Skyco Ospho for Bullnose frame. Any thoughts?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Skyco Ospho for Bullnose frame. Any thoughts?

Rembrant
Gentlemen,

Anybody familiar with this product?

http://www.ospho.com/

I'm at the stage where I need to start ordering stuff to sand/clean/paint my frame. I'm going to be removing the bed in the next week or so, and then I'll be starting to clean the old undercoating and rust off the frame. Anyway, just curious if anybody has used this product, and what your thoughts were on it?

I'm wanting to paint over it, so if this stuff is not recommended, what would you recommend?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Skyco Ospho for Bullnose frame. Any thoughts?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I haven't used this brand, but I have used a similar product.  It worked well, but the metal had to be clean before using it.

I can't really recommend it as I don't know what other options there are.  I have used POR15 extensively and find that it works, but since you need to topcoat it w/i a certain timeframe or you have to sand it to get the topcoat to adhere, that that can be difficult.  Some have recommended Silver Bullet and others Rust Oleum's Rusty Metal primer.  So I'll hide and watch to see what the recommendations are.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Yes, we tested it at work. It does quite well on steel, we also had a product to test of a similar nature, called "rust dissolving primer" it would absorb moisture from the air and end up a whitish surface you could paint right over. Ospho is just a phosphoric acid solution, I have a gallon of homemade from a friendly chemical engineer.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
OK, well I ordered a gallon of this stuff and it should be here next week. I'll report back with any comments good or bad when I get around to using it.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Again late to the party
Here is a link to a post I did on what I use to fight rust. Depending how I feel and what out come I am looking for I pick what I think is best.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1488148-86-front-fender-small-hole-rust-repair.html
What you posted I think is like the Oxy-Gone I posted in the link and a not so good link below as it is for a 5gal pail but shows 1 gal jug.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxy-Gone-Rust-Remover-Brand-New-5-gallon-pail-/251591511073?nma=true&si=71G1q8d0TeZoGsRrfUUEzOjv%252FeI%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
I used the oxy-gone on my flare as there was rust with deep pitting under body filler that was lifting because of the rust.
Once the filler was off using the 7" disc I sprayed on the oxy-gone and let it sit for a day or 2 then rinsed with water & sponge. I did the roof, side bed panels and even inside the doors at the folded skin to frame to treat any rust that was there.

I also used it on the frame before I painted it. You can see it turned white in some areas.

A few days later with help from rain I used a water hose to rinse it off before painting.

On 1 the fuel tanks that had surface rust I used the Eastwood brush on encapsulator, the other I used the same black paint I used on the frame.

I have only primed over the oxy-gone and had no issues so far and don't see why I would.
I have also painted (car paint with spray gun) over the brush on encapsulator also with no issues.

I have used the Eastwood frame coating on a 1 year only hood between skin & frame to keep it from rusting away as that hood does. I did prime the hood and had no issues and don't think when it was painted they had any either.
This frame coating would be good between the roof panels and the A pillars to keep them from rusting inside out.
Hope that helps if not you maybe some one else.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
OK, well I ordered a gallon of this stuff and it should be here next week. I'll report back with any comments good or bad when I get around to using it.
Reporting back here as I said I would, I've so far been really happy with the Ospho product.

Now I'm wondering if this stuff causes any issues with welding?...

I guess the worst case scenario is that one would have to grind it away like you would do with rust or paint...

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hadn't thought about welding.  Give it a try?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Rembrant wrote
Rembrant wrote
Reporting back here as I said I would, I've so far been really happy with the Ospho product.

Now I'm wondering if this stuff causes any issues with welding?...

I guess the worst case scenario is that one would have to grind it away like you would do with rust or paint...
All my welding was before treating with the Ospho acid.
I don't think the welds will be good as the acid would keep the welds from being good.
They make weld thru primer and even that can sometimes be a issue to weld thru.

Where the welding needed to be done I hit with a flap wheel or grinder wheel to get to good metal.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100