12345 ... 12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sky's Offroad Design Super Duty RSK Install

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
So, what is different about your frame?
It's just a flat rail, and none of the holes match those on a 4x4 frame. There's no spring hanger for the frame box to weld to, so I would end up with a gaping hole to fill, in order to fully box the inner frame box. That's what has had me on the fence about this kit the entire time.

I'm not bailing on Sky, I don't have time or the skills to build out my own RSK, but I might bail on this kit for the "universal" crossmember since it will save me time and it essentially does the same thing. The appeal for this kit was that it was 100% bolt on, but if I have to weld in a patch to the frame box to make it work for my application, then why not just weld up the F150/Bronco crossmember to the frame?

I may be able to adapt the 92-96 frame box kit to work in my application, so that I could bolt up the 92-96 RSK. But if that won't work, then my only option is the "universal" crossmember.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Shaun - I would think that the only thing Sky would have to do would be to give you a different frame box for frames w/o the front shackles.  And, the dimensions for where to drill the holes, both for the front bolts as well as the rear hanger for the springs - assuming the rear holes don't already exist.

I'd think they'd want to develop that box to be able to sell a kit to those of you with 2wd frames.  I know that Vincent Wayne Thomason is doing the same thing and is asking me for the dimensions.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
They already have 2wd frame boxes for the 92-96 trucks that *might* work for the older trucks too, but I would have to measure my truck to see. But the R&D it would take for them to make a kit for these trucks is gonna create a timeline that puts me way past when I want this thing on all four wheels. I'm not willing to wait months for a bolt-on kit when I could just weld on the Bronco/F150 crossmember.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pretty sure they are using the same frame box for all of the 4wd trucks from 85 to well into the 90's.  So if they have a 2wd frame box for the 92-96 trucks it should work fine.  But that is something that you'd have to ask Erik: 541-736-3743 and then press 3.  

And I think he'll ship me a new crossmember early next week to solve the problem with the 55 1/2".

By the way, does your frame have holes for the rear spring hanger?  Did I ask and forget?  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
There are no holes for the rear spring hanger. The radius arm bracket holes don't even line up. Everything is different between the F250 and F350 4x2 and 4x4 frames up front.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting.  I'll be anxious to see how you do this.

Today I'll be measuring where the holes are for a guy on FB, and posting the info here.  He thinks he needs it in order to place the rear shackle for his kit he's already ordered from Sky.  But, as his is also a 2wd it may get interesting.  Sure wish he was on here to document what he finds and does.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, here are my measurements for the holes on the rear spring hanger, all referenced from the front cab mount rivets.  But, note that these are NOT precise, regardless of how precise they look.  

Having said that, I don't think the measurements are critical.  I say that because if you are installing a Sky RSK then you can lay out the holes to drill using it as a template.

However, note that the measurements in yellow are for the factory 4wd rear spring eye bolt, and will be different on Sky's RSK.  I'll try to remember to get those measurements and include them here just for completeness once I get the rear brackets installed.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
After measuring my truck, it looks like the bottom of the frame will cause issues with the 92-96 frame box kit.

I think I'm just going to go with the Bronco/F150 crossmember since it will only require measuring and welding plus drilling 8 holes versus having to drill 16. Plus I know for 100% certainty it will work in my application.

Thank you for the rear hanger measurements, they will help locate the bracket once I order the kit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok Shaun, makes sense.

As said, I've been discussing this with Vincent Wayne Thomason on the Bullnose Fords 80-86 FB page.  He's the one that ordered the kit on Thursday.  Here's his recent post:

I have a 1986 2wd F350. I'll box in whatever I have to I didn't expect it to be direct bolt in for my application. I have all the tools necessary to cut and weld it as I see fit to get it boxed appropriately. Also I finally looked at my truck and I'm pretty sure mine does not have all the holes needed for the rear hangers, but does have the holes directly underneath the body mount. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
I'll make an account on the forum so that I can do the write up for any 2wd folks wanting to tackle this as well. I also plan to video what I can and upload to YouTube.
I'll post pictures of what I've got on my frame in a few minutes

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh, I almost forgot.  After taking the measurements posted above I was going to take the passenger's side rear spring mount off so at least I'd get something done.  But, after looking it over I realized it's going to be a bear to get to them with a cutoff wheel.

So I thought I'd use Steve/FoxFord33's recommendation to use an air chisel.  But then I realized I don't have a chisel to go in my air hammer and took a trip to Tractor Supply and got these.  Hopefully they'll make what looks to be a tough job lots easier.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Gary Lewis wrote
Oh, I almost forgot.  After taking the measurements posted above I was going to take the passenger's side rear spring mount off so at least I'd get something done.  But, after looking it over I realized it's going to be a bear to get to them with a cutoff wheel.

So I thought I'd use Steve/FoxFord33's recommendation to use an air chisel.  But then I realized I don't have a chisel to go in my air hammer and took a trip to Tractor Supply and got these.  Hopefully they'll make what looks to be a tough job lots easier.

Florida Man Jr.?
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hey!

Come on by with that thing when I get 'round to my spring shackles and beam pivots.  

I can see that set coming in mighty handy peeling the bushing cups out of my cross member.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, I hope I can cut the heads off rivets nicely now.  

But, I do want to do the least damage possible on the brackets - someone might need them.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Bushing cups?  Crossmember?

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
Anyone hesitating to buy this kit or getting scared off, don't run away now! I just bought this kit this past Thursday as well to convert my 2wd 1986 F350 to 4wd. I know that is not it's original intentions, but it is a far superior option than making your own. Unless you're an engineer or at least have the mindset of one AND have your own CAD system paired to a plasma table, along with many other factors; this is the way to go.

Some modifications may be needed, but this is worth every penny; especially if you factor is what your time is worth to design your own kit.

Once I get my kit and start on it I will start my own thread on what to do to use this kit on a 2wd, until then and after I'll be here.
The Polar Bear - 1986 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually. Starting life as a 2wd 6.9 C6 truck. Now has Cummins P-pump that is slightly turned up. Running ZF-5 transmission with BW4407 transfer case. Converting to 4wd with some help from a SKY RSK kit with SD springs on top of a 1996 Dana 60. Also using the SKY kit to convert the rear to 2008 springs. More to come.

Clifford - 1993 F250 7.3 IDI ATS 088 turbo with a ZF-5 behind it and 4.10 gears. Lifted along with solid axle D60 swap. Running Baja military 37s
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Bushing cups?  Crossmember?
I -unfortunately- DO have a D44.    πŸ˜ž

Now that the final piece of my front suspension puzzle is in place, I need to get those pivot bushings out & back in.
I also need to pull and replace the sleeved rubber bushings in either end of the leaves.

So shop air, for an air chisel, and some nice new bits would be nice!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by VWThomason
VW - Welcome!  Glad you joined us.  

But not that many are following this thread, but they do follow the New Members postings, so how 'bout going there and introducing yourself?

Jim - I thought that's what you were implying.  But in my experience replacing those bushings isn't that hard of a job.  But the bushings in the springs can be - at least that's what I've read recently.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Erik @ Sky answered "Good morning, Gary."  He'd already read the latest post from Friday, and said he's going to have the flanges redesigned and a new one made and shipped to me.  That'll take about 3 weeks before I get it.

In the meantime I'm taking the rivets out for the rear brackets.  Then I'll get the Sky bracket ready to go on.

And I'll also order in the u-joints, wheel bearings, seals, etc so I can have the D60 ready when the springs are in.  There's a remote chance I'll have the suspension under the front of it so I can roll it out on the 20th and get Dad's truck on the trailer to take to the show.  If not, there's always next year.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, after talking to Erik I got to work with the air chisel, drill, etc and got the passenger's side rear spring hanger off.  Boy, that was WORK!, to quote Maynard G.  But, it is off w/o damaging the frame nor it, so I'm happy.

To install the bracket the instructions say, with the bold emphasis being mine:

9. The holes that are in the frame are not perfect round 1/2” holes and the bolts will not fit through them. To install the Lo-Pro shackle hangers we first take a 1/2” drill bit or die grinder to the bottom two holes in the frame until they fit the 1/2” bolt. After the bolts fit through the frame, install the shackle hanger with the machined 1/2” bolt in forward hole and 1/2x1.5” bolt in rear hole. Suck up the bottom bolts (3/4 socket) tight and you will see most of the side holes are close but don’t line up perfect; generally, we take a die grinder to the holes to clearance them, install the rest of the bolts in the shackle hanger, and torque to spec.

I drilled the bottom holes 1/2" per the instructions, but couldn't figure out what the "machined bolt" is.  And, having slipped the bracket in place and tightened the bottom bolts up I could see that the Sky bracket's holes were about 3/16" too high for the factory holes.  In fact, in the pic above you can see where they'd hit if installed as per the instructions as I scribed the holes onto the frame.

So I called Erik for the second time today.  Turns out the "machined bolt" has the hex trimmed to clear  the spring bracket, as shown below.  And, while I had him I asked if I can slip a piece of 3/16" stock between bracket and the bottom of the frame to space it down and line the holes up.  Yep, so that's my plan.

Here's the shot from below showing the machined bolt on the left/front:

And, here's the bracket in place w/o the 3/16" spacer.  You can see how the holes will line up better with the spacer installed.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It seems like product development really has some work to do in order for that RSK to be close to right. *roll eyes

You and Bill both get to be guinea pigs this week!  
 Jim,
12345 ... 12