Sons 84 F250 4x4 manual trans with 460.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sons 84 F250 4x4 manual trans with 460.

Redneckedness
My 15 yr old son recently bought an F250 with the hopes of getting it running when he starts to drive.
The truck had a blown head gasket so the first thing we did was pick up a salvage yard 460. We weren't sure what we were going to get but fortunately the motor was in excellent condition. We replaced the timing chain and gears and are in the process of replacing all the gaskets and painting some parts.      
The hardest part of it all so far is that i haven't done anything like this since high school and not on a Ford with smog equipment. Fortunately Ive been using you tube, and the Bullnose forum. Thank God for the both. We’re putting the motor in stock Except for an Edelbrock performer and headers. We also deleted the smog equipment.  So far all has gone as expected.
Its amazing what people will do to a vehicle, especially when they either don’t know or don’t care about what they’re doing. We’ve got a lot to fix but we’ll get it done.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sons 84 F250 4x4 manual trans with 460.

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looking good!  That will be a good father-son project.  

By the way, if you are using the original distributor and you've eliminated the EGR then you should modify the vacuum advance.  That's because with inert gas in the mix, which is done during high vacuum situations, the burn time is quite long.  So they had to add a lot of advance via the vacuum advance.  But w/o the EGR you'll probably have too much advance at part throttle and have pinging if not detonation.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
I picked up the Crane vacuum advance kit. You all have helped a lot already. Its great to have so much info at hand. I have no doubt we’ll be able to get this truck running soon. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 7, 2019, at 6:25 PM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Looking good!  That will be a good father-son project.  

By the way, if you are using the original distributor and you've eliminated the EGR then you should modify the vacuum advance.  That's because with inert gas in the mix, which is done during high vacuum situations, the burn time is quite long.  So they had to add a lot of advance via the vacuum advance.  But w/o the EGR you'll probably have too much advance at part throttle and have pinging if not detonation.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Sons-84-F250-4x4-manual-trans-with-460-tp43025p43026.html
To unsubscribe from Sons 84 F250 4x4 manual trans with 460., click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I might add to Gary's seasoned advice that if you choose to limit *centrifugal* advance you can either weld up a slot and file to width or bush the stop pin with brass tubing available from the hobby store.

The Crane adjustable advance instructions and the two RHP distributor recurve pages that Cory just linked to are a huge help for beginners.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.