Sky's Front Superduty RSK on a 2wd

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
68 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sky's Front Superduty RSK on a 2wd

VWThomason
So I've finally got to the front of the truck and I got it completely stripped today so that I can start installation on Sky's RSK using superduty springs to convert my truck into 4wd. Mind you this kit is not intended for 2wd trucks so there are things you will have to measure out and drill on your own.

I got the front end completely stripped of all suspension components. And this is where I am right now.

I am starting by installing the rear shackle hangers first because those will be what is constant when pulling other measurements. 3 bolts in and there is a slight problem with getting to the top front bolt to drill the frame out. Below are measurements provided by Gary and then what I currently have prepped up on the frame.

I'm hoping that I can maybe remove the body mount bushing and drill a pilot hole at least from the outside. Or now that I'm thinking about it again I'll probably just have to make a paper/cardboard template and use that to mark my hole on the inside of the frame.
The Polar Bear - 1986 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually. Starting life as a 2wd 6.9 C6 truck. Now has Cummins P-pump that is slightly turned up. Running ZF-5 transmission with BW4407 transfer case. Converting to 4wd with some help from a SKY RSK kit with SD springs on top of a 1996 Dana 60. Also using the SKY kit to convert the rear to 2008 springs. More to come.

Clifford - 1993 F250 7.3 IDI ATS 088 turbo with a ZF-5 behind it and 4.10 gears. Lifted along with solid axle D60 swap. Running Baja military 37s
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sky's Front Superduty RSK on a 2wd

salans7
I made a paperboard template and found my pilot hole based off the lower hole and the measurements Gary provided. I was able to drill from inside the frame, but my truck has no drivetrain currently, so that made it easy.
Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
salans7 wrote
I made a paperboard template and found my pilot hole based off the lower hole and the measurements Gary provided. I was able to drill from inside the frame, but my truck has no drivetrain currently, so that made it easy.
That's what I did just now. Bracket is on! Had to stop and eat supper though. I was hungry!
The Polar Bear - 1986 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually. Starting life as a 2wd 6.9 C6 truck. Now has Cummins P-pump that is slightly turned up. Running ZF-5 transmission with BW4407 transfer case. Converting to 4wd with some help from a SKY RSK kit with SD springs on top of a 1996 Dana 60. Also using the SKY kit to convert the rear to 2008 springs. More to come.

Clifford - 1993 F250 7.3 IDI ATS 088 turbo with a ZF-5 behind it and 4.10 gears. Lifted along with solid axle D60 swap. Running Baja military 37s
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I was thinking "That sure looks familiar."  Then I realized why.  

Anyway, your installation is going well.  You'll beat me to using it, and I'm anxious to see what you think.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
Well I had to pause on getting the passenger side rear hanger on. I currently have a NV4500 behind my 12v and I'm sure it's partly the design of the transmission, but also that the engine and trans are slighty set more in favor of the passenger side. Roughly 6-7" on the passenger side and a full foot on the drivers side. I'm swapping to my ZF5 anyway so I'll have to pull the trans before I can finish the rear hanger so I can do all the front. It's all coming together though.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There's always something that seems to drag out a project like this.  But, you have a plan in hand, so will get there.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
Well it has been a month and I finally got the RSK finished. Thanks to Gary for the measurements on the rear hangers. I had a hard time with my passenger side one. I'm not sure if one of the bolt holes was slightly off on the bracket when it was made or I was just holding my mouth the wrong way, but I finally got it installed.

On the front brackets I started with eyeballing how it looked and where it looked right. Then I used the measurements once again that I got from Gary to get the distance for the eye to eye right on the front to rear bracket. Double checked it. Checked square with other static parts. Drilled holes for everything then lined up the box kit that comes with the kit. After getting that where all the bolts were centered in all the proper holes welded it in. I believe with it and just the spacers it should be plenty strong enough but if I run into issues after driving it I'll add in another plate to make it a complete box. Fitted everything back where it needed to be and bolted it in then bolted springs in. I'm sure hoping I get a lot of settling when the weight is applied cause this is looking like it's going to be way taller than I planned on.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  Glad you are "there".  

Want me to measure how much difference there is on mine from full droop on the lift to fully on the ground?  There's a whole lot more movement now than when it had TTB's and leaf springs.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
It should definitely settle once you put the truck on the ground. I think it will end up right where you want it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Big Blue drops 3 3/4" when the weight is put on the wheels.  That's with everything but the winch and cooling system in.  Bumper, dual batteries, engine, tranny, t-case, etc are all in.  I'm going to guess that it'll settle another 1/4" with everything.  But right now the truck is level, with the top of the wheel well openings at 41" to the floor.

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
That's about how much I need mine to settle! With all your extra stuff you're about the same weight that I will be on the front end. Going to try and get the axle under it tonight or this weekend and we shall see.

I'm gonna have to buy some dolly's or roll it out of my shop on jacks though. That side of my shop I've been working in, the door only opens just above 6ft. *face palm*
Wasn't thinking about having a roll up garage door when I built the addition or that I would be putting a big truck in it lol.

I sold my parts truck a few weeks ago and the day after I realized I needed the brake hose brackets for the front since on the 2wd it's part of the coil bucket. Another *face palm*
So, I need to get to picknpull and get them off another truck soon.

Fixing to take the rear driveshaft to get shortened and balanced today. Way cheaper than I thought it would be too. But I'm sure new ujoints are gonna be what breaks the camel's back on what I have budgeted for that part.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Did you see these from Sky?

SKY Offroad Brake Line Brackets

Little too rich for my blood, so I made my own out of some similar thickness sheet steel. There's really not that much too them. Bent them in my vise without much issue.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by VWThomason
Yes, there's always something you forget.  Then you realize "I should have kept that!"  But you are getting there.  

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
Did you see these from Sky?

SKY Offroad Brake Line Brackets

Little too rich for my blood, so I made my own out of some similar thickness sheet steel. There's really not that much too them. Bent them in my vise without much issue.
I had not seen those, but it actually makes it much easier for me because being able to go to picknpull will take longer than Sky can ship those to me these days lol. Thanks for the link!

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
Well, there it is. Looks like it's going to be just about perfect. It looks level right now, maybe a touch higher in the front but I think once the front end is together and full of fluids I'm going to be very happy with it!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looking good!!!!  

Don't remember if you have used springs or not like I do. but I expect a suspension with used springs to settle a bit after driving as the bushings flex and things align.  

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
Gary,
The front are new springs and the rear springs have about 100k miles on them. I'm a lot more confident it's going to be sitting where I want it to now that it's on its own weight.

Now I just have to decide if I'm going to try and run the sway bar or not. My other truck doesn't have one and I've never noticed an issue, but it is also on a lot tighter springs. How about you, are you running a front swaybar?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have the sway bar and the brackets, but pulling the links to the sway bar on the old TTB helped the ride significantly, so I'm going to start without it.

If I remember correctly, there was going to be some fabrication needed to make longer links.  So I decided to do without and see how it goes.

And the new springs will surely settle some.  It is going to be just what you wanted.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Glad to see it sits where you want it! Can't wait to see the truck with the front clip back on.
Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
Gary,
I'd definitely have to make new links or buy some longer ones for sure. I think I'm going to just pull it off for now and see how it is.

Shaun,
I am almost ready to install it back on too. There are still a few things I am going to try and get done before mounting the front clip back on since everything is so easy to get to without it on. Hopefully soon though!!