating with James at Detroit Muscle Technologies.  I'd called and left one message, gotten a call back and an assurance that he'd call the next day, an email from him saying he'd check on the availability for me and get back, and then two unanswered emails from me asking where things stand.

So this morning I was about to give up and tell y'all that it is a waste of time.  But I thought I'd give it one more shot and called.  To my amazement James answered.  When I told him why I called he said "They'll be in the mail today - at no cost.  Please tell everyone that I'm not such a bad guy."

Given that, I'm here to say "He's not such a bad guy!"  He's apparently REALLY busy and needs a minder, but he isn't a bad guy.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I believe Scott mentioned this is run on his spare time, so I knew he was probably behind. It took a few days for my order to ship out, but everything came well packaged and in great shape so it was well worth the small wait.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The lady I spoke to, which may be his wife, said he quit his day job and started doing this full time a couple of years ago.  But he told me that the covid virus has really done a number on his business, with more orders than he was prepared to handle.  That's a good thing, but needs to figure out how to deal with it.

Part of the problem is that he is relying on people ordering via the website, but what I want isn't listed since I needed only two of the items in a multi-item kit.  And he isn't staffed to handle one-off requests.

Anyway, he's a good guy.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Probably a couple years ago that I saw mention of it then. Either way, a one-two man operation in the field he operates in is definitely rough. Hopefully he'll find himself in a position to hire more help in the future.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I may have misunderstood the full-time/part-time also.

Glad everything got sorted out. I know one time I was working with him it was during some large convention where he had a booth so was swamped with that stuff. With at most two people, I can imagine it would be easy to drop the ball every now and then.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
The lady I spoke to, which may be his wife, said he quit his day job and started doing this full time a couple of years ago.  But he told me that the covid virus has really done a number on his business, with more orders than he was prepared to handle.  That's a good thing, but needs to figure out how to deal with it.

Part of the problem is that he is relying on people ordering via the website, but what I want isn't listed since I needed only two of the items in a multi-item kit.  And he isn't staffed to handle one-off requests.

Anyway, he's a good guy.  
Yes he is.
When I dealt with him on my AMC HVAC kit many years ago I knew he did this part time I did not know he went full time.

I can also see where this virus just flooded him with orders because guys & girls are stuck home so why not rip in to the HVAC or what ever else he does gaskets for.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Update: James said on June 30th he was shipping the gaskets out "that day".  Today is two weeks later and I didn't have them so called and wound up talking to James.  He had pulled them, realized they are the two expensive gaskets from the $40 kit, and ...... hadn't shipped them.

But today he said he would.  I offered, almost begged, to pay but he refused.  So I ordered a full set for Dad's truck and the whole thing is to be shipped out today.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
It is good when people try to work together and do the right thing!