So, there was a factory dual snorkle air cleaner for trucks with 5.8L H.O.???

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
76 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

So, there was a factory dual snorkle air cleaner for trucks with 5.8L H.O.???

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: So, there was a factory dual snorkle air cleaner for trucks with 5.8L H.O.???

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting!  I sent the seller this message:

New message to: teamshelley2016
I'm sort of an historian for the 1980 - 86 Ford trucks. In fact, I have a website about them: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com.

I've never seen a dual-snorkel air cleaner on them so am intrigued. Are there any part numbers on the base or the snorkels? If you don't know where to look I can look at mine to see if I can find where the #'s are.

Thanks in advance,
Gary
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: So, there was a factory dual snorkle air cleaner for trucks with 5.8L H.O.???

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six

Absolutely, what was it, 1985?

On 3/28/2018 4:13 PM, 1986F150Six [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980s-FORD-Truck-OEM-5-8-4V-HO-Dual-Snorkel-Air-Cleaner/282901266702?hash=item41de3ac10e:g:8iUAAOSwZrJakf9D&vxp=mtr

Notice how far apart the snorkels are.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/So-there-was-a-factory-dual-snorkle-air-cleaner-for-trucks-with-5-8L-H-O-tp8962.html
To start a new topic under eBay & Craigslist Finds, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from eBay & Craigslist Finds, click here.
NAML

-- 
        Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance  
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As shown on Fuel Systems/Air Cleaner Housing #'s there were three housings for the 351-4/B:

1984-87 E4TZ 9600-P

1985-86 E5TZ 9600-E

1985-86 E5TZ 9600-H with was replaced by E7TZ 9600-J

So if one of those was a dual-snorkel then it was either for the 1984 - 87 range or the 1985 - 86 range.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I had an acquaintance that had an '85 Bronco, with the 351HO . .he had that air cleaner.  
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The guy that has that one for sale emailed me that he will be happy to check for part numbers, but can't until Tuesday.  Meanwhile I'm going to look mine over and find out where the numbers are, if they are there, and let him know to make his hunt easier.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
If it never really came on the trucks, I wonder if it was the air cleaner the '85 Police Interceptors used? They were available with a 351W I believe.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The guy said he doesn't know the source, but he had it on his truck.  I hope we find out.  I've never seen one on these trucks, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one.

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
That is nothing but a stock 1983-1984 Ford MUSTANG 5.0L H.O. air cleaner base with a 5.8L H.O. lid. (The 1985 air cleaner did not have the hole or the purple sensor and the snorkel vacuum motors where slightly different.)  And the snorkels aren't any more far apart than stock; it just looks that way because the snorkels are not attached.

The 5.8L H.O. never did have the dual snorkel air cleaner, and neither did the 460.  
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
The dual snorkel was used '82-'85. '82 was slightly smaller, '83-'85 was the same. I still think there's a chance it was a Police Interceptor which did use a 351W in '85.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
Well, just not from the factory - right, Rick?  

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
The 1983 - 1985 Mustang air cleaners are *not* the same.

The 1983 version had a black band sticker around the air cleaner lid with "5.0 Liter 4V H.O." cut out off it, and the air cleaner base has three holes punched in for the PCV filter and a green and purple sensor.  The vacuum motors on the snorkels are made of metal.

The 1984 version eliminated the black band, and changed the "5.0 Liter 4V H.O." sticker on the lid to simple black lettering.  The air cleaner base was the same as 1983.

The 1985 version had the same air cleaner lid as 1984, but the air cleaner base has only two holes punched in - one for the PCV filter and one for the green sensor.  The vacuum motors are made of plastic instead of metal, and the prongs that go around the carburetor air horn are shaped slightly different.  

*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
First of all, I know my Fox Mustangs. They are the same, in the housing. I'm not talking about the decal. I'm talking about the metal housing, it is the same.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies

Not dual snorkel, but there is the top. 1984 Bronco.

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
I know Fox Mustangs too, Chief.  And in this case, apparently more than you.  

The 1983 and 1984 Mustang GT dual snorkel bases (metal housings) are the same; the 1985 base is different for the reasons I stated above.

(On a personal note, I used the 1983/1984 style base on Lucille and it fit perfectly. The front locator prongs on the 1985 base is slightly closer together and flatter, and it wouldn't allow a good fit on my Autolite 4100.)

And, the 1984-1987 5.8L 4V H.O. base is different still, and not just because of the lack of the second snorkel. The PCV valve filter provision is on the opposite end of the Mustang bases.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
All I know is what I read in the catalog:

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
Not your Chief Bucko. The housings are the same, the same form created all the 83-85. I'm not concerned with  trivial adornments. That is a lesser manufacturing sequence. The housings are molded the same. I have no idea who or what you are talking about in reference to the snorkel distance, certainly not me. So there....
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
Did you not see what Gary posted?  

- For 1982 only, Ford used a 2-barrel carburetor on the Mustang GT.

The 1982 GT air cleaner has a smaller diameter and will only fit a 2-barrel carburetor.  The opening is too small to fit a 4-barrel carburetor.

- From 1983 - 1985, Ford used a 4-barrel carburetor on the Mustang GT with a M/T (manual transmission).

Therefore, the 1983 and 1984 air cleaners have a larger diameter and have a larger opening than the 1982 air cleaner in order to fit a 4-barrel carburetor.  

The 1985 air cleaner is different than the 1983 and 1984 air cleaner for the reasons I stated above:  There is one less hole punched in the base, the locator prongs are slightly different, and the vacuum motors are made of plastic instead of metal.

- From 1984 - 1985, Ford used CFI (throttle body EFI) on the Mustang GT when the AOD A/T (automatic transmission) was introduced.

Although the diameter is the same as the 1983 - 1985 for cars with M/T, The 1984 and 1985 air cleaners  for cars with A/T are different because the opening is larger and the locator prongs are in different locations to fit over the larger throttle body.

Therefore, the air cleaner bases are *not* the same.  If you tried to fit an air cleaner from a Mustang with CFI onto a carburetor, it would be too loose.  And if you tried to fit an air cleaner from a Mustang with a carburetor onto a throttle body, it would be too tight.  

It's not "trivial adornments" if it won't fit!

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
This is the first time an EFI version has been mentioned. Therefore, nothing I posted, which is 100% correct, pertains to EFI. Now saying a, 82 version doesn't fit a 4V carb is just idiotic. Where do you get these ideas? Sleep or dreams? The Ford 2V carburetor, 2100 and 2150s have ALWAYS had the same air cleaner mounting as the 4V Ford and Holleys . . ALWAYS !!! I guess you don't want to see my '82 GT with a 650Holley DP with the '82 dual snorkel on it???  I guess not . . .  LOL
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
I beg to differ.  You said:  

The dual snorkel was used '82-'85. '82 was slightly smaller, '83-'85 was the same.

First of all, I know my Fox Mustangs. They are the same, in the housing. I'm not talking about the decal. I'm talking about the metal housing, it is the same.

I think we both know they are not the same.  And thanks to the part numbers Gary posted, everyone else knows it, too.

If someone wanted a dual snorkel air cleaner for their carbureted car or truck, and took what you said above as "100% correct", they would be in for an unpleasant surprise if they happened to purchase a 1984 or 1985 dual snorkel air cleaner that was intended for a Mustang with EFI.

At first glance, the EFI dual snorkel air cleaner looks exactly like the 4V version - and they are usually cheaper.  I have seen plenty of 1983 - 1985 dual snorkel air cleaners on Ebay with the callout sticker removed from the lid, or a swapped lid - like the one that started this whole thread.  The only way to tell if it is for a 4V or EFI application, is to look at the metal housing.

If they were the same, the part numbers would be the same.  That is what this site is all about, isn't it?

The 1982 dual snorkel air cleaner will not fit a 4V carburetor without modification.  So let's stop with the nonsense.