classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sons truck project.

Redneckedness
This post was updated on .
Figured I’d show y’all the latest on my sons project F250. It certainly has been a learning experience. Thanks to Gary and everyone who have given me advise. Ive gotten this far.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sons truck project.

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm interested to see how it's coming along!  

What kind of headers do you have on there?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
Hahaha, i thought i did. I probably screwed up. 🤗 Thats funny  just like me. Any advise would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 13, 2020, at 6:33 PM, ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <ml+s12971n50808h14@n8.nabble.com> wrote:
>
>  I'm interested to see how it's coming along!  
>
> Do you need some help posting pictures?
>  Jim,
> Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with an Edelbrock 1826 and Performer intake.
> Too much other stuff to mention.
>
>
> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
> http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Sons-truck-project-tp50806p50808.html
> To unsubscribe from Sons truck project., click here.
> NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Theyre L&L headers I got from Gary. They were a bear to get in but we did it. Had to take the transmission off to get them in. They fit nice. Cant wait to hear them.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Your pictures weren't showing up when I first looked at this thread.

So those are BB's headers?
Are you going to run a PMGR starter?
I forget how Gary said they clear the front driveshaft, but I suppose they did with the lift in Big Blue.
Are you going to be running the AIR pumps?

Must feel like quite an accomplishment to have the engine back in!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
Were using the original starter for now but weve removed all the smog equipment. We dont have the driveshafts in yet but it looks like theres plenty of room for everything. Theres not a lot of info out there on these trucks compared to other vehicles, but weve managed. Im not good with computers/smart phones which probably has hindered me a little. Feels great to get this far.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looking good!

But, you have me worried.  I don't yet have the new/replacement headers but already have the tranny in.  Perhaps I'd better get onto that ASAP.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
The drivers side header got wedged between the crossmember and the firewall and the top of the motor was hitting the top of the firewall/trans tunnel. Had to go in at to steep an angle to leave the trans on. Was tight with the trans off too. Its a big motor. Scratched a little paint. 😡 If i was to do it again i would probably lift the cab a few inches first. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 14, 2020, at 7:28 AM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Looking good!

But, you have me worried.  I don't yet have the new/replacement headers but already have the tranny in.  Perhaps I'd better get onto that ASAP.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Sons-truck-project-tp50806p50836.html
To unsubscribe from Sons truck project., click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Redneckedness
You might consider a heat shield of sorts for the starter and cable.

A tomato or pineapple juice can, opened up on the side is shiny and very low mass.

Heat reflective loom or sheaths with ceramic weave inside can slip over the cable.

Both are cheap options.
Though a PMGR starter for a manual 460 was under $60 outright from DB last time I checked.

I think you're doing Great!  👍
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
How would you put the can on?

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 14, 2020, at 8:30 AM, ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

You might consider a heat shield of sorts for the starter and cable.

A tomato or pineapple juice can, opened up on the side is shiny and very low mass.

Heat reflective loom or sheaths with ceramic weave inside can slip over the cable.

Both are cheap options.
Though a PMGR starter for a manual 460 was under $60 outright from DB last time I checked.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with an Edelbrock 1826 and Performer intake.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Sons-truck-project-tp50806p50841.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've always used tin snips to make a tab that can be held by the bottom bolt that goes in from the front.

I cut a few more tabs and bend them in towards the starter to keep pressure on and prevent it from rattling.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Redneckedness
I'll take lifting the cab into consideration.  It really isn't too difficult, especially with the lift.  I can drop the truck onto the tires, pull the 4 bolts, use the lift to raise the cab a bit, and block it up with 2x4's.  Then pick the truck up again to put the truck back up in the air on the lift.

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary,
Your engine is already in.

He was putting the engine in with the headers on, if the pictures tell anything.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Gary,

He was putting the engine in with the headers on, if the pictures tell anything.
Oh, I missed that.  Thanks.

Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Yeah, we couldnt get the headers on while the motor was in. Maybe theres a trick i dont know about. We had to take the motor out twice before we finally got it done. Wow, putting a trans in from under the truck isnt easy! Let alone the transfer case. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 14, 2020, at 8:40 AM, ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Gary,

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with an Edelbrock 1826 and Performer intake.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Sons-truck-project-tp50806p50847.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
In Gary's case with Big Blue, lifting the cab may still be a good option for installing the headers since he has a lift. Without a lift, then you're left with pulling the engine unless like was said "Maybe there's a trick i don't know about."
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
My son suggested that if we couldnt get the motor in with both headers on then maybe put it in with the passenger side header on then put the drivers side on after the motor is in. Didnt try it but the logic seemed sound. Plz let me know what you do. I may have to do it again in the future. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 14, 2020, at 12:55 PM, Frank Wyatt [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

In Gary's case with Big Blue, lifting the cab may still be a good option for installing the headers since he has a lift. Without a lift, then you're left with pulling the engine unless like was said "Maybe there's a trick i don't know about."
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
all emissions intact except thermactor pump and cat
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Sons-truck-project-tp50806p50882.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I'll let everyone know what I do.  But don't hold your breath as the headers won't be here for a month.  

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Don't think this will work for you guys with the motor in place but maybe do as some do on cars with headers.

You lay the headers in place in the engine bay held out of the way with bungees then drop the motor in.
Being held with bungees they can be moved as needed to clear the motor as it is going in.
Once the motor is in place you just undo the bungees and flip up the header to the head.

On my drag car I did it this way when I replaced the motor and worked great. The first time was a bear with no lift from under the car.
They were super comp 1-7/8" big tube not the little 1-3/4" that you can get every where.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
What do yall think about those shorty headers? Are they any good?

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 15, 2020, at 6:53 AM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ok, I'll let everyone know what I do.  But don't hold your breath as the headers won't be here for a month.  

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Sons-truck-project-tp50806p50928.html
NAML