So how many of you have dug into your . . .

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
44 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

So how many of you have dug into your . . .

PetesPonies
bench seats? They're not built real well. I opened up my '82 seat today for the new upholstery I will be installing. They certainly are not heavy duty. The back frame is really weak. It has no interlocking springs or pieces. It has only vertical supports, not tied to each other and flimsy enough that I had three broken spots. I welded them back together, no issue there. But going forward, I  think I might like to add some strength. I don't know how typical this is and why I posted this. I know I haven't seen this on earlier trucks to which I am much more experienced. Who knows, maybe a previous owner was 300 lbs . I don' know. But maybe this is more typical. Anyone have a less than firm upper seat ? This may be your problem.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: So how many of you have dug into your . . .

Pebcak

About a week ago my wife and I took the AutoZone seat cover off and we decided that we're going to reupholster it because of the faded cover and broken down drivers seat.

I can't say that it's broken metal or all the foam for sure. But I've felt like I'm sitting on a bar on the bottom and all there is for back support is a bar going across my shoulder blades.

Please keep updates coming in and some pictures of any "lessons learned" during your adventure.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I'll take a picture tomorrow of what I'm talking about. I would like to add some webbing to help support the foam.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
I encountered the same on my 82 while I was re-covering last month.  The foam was in decent shape except on the driver's side, where there many of the support wires missing, & the foam had been cut by what was left.

In inspecting other seats at the P&P yard, I saw almost all were in similar condition under the driver's side of the bench for the "wire" support style. However, other seats had the "z=style" support springs, and they fared better.

I welded the wires back into place, them picked up some thicker steel rod stock and placed them at a 3 inch spacing interval before I set a layer of plastic sheeting between the wire springs and the foam to give it more support before replacing the cover.  I sat a little higher when it was all done

The other surprise was having a bunch of hog rings and no holes to thread them through.  My OEM cover was all J-channel-secured along the edges of the frame.

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Wires? I have about 9 ( need to count ) vertical sheetmetal supports, about an inch wide.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Ah, I didn't read for comprehension.  You mentioned the back support. I got all excited & jumped in with a bunch of pontificating on the bottom of the seat.

I'll go back to unraveling the mess of the trailer wiring I just found.

Nothing to see here.. Move along...
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I haven't opened the bottom yet, that complaining will probably start next  :)
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Dyn Blin
Dyn Blin wrote
Ah, I didn't read for comprehension.  You mentioned the back support. I got all excited & jumped in with a bunch of pontificating on the bottom of the seat.

I'll go back to unraveling the mess of the trailer wiring I just found.

Nothing to see here.. Move along...

Made me laugh!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
The upholstery I bought looks nice, BUT . .isn't like the original in the way it attaches. The original has listing at the top, with wire and on the sides and bottom it has a plastic piece secures the material. This is the way most seats have been for many years now. I didn't expect it on this truck, but its there. Problem is, the new upholstery didn't have it on the sides and bottom. It basically had nothing. At least, I couldn't figure what it had for attachment. This is for the seat back. The seat bottom new upholstery does have plastic pieces to secure, but I haven't started on it yet. So why not the seat back? Good question. So I was able to secure the top with hog rings through the listing and listing wire as normal. The bottom I secured with hog rings, but no listing and no wire. There was a piece of plastic which was sewn to the upholstery and I used that to put the hog rings through. The sides? I had crap to work with. The three holes in my wall attest to that. Instead of using hog rings, I used zip ties.
 The frame, I added some elastic webbing, then a 1" piece of foam, followed by the factory foam. I have one wrinkle I'm not happy with, but I'l give it some heat tomorrow and see.

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Wrinkles can usually be worked out with a heat gun.

When I reupolstered my seat last year I used the cardboard from the box my rear slider came in to keep the foam up out of the springs.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pete - What brand of upholstery are you using?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
They are manufactured by Seatz Manufacturing . . . in Disneyland. I spoke with them about a few things . . most not pertaining to this order. They don't sell to the public, so I ordered them through Raybuck.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
That's  a great tip, Pete- Seatz does sell retail dash covers for our generation rides.

The price is right to try one out, I'm putting an order in this evening...
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Pete.  But, given what you've learned would you order their stuff again?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
Is there a problem with the LMC Truck replacement that you can get?  That's the route I was going to go.  

Exquiring minds want to know.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
To me, the LMC stuff ( which I believe is Seatz as well, but maybe I'm mixing things up, there's another big manufacturer in Disneyland as well. I bought my front buckets for my Bronco from them ) is too plain. I wanted a two tone as in my pic. And I wanted vinyl and tweed. I have a note into Seatz to call me. I'm looking forward to see what they have to say about the attachment.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Pebcak
I used the LMC upholstery  on my truck about a year ago.

Actually, I used the bullnose kit on my '87 because I didn't like the '87 up kit.
I like the vinyl because I am dirty and it is easy to clean.

Fit was good. Though I had to add a piece of aluminum extrusion due to the difference between years.

The only thing that has failed it the welt (or piping), where I slide in and out all the time.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Good news, I found my build sheet!!!!!!! There's bad news too  :(

And, does anyone have one of the seat belt grommets that goes through the bottom of the seat? I apparently have only one. Color doesn't matter.

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's exactly the shape Dad's build sheet is in.  

Don't think I have any extra of the grommets, but will look.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Anyone?? Don't want to finish the set and install until I get one of these.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco